Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Dharun Ravi Trial - The Myth and The Facts

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajraj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "And I haven't heard you apologize once" - Judge Berman after a long scolding. The judge also said that he would recommend against deportation. But, they are going to appeal against the sentence. That is typical of argumentative Indian mindset. Here we call it digging a deeper hole or asking for a longer rope to hang! Sad! When will the Indians learn to live with the US laws, accept responsibility and accountability?
    " I think there is a world market for may be five computers". IBM Chairman Thomas Watson in 1943.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by priya32 View Post
    Everytime when I watch a video or a news clip on TV, it breaks my heart to see the mother cry.

It sure is a relief...
    Tyler Clementi's mother cried too! http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...g_tyler_c.html

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raagadevan View Post
    Tyler Clementi's mother cried too!
    she is crying for blood no?
    I see she is wearing a cross... doesnt christianity teach, hate the sin, not the sinner?
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not think this case had anything to do with the religion, language and/or nationality of the people involved!

I have no more comments regarding this matter.

Post Thanks / Like
    just saying RD, no offense.

one mother is crying for her son
    another mother is crying for more punishment
    I see the battle of the mothers in Solomon's court.

you know which one begets more sympathy.

anyway, 30 days jail, 3 years community service and a fine... I think justice is served. its not like dharun has gone scot-free.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    I said earlier that I would have no more comments about this issue, but here I am again! I think I owe my friends an explanation about my feelings and thoughts about the Dharun Ravi case.

Just as an introduction, I am an Indian, and have lived more than half of my life in a country other than India. I am very proud of my Indian heritage, history and culture. You may not believe this; but I still have not taken citizenship in the country that I have lived in for so long because I want to remain an Indian citizen in every sense of the word. I still read The Hindu and The Times of India on line every day!

As an Indian, and a father, I am very happy that Dharun Ravi was lucky enough to have judge Berman give him just a 30-day sentence even though the jury had unanimously found him guilty of all counts of bias crimes that he was charged with, in addition to invasion of privacy and witness-tampering charges. Dharun Ravi’s actions had directly or indirectly contributed to the tragic suicide of a young man named Tyler Clementi.

However, I had a lot of difficulty with the way the issues were misrepresented and blown out of proportion by the non-resident Indians including a few of my friends. What Dharun Ravi did was wrong, socially, morally and legally; but a lot of non-resident Indians were trying to blame Clementi himself, his parents, the man who visited him, and everyone else in the world for what happened to him. The argument was that our innocent naughty little boy was just playing pranks for which he did not deserve any punishment. It looked so silly and comical to see these people demonstrating in public and signing memorandums to send to President Obama to save Dharun Ravi. Such activities might have worked in India, but not in the USA! Those people either did not know, or did not care, that the President had no power or jurisdiction in influencing a criminal case being tried in a state court! Well; they did what they could, and made news while doing it! That was all that mattered!

While it is understandable that we sympathize with the tears of Dharun Ravi’s father and mother, we can’t totally ignore the fact that Tyler Clementi also had parents, relatives and friends who were also shedding tears for him.

I would like to end this posting with two quotes from some of the blogs dealing with this case:

“To the readers practicing ethnocentrism and evaluating Mr. Ravi's 30 day jail sentence as a "fair decision": If the roles were reversed and Mr. Clementi had bullied Mr. Ravi so much he committed suicide and then Mr. Clementi received only a 30 days in jail would you call that a "fair decision" or a "travesty of justice"?”

“Judge Berman deserves praise for intelligently and reasonably balancing the relevant factors and handing down an appropriate punishment”.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raagadevan View Post
    If the roles were reversed and Mr. Clementi had bullied Mr. Ravi so much he committed suicide and then Mr. Clementi received only a 30 days in jail would you call that a "fair decision" or a "travesty of justice"?”
    I may be wrong, but wasn't it established legally that Ravi did NOT drive Clementi to his suicide? I don't think that was the charge. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NOV View Post
    I may be wrong, but wasn't it established legally that Ravi did NOT drive Clementi to his suicide? I don't think that was the charge. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Nov I agree with your above post there is a verdict out I think judge was fair ! That guy wants to stay in US , its going to be a tough uphill battle

On the role reversals and speculations etc I don't think anyone one in this thread except Rajraj and App have a moral right.. to talk about it. When you guys couldn't answer my question from day one. What if it was Girl instead of a Gay guy! would the Indian surf / robin sottu nelam culture path light bearers would be discussing in this tone?

one last personal note it was semi casey anthony. This guy got slap on his wrist he must be thanking his stars and lawyers.

one mother is crying.. becuase his son might be behind bars for x amount time
    another mother is crying becuase she will never get to see her son ever again .. and the last thing his son did was to check ravi's twitter page 37 times.. before heading tothe bridge.
    Last edited by Dilbert; 24th May 2012 at 11:08 AM.
    My onions and Signature changes according to my desperate need to be in lime light as the BIG Brother :0 - just saying..

Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Neel D's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast