Page 254 of 400 FirstFirst ... 154204244252253254255256264304354 ... LastLast
Results 2,531 to 2,540 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    All his first 4 were silver jubilee, 200 day, 300 day kind of runs (16V, KPR, SR, PV). I'm not sure whether any of the later ones had similar level of success. May be AO matched them in crowd response but none other possibly.
    (i.e. Regardless of whether each one was a commercial success or flop...
    AFAIK, following were not money-losers: NMP, MV, MM, PP, OKD, KK, KC.
    Possible money-losers : N,TTT, KO, VVV, EUT, NT, TM, EN, KKS, KP, KP.
    I don't know about others, like, VP, KM, K'mA etc ).
    Oh I See, for some reasons,. I tend to like BR movies more than KB
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    #233 ஒரு நிலவும் மலரும்
    (நானும் ஒரு தொழிலாளி, 1986 , ஜானகியுடன்)

The third SPB-SJ duet from the same movie, another song with flower in the pallavi (interestingly, the fourth and last song that will be posted tomorrow from the same movie also has pushpam in it ). With an awesome start and a real racy pallavi, the song is instantly catchy. The saraNam kind of kills the spirit - especially with some jingidi-chikkA sounds that our friend irir123 will be happy to post about - but the interludes and some excellent singing by SPB-SJ save the song overall. Kamal possibly enjoyed the song on-screen like 'varuthu-varuthu-vilaku-vilaku'. Those who have seen the movie / youtube, please post how it was picturized. Highly possible that it was a "dance" number (per Plum, 'kai-kAl Attal' number ).

I think the movie didn't do well on BO. In any case, a couple of my classmate-colleagues who watched it didn't have anything good to say about it. Which meant that I was content with that "Sultan Pettai junction poster" and didn't bother much about the movie. I don't know what the connection with NOT and Sultan Pettai but my mind keeps lingering on that junction as soon as I started with the songs of this movie

Well, one more trip there in this post doesn't hurt. This was another restaurant, in the other side of the junction from Ashok Bhavan (i.e. east or Coimbatore road side, Ashok Bhavan was on the west / Palakkad town side). This was called "Elite" and was very dimly lit inside (actually dark, possibly they let the regular 230 volt bulbs with KSEB supply and didn't bother about transforming it). Hardly any crowd but fantastic food - parottA / peas masAlA was awesome and we used to visit every now and then, one of our co-workers who worked for the spares department was a regular there.

There was another Coimbatore Engineer who used to visit this place regularly and his favourite was fried rice. (It was really good and so was egg-parottA). However, our collegues weren't very enthusiastic about going with him there. (Reason? He was so fond of ketch-up and used to practically empty the bottle on the table with a plate of fried-rice it seems ). Anyways, before long, the business didn't run well and the owner converted it later on to 'Elite fancy store' selling plastic stuff and now it was so bright with all tube lights My wife bought our first "chopping board" in that shop (apart from a couple of blastic buckets) when we started our kudiththanam.
    Last edited by app_engine; 19th December 2011 at 11:53 PM.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    I think the movie didn't do well on BO.
    That's an understatement. I could even hear it crash here in Malaysia Sridharrrrr...
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Naanum Oru thozhilali KH padama Never seen it, all this time based on the Titile, I thought it was VK Movie !
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Post Thanks / Like
    #234 பட்டுப்பூவே
    (நானும் ஒரு தொழிலாளி, 1986 )

The SPB solo from this KH movie that makes it to the hit song list, apart from the 3 SPB-SJ duets that we've already posted about. Fast and jubilant / energetic number where the singer excels with his typical boyish enthu. For some reason, this song used to remind me of the SJ number 'nAn dEvadhai' from the movie soolam (music by IR, don't remember any other details now, from the early 80's, frequently on radio those days). Similar construct - may be even the same rAgA (experts please confirm). With some interesting wind instrument sounds and guitar accompaniment, this song is typical of 80's "club" numbers. So, one can expect some female with 'jigina-jigu-jigA' constume dancing with Kamal on-screen.

This movie also had a couple of female solos (one by SJ, another by VJ) and another SPB number 'mandha veLi' that does not evoke much memory and so I discounted that number from making into the thread. All the songs of this movie were typically on loudspeakers / buses, even in a non-TN location like Palakkad. So, I assume they were heard quite a bit inside TN as well. More than IR or Sridhar, Kamal must have been the reason for the reach of these songs as they were not extra-special by musical POV alone.

No big nostalgia with this song - since the term 'Sultan Pettai' was mentioned in the posts of other three songs, I'll add that here as well. With the additional information that the "Sultan" mentioned is none other than Mr Tippu Sultan (he had a fort in Palakkad and I lived a few hundred meters from that fort for a couple of years and will talk about it in a future post...this guy had quite a bit of leftovers in the Malabar area. One interesting thing is the name of a town - in Malayalam it is called 'sulthAn baththERi'. The British name was - or the English name even today for that place is - Sultan's Battery )
    Last edited by app_engine; 21st December 2011 at 04:23 AM.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    App,
    Sorry to miss your posts for the past two weeks. Not in town.
    Amman Koil Kizhakkaale was one of my favorite movies that time (guilty pleasures? ). Only sore point was Annan's comedy was missing. Senthil alone could not match up to it.
    I will have to do a lot of catch-up. Keep it going sir. As Annan says, 'neenga pOrapadi pOnga, naan kadaisiya vanthu senthukkuren'.

