View Poll Results: What is ur choice?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Who cares...as long as I am entertained.

2 22.22%
  • Dark themes is not a big problem

1 11.11%
  • I prefer gripping creative stories, climax which leaves me with a fresh feel

6 66.67%
  • Happy fairy tales/ masala mixes/ family senti alls well that ends well

0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What kinda stories / climax you prefer

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Violence entha kAlattulathAn illa. Cavemen would gather and talk about how they massacred their rivals, raped the women and killed the children. These stories translated into mythology and legends which are filled with violence. It is considered normal for a noble man in Roman empire to have little boys as servants and companions. By keep telling stories with lots of butterfly and ladybirds, we are being in denial.

Films does not have to be too real, then they are documentaries, but it should reflect a bit of life so that we can relate to them. And there are violence everywhere, around us, sometimes within our family.

A little bit of everything should be there, and that makes a very entertaining film.

But then....but then....I guess as you age you tend to be a lot more calmer. I am rewriting the novel I wrote eleven years ago, and I find myself removing the violent scenes

Fav ending: Open type, let the viewer do the interpretation and beat each other up till bloody pulp

Example: 2001: Space Odyssey
    Tamil film example: Gauvaram - did anyone think how he died?
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Shakthiprabha's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    prasanna, ennavo ponga...

groucho,

yeah.... but i feel its partially age and partially how u are built.
    punnagai mannan climax kaaga appove 1 week manasu sariyillaama irunthirukken... guess some of us are made very delicate...sigh. I do agree therez violence everywhere around, I DONT totally dislike such movies. but HOW U PRESENT or convey it matters.

None can deny, with more violence, society is dragged more into it. We reap what we sow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    Good thread SP.

My priorities:

1. Film combined with art and love, classic example like Salangai Oli, Thillaana MohanaambaL. I know it is too much nowadays to ask for such a film.
    2. Mythological/historical films, absolutely love it.
    3. Feel good entertainers (with good script) which creates an impact and thinking after a long time after we have watched the film. It need not have fairy tale/happy ending, classic example being Mudhal mariyaathai. Recent ones like; KSY, Nandhalaala.
    4. Good humor/rom-com films like MMKR, Sathileelavathi, Panchathantram, PKS etc.
    5. Good Folk based stories combined with humor like Azhagar Saamiyin Kudhirai, Thooral ninnu pocchu, Mundhaanai mudichu, Indru poi naaLai vaa with absolutely no aruvaaL kalaachaaram. Still greedy to look back to 'karagam' with Annan again.
    6. Dark films like Naan KadavuL, Mahanadhi, Pithamagan, Sethu.
    7. Crime and suspense thrillers like Yudham sei (definitely there was violence), but the content was too good to forget about that. If they can bring the violence element like Sigappu ROjaakkal, Athe KaNgaL, Kaithiyin Diary that would be awesome.
    8. Action thrillers like Ayan.
    wow vs... i am with u all through, exept for point no. 6 choices ...

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks all...lemme sum up my choices under diff themes. Its not just SUMMING UP choices, like groucho said, strong themes CAN BE CONVEYED in a mild way. thamizh la ilai marai kaay marai nnu solvaanga.... There are lot of dark themes, painted beautifylly.

"udhirippookaL" ... is a classic example. ithaiye ippo irukara directors kitta kudunga....
    kizhichu, udhaichu, ratha aarai odi, add LIBERAL bad mouthing which sprinkles "realistic" approach!!! kooda rendu illegal distasteful approach.

"thevar magan" evlo azhagaana movie..... violence thaan...romba mosaamaana violence kadaseela...but it did NOT leave bad taste. I can list many such movies on ANTI-happy themes, which did not leave u depressed.

Post Thanks / Like
    n number of mythologies, histories, comedies, senti family hits, thrillers, romance are my favourites. I try to quote few examples to categorise the following as DIFFERENT in presentation (irrespective of the shade of the theme)

uthirippookaL, AvaL appadith thaan (give such a theme to current generation... I need not say the output, you know), Nizhal nijamagarathu, manmathan, andha naaL, muthal mariyathai, engiruntho vanthaaL, babu, aaril irunthu arubathu varai, hey ram.

hey ram evlo vithyasamaana approach in story telling!

"anbe sivam" is a perfect example of HOW TO PRESENT a tragic movie....yet give it a feather touch which is soothing...it pats in the back with .... "and life goes on"... climax

ALL i wanna say is this.....

Any art form, for it to be DIFFERENT, need not put on bloody robe, be saddistic, talk on illegal sex, slash the body into pieces,.....EN?....ENNA realistic themes-aam..... I insist realistic tragedy or even sadddism can be conveyed POETIC and with feathery mild touch.

Art is definitely needed to throw light on reality. No denying. Someof us want to it to be done with .....aritistic taste. avo thaan.
    Last edited by Shakthiprabha; 2nd April 2012 at 12:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to see crime films, murder mystery, where whodunit is not the thing, but why and the journey. The mystery may not even be solved, but it was a good ride.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    paruthiveeran, mynaa, innoru padam... kathalil vizhunthen nnu oru mokka padam....
    trend these days is to.....show happy romance... (appove namakku engayo idikkuthe nnu irukkum) apram either she falls from her bycycle and dies, or he falls sick with a disease which attacks one in 100000 million...different aa epdi tragedy kondu varathunnu ROOM POTTU yosikaraanga....

I find this approach DISTASTEFUL. my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Shakthiprabha; 2nd April 2012 at 11:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070 View Post
    I'd love to see crime films, murder mystery, where whodunit is not the thing, but why and the journey. The mystery may not even be solved, but it was a good ride.
    I am sure u would have watched "memories of murder" (korean)....
    violence thaan....but pudichuthu.......violence WENT WITH THE FLOW of the story......
    it was not CREATED to fit in awkwardly, like how said tamizh movies of current era is treading.

menakettu, yoschu, intelligence waste panni..........tragedy aakkaraanga.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yudham Sei - the ride was more interesting than the solving of the murder.

Post Thanks / Like
    SP, you have to watch this film baaNa kAthAdi.
    Actually a pretty good film till the end which - to spoil a surprise for you - illustrates what the MTC buses instruct us about: padiyil payaNam nodiyil maraNam.

It's hilariously absurd how they just stick that ending in unnecessarily.
    kadhaiyai sandhOsamA mudichchA police pudichchirumA?
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast