Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast

Thread: Writer/Director - Christopher Nolan

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Missed this on big screen but watched it many times on TV. Some very good comic characters (Dr. Manhattan, Rorshach and the Comedian). Has some great bgms too (Ride of the Valkyries and My fav I am the boogie man). Not for everybody though. Cinematography is top notch. Opening throwing the comedian through the glass scene -ae than namma saran asal-la adichirupaaru .

Zack Snyder the director is taking Man of Steel with chris Nolan at the story helm.
    Quote Originally Posted by VENKIRAJA View Post
    Watchmen (The Ultimate Cut).
    Rewarding experience. Was intense and very well VFXed. Enjoyed it, as much as X-Men.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

it's quite funny that the film came at the time of the great recession and as they show in this vid the american dream it did become true and we looked at that.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber VENKIRAJA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajithfederer View Post
    Missed this on big screen but watched it many times on TV. Some very good comic characters (Dr. Manhattan, Rorshach and the Comedian). Has some great bgms too (Ride of the Valkyries and My fav I am the boogie man). Not for everybody though. Cinematography is top notch.
    Doing something which Terry Gilliam and Darren Aronofsky claimed impossible is seriously laudable. And he, has done what he failed in 300 or missed in Sin City. The music, particularly reminescent of the 50s and 60s is brilliantly chosen.
    I can't say how the concise theatrical version would have felt. The wholesome Ultimate cut.. especially the elaborate comic book sequence and the extras were possibly etching me the intricacy of the characters which I might have possibly missed out without reading the graphic novel. (Which I found costs over 1500 Indian bucks on Flipkart. OMG!)
    Opening throwing the comedian through the glass scene -ae than namma saran asal-la adichirupaaru .
    Hehee. Not as funny as the Villain KSR name appearing sequence, I believe.
    Zack Snyder the director is taking Man of Steel with chris Nolan at the story helm.
    That is what triggered me into downloading this one. I am glad I did.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    America needs its heoroes.

This British guy Nolan should stop making dumb parallels to our politics though
    ...an artist without an art.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    And to someone who laughed about my 'Tale of two cities' parallel in Coffee Corner, this is for you..

Post Thanks / Like
    Zizek on TDKR: Dickens, “Cheization” of Christ, Ra's al Ghul as Atreides in Dune, Twain, radical-emancipatory struggles in "People’s power"!

Strange of Zizek to not invoke Assange given he invokes Gandhi and 'divine violence' of people's power

Imagine the guy has a typing assistant, and he read it all out in one go. With trademark nose twitch, scratching of arm pits, rough stroking of the beard and adjusting the sticky t-shirt around the chest area.

Still fashions out the best deconstruction of the politico-ideological moves in the film.

Post Thanks / Like
    In deed, this british Nolan re-imagining non-violent OWS into a violent carnage and dictactorship of the proletariat, is undemocratic commie propaganda nonsense. So I was glad that the Batman joins hand with the state establishment and puts them back in place. And glad that he's dispensed in the process, about time some true blood american took over from that Welsh-English diet freak. Also time for Gordon Levitt to put on a mask, 8 years after 'Mysterious skin'. Aligned enough for you?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the Zizek piece KG. Well, he's easier to read than watch/listen
    Still not quite sure if i get/convinced with the final point, which is the whole point of the piece, in the first place

This is why external critique of the film (“its depiction of the OWS reign is a ridiculous caricature”) is not enough – the critique has to be immanent, it has to locate within the film itself a multitude signs which point towards the authentic Event. (Recall, for example, that Bane is not just a brutal terrorist, but a person of deep love and sacrifice.) In short, pure ideology isn’t possible, Bane’s authenticity HAS to leave trace in the film’s texture. This is why the film deserves a close reading: the Event – the “people’s republic of Gotham City”, dictatorship of the proletariat on Manhattan – is immanent to the film, it is its absent center.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Post Thanks / Like
    The failure of 'real' Communist measures/regimes, the wildly pervading but evasive absence of centralization (the absent center), of 'dictatorship of the proletariat' (as in Nolan's fiction, and in reality) is his point. And an ongoing discourse of Zizek on impracticality of 'pure ideology' (in expansive works like "Mapping Ideology" and "In defense of Lost causes", it's much unlike Orwell's mode of chronicle ala 'Homage to Catalonia', where the meaninglessness of the mobilized of any multitude of ideas into singular frame as such, 'anarchists', and (in)distinction of communists to anarchists at different levels is merely presented. Zizek actually goes on to ask very many questions, which is all rooted from ideal-real prism)

He isn't offering a solution to resolve the very inherent failure in application of this 'dictatorship of the proletariat' by even the best of ideologies, and how this could be cloaked as a non-violent 'negation' (hence the part about Seeing, I'd also add the sequel Blindness as a companion piece), and how it still carries the immanence (arguably more) than as portrayed (brutal caricature), and the dangerous potential of such mobilization (To extremities) is possible, the holistic premise to panic and invite violence on to itself.

"Sublime Object of Ideology" and "Violence", describes further on the aforementioned and the plurality of mobilized unit of some size mapped as responses to impossible-real kernel.

Key to reading Zizek: Never do it in one go. Would even prescribe a in-sequential reading, key is to latch on to the many hooks in each of the chapters.

Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast