Page 77 of 401 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast

Thread: Maestro ilaiyaraaja news & titbits

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

We all have one thing in common, we Love Raja Sir's Music but some love him personaly and some doesn't. There is one answer for why he is signing random directors because he don't want to lose his form. Once he had told to Kamal Hassan that "He entered the film industry having fire in heart and very successful, now the market and the trend pulling him down , he counteracts to keep atleast to keep up the "Kanai (cinder )" by signing movies which are significant to him. I never accept "Kadal Kathai" is bad/b-grade movie, the movie has a message that Love is nothing but lust , I accept the director's view why because i never seen a boy loves a ugly girl or viceversa. What the human - says Romance (Kathal) is having a major portion of sexism in which both bodies attracted by each other. In Paa, Amitabh says in the song "Where I can do" is nothing less than a cheap scene. The movie kathal kathai shows the reality of casteism , money power , Lust in men, downtroden , betrayel etc, in broader sense this movie gives the generation a wake up call on romance.

Further , IR sir by doing the movies engage himself with new idea's eventhough it sound retro , but still better than the other lifeless songs. Now, because of his continous engagement with movies now he get NEPV , Let's see how the product delivery is ?

Also , i thoroughly enjoyed "V_S" view on the present music trend , who cares for good music. For example the movie "Nadoodigal" is a good movie have a story "out of the box" but the director least bothered about the background music and songs. If he had book IR, the movie will be a unforgetable experience of lifetime. Gone the days when movies are done by skilled participants who can share the success, Now the selfish attitude exists and if the movie is a hit the sucess should be portrayed to only one person - a narrow minded and destructive atmosphere to the whole of movie industry.
    die-hard fan of ilayaraja

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    All ilayaraaja fans association: This is a group of all fans of Raaja sir from Mayyam, facebook, orkut , twitter, myspace etc etc

breaking news: Mudalvar Mahatma : They will release the audio cd in 2 days. I have spoken to them. I have ordered for 200 cds

Need all your support

Can you commit and help us buy them?

thanks
    Kamesh

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aakarsh View Post
    V_S,

... There have been more cases of people not approaching him rather than the no. of cases where he declined them. Thats bad luck!!!

Aakarsh.. dont worry too much Music trends change with time.. does not mean the earlier composers are any less (eg. MSV). Shankar-Ganesh mentioned in one interview that the melody is the same but the rhythm arrangements change with time. So younger people gravitate towards "new sound". It is ok, even if IR does not have any movie and just sits at home (which will not be case in reality). He has achieved a lot. He can proudly retire.
    But he has so much creativity in him, I only wish that either film or other arms of the music industry make use of him.
    That said - I am very happy to see young MDs (eg. Aniruddh) making a career. IR is a genius ..but our land keeps producing so many smart people.. like you and me imagine us being composers as well ? We would have acknowledged IR and keep doing our things..
    App said it right - lets stay positive and relax, while the genius and an excellent movie maker do their job.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    படித்துறை ரீரிகார்டிங்குக்கான ஒத்திகை

Vishwaroopam is a 220+ Crores Record breaking Blockbuster!
    https://twitter.com/KamalHaasanFans

Uttama Villain Reviews Collection - http://goo.gl/MSBVxv

Post Thanks / Like
    //Heavy Digg

My Yamaha-DGX Full Size Keyboard for Sale(due to space constraints) http://bit.ly/HcXE5c 20K 5yrs-Old Like-New condition. Comes with Pedal
    Specs - http://bit.ly/eLlefw Brought for 32K (have Original Bill and personally know the dealer too)

//End Digg
    Last edited by sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar; 4th April 2012 at 05:30 AM.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber SoftSword's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    nalla autovaa irukkae adha yaenyaa vetreenga....
    Sach is Life..

Post Thanks / Like
    Space issues. Moottai katti vekkavum koodaathunnu solraanga. Native house la ithu maathiri oru 100 keyboards vekkalaam but that is rented out!

Sari, eppdiyum future la Digital Piano vaangalaam nnu solli, intha decisionkku vanthutten

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aakarsh
    This is purely the wishful thinking of the fan inside me, who wants Raaja to be selective in signing films so that his image doesn't erode due to his association with some films. Sign films that show some promise (or with promising film-makers or established film-makers who can justify his scores). for everything else, consider instrumental/private albums. I dont want him to retire from films. No. But i am fine even if he does 1 film per year. One remarkable film (or film-maker), which can assure the same respect and market-visibility.

Quote Originally Posted by aakarsh
    Thats why, his output is not a question or subject here (barring a kadhal kathai or 1 or 2 albums). His choice of channelling (read choice of films) that output is what the issue is, for me. And that has always been the issue. 70% of his film career is probably characterized by that. I know a composer cannot really have much control on the craftsmanship of a director. But in raaja's case, it appears as if Raaja had complete disregard for where his (gem) song was going.

aakarsh,
    I understand your concern. No one knows if he signed a film like Kadhal kathai (except we fans), so I don't think there is a question of image spoil. You even expressed this earlier, that 70% of his film career mainly suffered due to the choice of films. I think you came to this conclusion considering current trend and how music directors are choosy in their projects today. That's may be the norm of today not yesterday. To answer this, we have to go back in history. If you look at the history, every composer (at-least in south) before his generation starting from G Ramanathan, MKT, K V Mahadevan, Viswanathan-Ramamoorthy till Maestro, has taken almost every film which came their way. Ghantasala would also fit into this, I believe (as I don't know much about telugu industry). Suddenly since someone is very choosy, they cannot change their habits.

In 80's and 90's I think there were 80-90 films produced every year (I mean only regionally). A music director who was claimed popular (as people started liking his music more) they had to take ownership and cater to atleast 60-70% of films, as the directors and producers would only prefer them (IMHO). Only if they are busy, they will go to other alternatives. It is their responsibility to serve them (IMHO). If they say No (citing the script is not good or other reasons) and not available most of the times, they would seek other alternatives that has been the case mostly today and the quality of music on the whole (compare 2-3 films per year from a major composer followed by 95 films by other next available composers) suffers because of this. I agree we might get some outstanding quality music in those 2-3 films, but what about the rest 90% of films? Who has to take care? What would be the quality on those remaining 90%?

Again it is a matter of choice. If you just prefer to listen those 2-3 film's music of the music director of your choice and be satisfied and/or listen to rest of them and compromise (which is what we are doing today). If you only think about that Raja should be in the market (I really appreciate it, but), I think more about how many good songs are offered to us that year. That can come only from a major composer of our time (whoever it is), right? If you prefer to listen only to 2-3 soundtracks of Raja every year from his best hit films, I prefer at-least 20 soundtracks every year even from his mediocre films. In this way, atleast he addressed some scarcity in the quality. I see that way. I also see the contribution to music there, rather than only going by # of hits and market. If you want to see a quality surge or spike, I want that surge/spike to sustain for some more time, or as long as possible.

This the main reason, we are also seeing so many music directors now, as someone needs to address the remaining films. There are more than 150 films to cater per year, but there are no other competitive music directors to take those those films and every new music director thinks he can take some of them which was distributed unevenly which miserably fails in terms of quality. With so many fresh and young talents, music directors and singers, we should see better music today compared to previous years (as it is from different brains compared to single), but do we see that?.

If Raja was not available that time citing various reasons and choosing very few films (by the script/directors alone), we might not have heard Ilaiyaraaja's name in Telugu Film industry at all. In Thamizh industry also he would have been known as just another music director. The prolificacy, speed, spontaneity with quality is what Ilaiyaraaja is all about. If you take that out, he is not our Raja. He sustained that enormous pressure (still doing) and served everyone and made everyone happy (including the smallest director to the big ones). At-least I am very happy he sustained that speed and quality for so long (still doing it). I would even say if he would be doing the same number of films today, as he was doing in 80s and 90's, I could not imagine how that would be. Also whether we would be still speaking of his glorious 80's till today, if he would have composed very less films?.

If he would have ignored Eera Vizhi KaaviyangaL, is there a possibility that we could have heard that music?. That's why he is an encyclopedia having covered almost every genres/styles in his music. Despite doing a fewer number of films now, we don't know how much more music he is writing daily, which we cannot see the light at all. Already he is doing only few films now, if he has restrict that too, like appushiva mentioned, people might totally forget him. He got into NPEV only because he is still doing more music. If he would have been very selective and also doing mainly instrumental/private albums, entry again into mainstream films would be so hard. But I agree with you if he had given some private albums, but the main problem with that one is someone has to sponsor.

I don't know if you have enjoyed going to music shop every week to buy/record a cassette of Maestro. The joy of expecting a new release every week and rushing to the store to buy/record cannot be explained in words. I could not imagine, if he would chosen only fewer films in 80's/90's.

But on the other hand, taking a little diversion, if you take hindi music scenarios from 40's, 50's till 70's, no single music director can be said to have taken control single-handedly, as every director is different in their style and substance. You cannot ignore any single music director, starting from this line-up; Shankar-Jaikishen, C Ramchandra, Naushad, Madan Mohan, Roshan, S D Burman, O P Nayyar, Salil, Khaiyyam, R D Burman and many more, even if you are a fan of one. That's the quality of music those days. These music directors were choosy (except a few like SJ, RDB), still we got a variety of songs in various genres reflecting our culture. Even though they shared the credit, there was no suffering from the quality perspective. Still we are listening to it. This is not the same today. Today, even if you give a big hit and become popular, people forget it next day. Again it is a choice which one do you prefer. Whether you prefer one music director to rule the music scenario (whoever it may be) or share the credit with some mediocre music directors. I definitely prefer the former.

PS: No offense to any music directors, this is just my personal view all.
    Last edited by V_S; 4th April 2012 at 08:45 AM.

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kiru View Post
    It is ok, even if IR does not have any movie and just sits at home (which will not be case in reality). He has achieved a lot. He can proudly retire.
    But he has so much creativity in him, I only wish that either film or other arms of the music industry make use of him.

App said it right - lets stay positive and relax, while the genius and an excellent movie maker do their job.
    No! No retirement please! He is like sherlock holmes.. his mind will rebel against stagnation... give him work.. give him situations... let the music flow...

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    V_S,

That was a lengthy post which was slightly unnecessary because I very much understand your points and agree with you regarding how the composers were in the bygone eras. And Past is past - even though 70% of Raaja's output suffered because of bad films, there is nothing we can change and i agree that it is good that he still went ahead to adorn those stupid films with great films.

My conclusion is not based on the choosiness of current crop of composers. It is more from the fact that people dont give a damn to a film for which he scored music. and that includes me and many of us. The music album might be good, but its position in the market is not and that leads to slotting him for certain kind of films.

My only point is - Fine, that Raaja had taken n no. of projects in 80s because thats how things used to work back then. Raaja doesnt have do that 'today'. I know he has the drive... but 80s was a different ball game and his approach worked - it cemented his position in the industry. He is 68 now. I dont want only a NBW, HTNI and Thiruvasakam to remain as his colossal works. He is capable of churning out more. And it does not matter if he rejects a Jaganmohini. It does not add any value to his career graph. as such the songs of that film are enjoyed only by fans. So, how does it matter if it was via film or via private album. we fans will buy private album too. As for sponsors, honestly, i feel thats not at all a big deal. Who sponsored Nothing But Wind? How to Name It? or even the most recent - "Ramana saranam saranam" - which had excellent arrangements/recording. He does not have to go to Budapest. I am fine with albums that match Ramana Saranam Saranam quality (of melody, recording and arrangements) - in instrumental form.

Again, this doesn't mean he should stop films.