Page 8 of 116 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: IlayaRaja's New Albums 2013-15 - Mahendran film/Thaarai thappattai/Mythri

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now that we looking forward to movies of Raja in 2012, here are some thoughts of mine as to why 2012 is going to be a critical year for Raja and his fans.

First thing I could gather from whatever has been happening last year is that Raja has slowly realized two things: One, he is still a big brand in South India. Second, there is a need for brand building if you want to maximize the value of your brand.

The first step taken in this direction was when Raja signed up with Malabar Gold. That was definitely an indication that he was realizing the value of his brand. Then comes the fact that nowadays he appears in almost all music releases, in movie publicity etc. The high point of this was the year end live concert.

His understanding of market seems to have made him more flexible. Subashree Tanikachalam in her facebook updated had noted that Raja read out exactly what was given to during the concert publicity campaign. He flew down to Andhra a couple of times to publicize the audio of 'SreeRamaRajyam'. In most of the film publicity that he appears nowadays he speaks safely. While he does once in a while give his opinion of things, he is more subdued nowadays and talks to the point. The publicity of 'Dhoni' is an example. He doesn't hesitate to face the camera nowadays, it looks like.

You can also infer that he is listening to feedback by the fact that he has stopped singing much in the movies that he is scoring now. Last year we heard him sing 'kudhikira' from ASK and 'kaatu vazhi' from 'Tandavakone' (I am discounting the song in 'Ayyan' which was recorded much earlier.) Both those songs required Raja's voice and in case of 'kudhikira' it is said that the team insisted he sing it. Secondly, there has been no Bhavatharini in his recent songs. In olden days he may given 'avanithumbi' or 'chengkadhir' to Bhava but nowadays he has not been using her. One more indication that he is hearing the market.

His flexibility is also seen when he readily agreed to Prakash Raj for a full manual orchestra, letting Jaya TV folks (and fans) chose the songs for the concert and when he agreed to Bapu's request for tuning to all pre-written lyrics. I guess he has always been flexible but somehow an image of him being an inflexible person had been painted. Now I see a focused building of an image which shows the flexible side of his.

So what will this lead to? This is an important question to us fans. First, I think more producers and directors may be willing to approach him, once they are sure they can put in a request to him for something they want. Additionally they will also be clear that Raja will participate in the publicity drive, which has become an inevitable feature of film business nowadays. Given this, I believe there are higher chances of Raja taking up more movies in the near future.

Ofcourse, we have to realistic as well. As of now I don't think the young heroes of today will work with him given the need of their fans for a certain kind of music. For example, heroes like Vijay, Ajit or Mahesh Babu etc may not switch over from their current favorites. What I feel will happen is that whenever a movie has high emotional content the director will approach Raja. 'Dhoni' is an example. Similarly any devotional / mythological movie may have the directors approaching Raja for music. Everyone knows how much depth he can add to a movie with his BGM and I wouldn't be surprised if some directors take up different subjects confident that Raja will score for them.

Last year we saw films like 'SreeRamaRajyam' and 'Snehaveedu' doing well. The music of "SreeRamaRajyam' was received very well and so there is lot of expectations on the Sathya Saibaba movie. The trailer of the Kannada film 'Prasad' looks good. I am sure 'Dhoni' will release soon. Hopefully Raja will sign up movies which actually release rather than movies like 'Thandavakone' and 'Sengaathuboomiyile' which still lie in the cans.

All in all, as I said, this year will be the one where we will have a clear of what is in store for fans like us in the near future. My assessment is that Raja has now accepted the realities of the market and has changed himself to be in tune with it. I for one am happy with it. For I know whatever external changes he makes, his music quality will never change and he will never compromise of the musical front. So more power to him. Which indirectly says, more power to us

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajasaranam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bala (Karthik) View Post
    +1 on the nominations :abaara contribution:

Rajasaranam's absence is kandikkathakkadhu, though
    Yov ennamo neenga ingaye thavam kedakkura mathiri pesareenga RaajavukkE oru hibernation period irunthathu Rajasaranathukuu irukka koodaatha?

