Page 272 of 400 FirstFirst ... 172222262270271272273274282322372 ... LastLast
Results 2,711 to 2,720 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    That hey unnaithaane interlude was a precursor to some programme in radio ceylon in late 80s, early 90s.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The post modernist kuththu song sung by Malaysia "salaam podu guruve idhu salt kotta siluve" is from this movie - a point worth noting.
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Post Thanks / Like
    Why is it post-modernist, jai? it is quite a while we discussed post-modernism in these parts, for one. It might bring rajasaranam back, for another.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why is it post-modernist, jai? it is quite a while we discussed post-modernism in these parts, for one. It might bring rajasaranam back, for another.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ha ha ha - it is post modernist from primarily the fusion achieved with a purpose - kuthu blends with jazz/blues mirroring the situation of "vandalism of a high end sarakku hotel by a TASMAC entity" . Playfully done - but pertinent throughout. It is "Thottathula paathi katti" done with a nihilist frame of mind (aimed at creating chaotic cacophony as opposed to harmonious social commentary the former offers)..
    <to myself> habba eppdiyo innikku pournami dhaannu justify panniyaachu + topic ukkum oru reference kuduthaachu - Soona paana - nee idhai ippdiye maintain panraa </to myself>
    <to plum> ippo enna seiveenga - ippo enna seiveenga - aa javalakadi ippo enna seiveenga? </to plum>
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Post Thanks / Like
    #254 காதல் மகராணி
    (காதல் பரிசு, 1987 , ஜானகியுடன்)

I'm not sure how sickly MGR was when this movie came out and whether he was really in a position to enjoy / comment upon film music. Had he been in good health and if RMV played him the songs, this could probably be the only one that earned his smile of approval. A typical MGR-ish song with SPB / SJ in good form and easily the better number in this album IMO. IR chips in with enjoyable drum work and peppy orchestration as well. (On-screen wasn't good IIRC). During the time of the arrival of this album, I have not associated this number with that movie, though this got played frequently at teakkadais as well.

This was the time period when I spent more time with my walkman with cassettes full of beauties from pre-87 and the songs of this year weren't given due recognition. Ofcourse, with some exceptions such as sheNbagamE & then pANdichchemaiyilE that were in more than one recorded cassette (I had the echo one also later on). Especially the EOP numbers were a rage everywhere. One specific instance of me hearing both kAdhal parisu & EOP songs together was during a visit to V'nagar where my grandma still lived with her youngerst daughter & s-i-l on this big Panasonic player - EOP was heard 90% of the time but KP was possibly heard once or twice only! (BTW, lost grandpa during my college days, the dearest-relative-ever-for-me, who told innumerable personal life stories to me over the years - his siRRannaikkodumai ones, how he got adopted by Ettayapuram maharAjA for a few years and enjoyed araNmanai life, coming out of it and his teaching career where he could give tution to KK's relatives, his pets that included a deer, his adventures that included walks in dry Nellai & Mugavai areas where cobras / koLLaiyarkaL abounded etc...my whole bus journey from college to his funeral was a shameless cry-cry-cry trip).

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, if anyone is looking for some hilarious reading, please check out the wikipedia page for kAdhal parisu

oru sEmbiL here :

This is surely one movie where Kamal's role and performance pales in comparison to the collective power of an outstanding performance by two of the greatest and most beautiful actresses in South.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    #252 கூக்கூ என்று குயில் கூவாதோ?
    (காதல் பரிசு, 1987 , ஜானகியுடன்)

kadhal mannan, kadhal chakravarthi, Ultimate romantic heart, India ever has produced ellamey...namba Ilayaraja dhaan!

Hillside flute for the lilting Bala And Janu.

I love the second charanam.

Bala sings with so much konjal and Raja's romantic flute passage fill-in after mehangaley.....,
    Janu

Fantastic time, we grew up, App-Eng!
    thanks,
    Vinatha.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for HEY...UNAITHTHAANEY.....

DISCO ilayaraja is always popular just like folk raja or carnatic raja or every other types of raja!

We are always in the mood for Vikram or Anand or sakala kalaavallavan songs.

IR rules , thanks to Bala for delivering the songs immortal.
    Last edited by baroque; 10th January 2012 at 04:55 AM.

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    BA of our team was telling about the remark our Indian teammate made to her about me, after seeing my pic that was taken by another ChennaivAsi who recently visited our place: 'Hey, I was thinking that this guy must be young but he is so grey'...
    Udane you could have replied like your favorite director Sundarrajan "Still I am a young!"
    Courtesy: http://bit.ly/yh3SVx

Like a great blessing, this recording shop which is very close to the bus station started to play this song aloud in a terrific music system and I was flying (instantly recognizing that this must be a recent IR number)! Well, from that point of time, I've heard it many times on buses and never had a chance to know the name of the movie. Still, I was sure that it was an IR song
    App, this, this, this! College + first few years of work are certainly the peak of one's life when it comes to appreciating art and you must count yourself extremely fortunate to have enjoyed Rasa's peak in that period of your life. I was lucky to have Tendulkar at this stage although his best works werent as frequent as IR's.

OTOH, I never had a chance to watch vElaikkAran on theater when it arrived (self-declared-cinema-viradham for a few months during that time period I think) but watched on VHS a few years back
    Velaikkaran was telecast as the Sunday evening movie in Oct 1989 last week on DD. I definitely enjoyed the first half of the movie though, not sure why you didnt.

Ofcourse, she was on the cover of every mag / talk of the town everywhere!
    thangappEN!
    Apparently the athletics part of the Asian Games starts only in the 2nd week and India was still gold-less at Seoul 86. Rajiv Gandhi had contacted the Sports Minister(KP Singh Deo at that time?) as to why we were yet wihtout a gold and the Minister asked PM to wait till Week 2 when Usha's events start. Rajiv then said something to the effect of 'Then send only Usha to the games'.

There used to be a program called Baaton Baaton Mein on Thu 8PM on DD(hosted by Uday Hande?) those days and after Usha's return, she was featured on the show. The interviewer spoke only Hindi and Usha only English, so I doubt if at all they had a meaningful conversation going. The 1st koschan he asked was the expansion of PT, which by then every kid in the neighborhood had mastered with the spelling(Pilavulakkandi Thekkuparambil)

My movie viewing had come down a little bit (after whole-year-topper-of-almost-250 in sem 2, I was close to class bottom within the 40-strong ECE in sem 3... so working on some damage control from sem 4, got great dividends topping the class in sem 6 & 7).
    You read and listened to all this and still had acads like dis?

BTW, you watched Salangai Oli on the same day Kapil scored 175??
    Last edited by al_gates; 10th January 2012 at 06:42 AM.