Quote Originally Posted by asitaraman
Quote Originally Posted by Prabhu Ram
The king, if I recall right was Sundarapaandian (which could have been a generic title name given to many Pandiyan kings). The Chozha king at that time happened to have a title name 'Rajendran' (not the Rajendran, this was another one).

Is your reference the same or am I getting my history all jumbled up ?
As far as I know, there is only one "Sundara Pandya" who was Lord Shiva Himself who married Thadathakai Pirati.

He did defeat the Cholas and return the kingdom back to them.

Rgds, Aravind Sitaraman

dear sirs,
what Mr.PrabhuRam says is about Rasarasan III and his son Rasendran III I purport. The Pandyan king Sundarapandyan V in the year 1248 C.E. had defeated Rasendran III AND HIS Cholzhar army and captured Thanjai and turned the Cholzha empire into a small kingdom by returning just the core of Cholzha state.It was not the same as Pandyan Arivudai Nambi whose time period and that of Kopperunzholzhar was around 345-330 BEFORE CHRISTIAN ERA b.c.e. that is even before Alexander the great invaded Punjab.

And as Mr.A.Sitaraman said LORD SIVANAAR was the original SUNDARAPANDYAR WHO CAME TO MARRY PANDYAN EMPRESS MEENATCHI (INCARNATION OF GODDESS UMAI).
The Later Pandya kings all took to this name of Lord SIVANAAR as their royal titles upon accession to the throne (altering with another title "VEERAPANDYAN" also.