Page 219 of 400 FirstFirst ... 119169209217218219220221229269319 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,190 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    #197 என்ன வேணும் தின்னுங்கடா டோய்
    (உயர்ந்த உள்ளம், 1985 )

While I absolutely dislike this song, I'll have to admit that this too had its air time when arrived

Must be because of Kamal & the high voltage marketing campaign by AVM. Raja had done his job, with some terrific wind-instrument work in the first interlude and a reasonably decent prelude but otherwise the song is a murder of taste and sensitivity. SPB freaks out with his tiger sound and relative "free-hand" (vetRRtu, dOi dOi dOi etc) but overall the song leaves one in a 'soththakkadalai menRa' feeling. Perhaps that scene was intended by the story situation / movie setting but why make a song for that?

Despite this assault on taste, the album survived thanks to that phenomenally sweet 'engE en jeevanE' by KJY (there is also an IR version) and the terrific 'kAlaiththenRal' breezie by PS. With those two fantastic numbers, rAsA survived. SPB and KH? Unfortunately did not, at least not in my eyes as they went down a bit.

That didn't help in a year when most of my favourite movies came without SPB. (mudhal mariyAdhai - MV, sindhu bhairavi - KJY, poovE poochchooda vA -KJY). He was not there in the garam masAlA oru kaidhiyin diary as well. Other than the three big hits we already talked about (UG-KC-NSM), there wasn't much SPB domination in IR albums during most part of my last college year.
    Last edited by app_engine; 6th November 2011 at 06:56 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, net resources state that MR-Motherland Pictures combo "idhayakkOyil" also came in 1985, which was a SPB dominated album.

So, add that to the three I mentioned in the last post.

For some reason, I never got a chance to watch this movie (not yet). Also, paid not much attention to the songs during college days (possibly the winding up time of the course, project work, interviews etc). I will post about those songs later, however, but I gave them proper listen only during pAlakkAdan life and was even thinking that it was a 1986-er...

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Uyarndha ullam --- some memories

# AVM made 2 MGR inspirations and 2 Sivaji inspirations with Kamal. While Thoongathey thambi thoongathey ( Enga vettu pillai sort ) and SKV ( Periya Idathu penn sort ) were silver jubilee hits, the Sivaji remakes Uyarndha Ullam ( Avandaan Manithan sort ) and Per Sollum Pillai ( Padikkaatha Medhai sort ) turned out to be duds. In fact, Per sollum Pillai was the last KH film for AVM.

# Pondicherry Ananda theatre had a decorated auto rickshaw parked on the sun shade roof on release day ( kamal drives an auto in the last half hour of the movie !!! ---- 10 years later Balaji theatre had an auto decor for "baasha" )

# "Vandaal Mahalakshmiye" was enjoyable ---- KH overdoing, SPB over singing ( Kalyaniya kasikki Puzhinji iruppaaru ), YGM's slapsticks not withstanding

# Over acting -o over acting scene in the movie is when KH distributes all his remnant wealth to the palace servants and finally remembers he has nothing left to give to the long loyal Nagapillai @ Kanakkupillai played by veteran VK Ramasamy.

# KH looks extremely handome in his full sleeved black cum red T shirt in "Kaalai Thendral" song

# "Otta chattiya vachu kittu" drew whistles from the mass crowds
    waiting for Vishwaroopam 2

Post Thanks / Like
    App, I think vandhaal mahalaksmiye is the most popular from the movie, although the other two are better standard issue melodies.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    Nevertheless, I always enjoyed those sheperding sessions, when the calf used to be in my care. It typically refused to come with us when we start home and dad'll leave it and start just with the cow. I used to get worried losing it but appA will keep walking, telling me not to worry. After leaving it behind for a few hundred meters, the cow will give a "mmmAA" call! Even if the calf had totally disappered from our sight, one should see the speed with which it rushes to its mother!

appadiyE pullarikkum!
    Very nice posts on AOM and UU. Especially the above one. Goosebumps for me too. Nothing can beat the nature!

Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi, V_S-ji!

Well, as we're approaching the #200, which I want to be a duet of SPB-SJ, there are a few choices for nEyar viruppam :

my choice #1 : pudhiya poovidhu, pooththadhu (TET)

others:
    #2 : iLa manadhu (Selvi)
    #3 : adhikAlai nEramE (MOKK)
    #4 : sOdikkiLi engE (padikkAthavan)
    #5 : kaNNil enna kArkAlam (UKNV)
    #6 : pAttuththalaivan (IK)

Please state yours...we'll see what gets most responses

Senior Member Devoted Hubber genesis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope you did not list them in order of your preference; my choice is

#6 : pAttuththalaivan (IK)

IMO this is an all-in-all SPB show.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    mmm..... I am feeling relaxed & calm this morning

so, going with adhikaalai neramey...... or kannil enna kaarkaalam...

Caressing Bala and cool Janu's adhi kaalai neramey with the dazzling second interlude violin sonata with piano

Outstanding guitar prelude of Kannil enna kaarkaalam... with soothing Bala , Janu's pathos, Vairamuthu's consoling lyrics.. All time favorites.

Rest of the songs are my favorites too.

mood maarindey erukkum

Raja pattu pottu vainga when you have time, I will return later.

vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 8th November 2011 at 12:10 AM.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    my choice #1 : pudhiya poovidhu, pooththadhu (TET)
    I am with you App.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    pAttu thalaivan of course, a cut above the rest in the list.
    நெலயா நில்லாது நினைவில் வரும் நெறங்களே