Thanks rajkumarc for your kind words. Really happy to see your comments.
    Last edited by V_S; 21st December 2011 at 08:28 AM.

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    App,

Good to read about the topography of Palakkad and you made it interesting. Talking about Meendum Suriyodayam, I too remember that was the name mentioned in the Malayalam posters. Actually the movie was started in 1981 as a cinema scope venture and the name of the movie at that point of time was Sakthi. Kamal and Ambika paired for the first time and it was even mentioned that Ambika comes in a swim suit and I remember Kumudham carrying a still photo of the same. Due to reasons unknown, the film was put on the back burner for quite some time and only during late 85, the shooting started again. The name was changed to Meendum Suryodayam and shooting progressed. It was planned for a April 86 release which got postponed to May 1st of 1986.

At this point of time, there was this Local bodies election in TN that took place in March 1986. Remember after coming to power, MGR never conducted any elections to Local bodies except for Madurai corporation that was held in July 1978. Imagine almost after 9 years after coming to power he conducted these elections and again he did not include Chennai. To his surprise of surprises, DMK won many of the municipalities and town panchayats and for many political observers it was a shock/surprise depending upon where they stood. So at this point Sridhar must have thought that if the movie releases with Meendum Suryodhayam title, it would be seen as if they are welcoming DMK's re-emergence. Again Sridhar had one more title with him. Naanum Oru Thozhilaali. Irony is Sridhar under his own banner Chithralaya had started a movie with MGR in the lead titled Naanum Oru Thozhilaali in the mid 70s and that saw only one day's shoot and folded up.[It was a practice that the producer /director of a MGR movie that was under the verge of completion should start another movie with him and only then the earlier film would be completed. NOT was done to finish Urimai Kural and APN had to start Pilot Raju to finish Navarathinam]. So Meendum Suryodhayam was dropped like a hot potatoe and the film was rechristened as Naanum Oru Thozhilaali and the film got released on 1st of May 1986.

One interesting tidbit is Sridhar had one more release on the same day named Yaaro Ezhuthiya Kavidhai. About which I had written a short note in POW thread during my hub probation period. In fact this was one of my earlier posts long before I discovered NT thread.

While hosting Sridhar’s AOM song, Ramki had given a link to a discussion about Sridhar and it made interesting reading. In that Anand Sankar as music director for Sridhar’s film was discussed. He worked for Yaaro Ezhuthiya Kavithai. This was a movie based on Vaasanthi’s kuru novel (Kalki?). A bus on a hill terrain meets with an accident and the passengers are hospitalized. Out of them one woman due to the accident is affected by amnesia and nobody comes enquiring about her. She (Jayashree) stays back in the hospital/home of the Dr. (Sivakumar). Slowly he develops a liking for her and she starts to reciprocate. They decide to get married. Suddenly there is a twist. Somebody comes in search of her and it turns out that this woman is already married and the person is her husband (Rajesh?). True to Tamizh Panpadu, Sivakumar just hands over the woman to her husband and walks back. The same movie was made in Malayalam (“Innalae” meaning yesterday) by the famous Script writer/Director Padmarajan and I was fortunate to se that. It had Shobana, Jayaram (Lover, but here her mother was the Dr. played by SriVidya) and Sureshgopi did the Husband’s role. When Sureshgopi comes in search of Shobana, Jayaram becomes angry and tells SG to get lost. SG shows all the photographs but still J refuses to believe. SG pleads and J agrees to take him to Shobana on the condition that if Shobana recoginises SG on her own, she will go with him. If not she will stay with J. SG agrees because he believes she will immediately rush to him since they were a sort of made for each other couple before she embarked alone on that bus trip. J tells her that his old time friend is coming to meet him and his “would be”. When SG arrives, Shobana comes out and with a matter of fact face welcomes him and talks to him as if she had met him for the first time. SG is crestfallen and J couldn’t hide his joy. When Shobana goes in to prepare coffee, J simply rushes in and takes her in his hands and starts kissing. Shobana is unable to understand the sudden behaviour of J and feels embarrassed because somebody is sitting in the hall. But J is uncontrollable. Imagine the plight of SG, who can make out what is happening inside. When finally J& S come out, SG is not there and is seen getting into the car and driving away. The film ends there and this knife-edge story/scenes were beautifully handled by the Director and all the lead players were excellent. Compared to this, Tamil was a damp squib and the only saving grace was two good nos by Anand Sankar, one lovely song by KJY (I don’t remember the song, though it reminded me of a old song). At the end instead of usual Vanakkam, the title card will say “Ithu Sridhar Ezhuthiya Kavithai” the only novelty if you can call this as one. Sridhar had another release “ Naanum oru Thozhilali” on the same day (May 1st, 1986) a rare incident when two films of the same director is getting released and that too on a non festival day but unfortunately both bombed at the BO

Sorry app and others for the lengthy digression.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Tamizh kalaachaaram paduththum paadu

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Murali sir, for the details!

Awesome, as usual!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    Tamizh kalaachaaram paduththum paadu
    Aama aadiku oruka aavaniku oruku vanthu register mark panrathu than unga vela pOla