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Rhytm, if u are from this page, please remove the below link..IDHAYAM POGUDEY SYMPHONY

Senior Member Diamond Hubber sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by krish244 View Post
    RR, IR's photo in the beginning of this thread is very good. Thanks for the same. Keep forgetting to mention this to you!

thanks,

Krishnan

Among many fotos, i find the below one very nice, with lakshanam too

Vishwaroopam is a 220+ Crores Record breaking Blockbuster!
    https://twitter.com/KamalHaasanFans

Uttama Villain Reviews Collection - http://goo.gl/MSBVxv

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats to all prolific postors Suresh, ragas, V_S for infusing a new lease of life to this hoary thread that was actually gasping for oxygen a few years before. Congrats are also due for Krish244, SKV,K for posting every news titbit about Raja feom nook and corner.
    As observed by Suresh, 2010 had a long , dry spell and 2011, opening with “aiyaiyo” Ayyan, I didn’t have high hope . But Ponnar Sankar did kindle some expectation in the aftermath of Kalaignyar’s UO.
    Ponnar Sankar is my IR album for 2011 with 4 out of 6 songs capturing my fancy.
    “Bhavani varugira” is my song of the year for its unusually catchy rythms, scale shift,
    IR’s experimentation with tribal folk fusion after many years and Shreya G to top it all.
    Malar villile – my next pick has the breathtaking prelude. Postlude, beautiful BrindhavanaSaranga based tune, Shreya’s honey laced vocals , just ordinary interludes not withstanding.
    Kannai padithen- Pleasing retro melody which is a fav of many here
    Thedi vandha – Laid back Gowrimanhohari and Shreya’s sensual singing
    The next album that I liked is Snehaveedu for its highlight being MELODY.
    Chandrabimbathin – Has that superb swerve in rhythm , set to Sriranjini and undoubtedly my pick.
    Chengathir kaiyum – Fir its asymmetric meter that was a thing of past esp with Raja
    Amruthamay – Hari’s soothing voice and a breezy tone
    Third is the most popular SriRamaRajyam which has bunch of melodies and which is heard often too. But I could not hide a tinge of disappointment as this musical has the least novelty from Raja. He has taken a very safe stance of using all clichéd ragas like Suddhadhanyasi, SindhuBhairavi, Keeravani, Hindolam instead of venturing into new ragas [reminded of magical Balanagamma, Kovil pura] . Despite sliding to number 3, I consider “Devulle menchulle”, “Srirama lera” and “kalaiya nijama”
    Close to my heart. “Devulle menchulle” reinforces my belief that Raja can still recreate those late 70’s magical tunes if only he decides. How many of u feel this song resembles “vizhiyile malarndhadhu” and “vetri vetri” of Kattumarakkaran , to some extent? The transition during the Sita swayamvar portion ls truly mesmerizing.

Then the remaining movies Sengathubhoomiyile, Thandavakone and ASK did not appeal to me

Underrated song of 2011 - Devulle Menchulle, Malar villile

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    thumburu,

Yes, I also love 'chengkadhir' for that asymmetric rhythm and the way the instruments join in precision. Raja's complete control over WCM material is here for all to hear. When I heard it initially, it took me some time to figure out the rhythmic things he was doing. It is basically a mishra chapu song and in the second part of the charanam, he takes off after 5 syllables, thus giving lot of asymmetry to the song, which makes it all the more interesting.

As I had written in the review of the CD, in case of 'SreeRamaRajyam', Raja seems to have been clear as to what was needed and gave just that. Inspite of saying it, I must confess that songs like 'SreeRama Lera' had a certain amount of complexity, making people wonder what the ragam is. I loved 'Ramyanamu'. Though based on oft used Sindhubhairavi, Raja was able to give a very unique color to it and bring out myriad expressions using the same raga. A master class again.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Raaja in SRR 50th Day function

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/t...nts/31716.html

Raaja in SRR 50th day celebrations in Hyderabad.. in high spirits with SPB..

Seems raaja is attending lots of functions nowadays.. interesting !!!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber VinodKumar's's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    // Dhoni - hmmm padam pera paatha veli oorla kandipa odathu pola // - Sorry for dig

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Expecting Dhoni's audio launch soon. It seems it is going to be a grand launch.
    http://600024.com/prakash-raj-has-mo...ak-with-dhoni/

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Friends, the 'cliched ragas' discussions can be continued here. Let's keep the current thread for discussing new albums only. Thanks!

Page 8 of 116 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast