Page 298 of 400 FirstFirst ... 198248288296297298299300308348398 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,980 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    #281 மனதினிலே ஒரு பாட்டு
    (தாயம் ஒன்னு , 1988 , சுசீலாவுடன்)

manadhilE oru pAttu, from dhAyam onnu

Another number of a similar nature - much like the illam song I posted above. Very sweet melody, sung in a serene manner by both SPB & his akkA to soothe the minds of the listeners. Those were wonderful days - when one could relax with friends in a tea shop, spending practically nothing (two people eat cookies / vadai / samOsA and have tasty hot tea, enjoy music, have some fun conversation - all for less than Rs 5)! While the conversation often jumps from one topic to another, it was inevitable for music & rAsA to figure somewhere in that, if one of them happened to be me

Once again, know nothing about this movie - googling says it was an Arjun starrer. Quite possible it came and went without leaving any trace - except such a sweet melody! I am not sure with such a title what kind of movie it could have been

Ofcourse, I enjoyed playing 'dhAyam' during childhood / school days, with those 7X7 kattam and six 'chOzhi' suzhaRRal. One gets in with onnu (also called dhAyam) and progresses / cuts opponents etc before finally making it to the center which was called 'pazham'. Then there was this famous 'parama padha shObana padam', which was also played with chOzhi suzhaRRal. There again, for entry one had to get 'dhAyam' (i.e. 1 on the 6-sea-shells version of "dice"). There were these snakes and ladders (the biggest snake taking one down to #1 where the picture was a kurangu and the snake was known as 'koranguppAmbu'). Once the person reaches the top row, there were pictures of many deities and each step had to be with a dhAyam until the 'parama padham' (feet of brAhm) is reached and the first one to reach was the winner.

Possibly the movie had the tale of someone who was swayed around by the unforeseen happenings (like the dice) over which he had no control but had to contend with...and a path filled with ladders and snakes...
    Last edited by app_engine; 6th February 2012 at 10:36 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    App - this one is nothing but a remake of SathyettAn's sanmanasuLLavarukku samAdhAnam *ing that brilliant pair of Srinivasan-Lalettan
    Oh, that was a sweet movie!

nanRi, Plum for the info !

Post Thanks / Like
    #282 ஒரு பொட்டு வச்சுப்பாக்கப்போறேன்
    (தெற்கத்திக்கள்ளன், 1988)

'oru pottu vachchuppAkkappOREn' from theRkaththikkaLLan, with adi-dhadi percussion for the pallavi!

Wait a minute!

Before concluding this to be another "unknown - light weight" movie / album, please listen to another song from this album : 'rAdhA azhaikkiRAL'

One of the biggest hit songs of that year! So, this album must have been a top rated one then -going by the popularity of the rAdhA number. The SPB solo, however, was quite an average one, of the polished dappAnguththu variety. Though I never knew the name of the movie of the rAdhA song, it was in one of my collections and I've always enjoyed that for the superb recording (by the then prevailing standards). Recently, one of my relatives remarked that this song served as a benchmark those days for "rating" audio systems as to how good they were Both IR's orchestration and SJ's singing at their sweetest here, apart from the wonderful ambience in recording!

I looked at youtube yesterday and ofcourse it has the rAdhA song - featuring Vijayakanth - Radhika.

Songs like this are best enjoyed in vans / minivans! While listening to music in car is wonderful, since it's relatively smaller, sometimes the components don't sound nicely separated (as in the case of headphones). Vans on the other had, have multiple speakers - channels and are quite distributed and one gets to listen with a better ambience. Buses are typically even better, with the right music system and when in the right volume with all windows / doors closed and not having too much motion noise - almost auditorium feel. However, one never gets such "ideal conditions" on buses as there're always wind / engine noises that overpower the music. So, vans are the way to go!

Well, during childhood, I've seen those black color monster vans (fargo and such kinds) that were also waiting along with the "town buses" in the town bus stand when we had trips to my dad's village. Those were too crowded, horrible looking and running, unreliable and over a time period disappeared from the scene. I didn't see vans running from towns to villages during the late 70's or 80's at all. I'm not talking about such vans Then there came to be some matador vans that were used by private operators as taxi's. Again horrible vehicles, run on diesal and noisy - with hardly anything to write about - less said the better about any music played in them.

However, during the late 80's, along with the great changes to the scene of cars & bikes (Maruthi Suzuki's / Hero Honda's), there came a few sweet vans too. Toyota had their JV and then there were Swaraj Mazda, Mahindra Nissan, Eicher Mitsubishi and later on Tempo Traveller (with Benz). These, along with the Tata Vans, were a different breed altogether. With superb, less noisy engines, often air-conditioned and practically noise free inside, these could serve as terrific music halls! I have heard the rAdhA song a few times in such vehicles - mesmerizing - during some marriage functions (such vehicles carried guests to bus stands / railway stations from maNdapam)!

In your next opportunity to ride in such a van, play the rAdhA song (have it in your iPod or some equipment and insist with the driver) and experience the lovely orch of rAsA!
    Last edited by app_engine; 7th February 2012 at 02:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've caught up now and have only one song left for the year, 1988!

As mentioned before, it's a biggie tomorrow and with it I'll also start a story that will run into a few songs (all biggies)
    Last edited by app_engine; 6th February 2012 at 11:15 PM.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure you have seen the picturization of this song..Chandrasekar dance around Amala and try to attact her.
    It was funny though the way he make those dance moves....

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    it is supposed to be funny - by design..
    u must see the hindi version where paresh rawal is dancing..
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    App,

Please consider including the only SPB (& MV) song En Pathira Maaththu Chithira Ponne(Satyaraj & Raghuvaran entertaining the little girl in the movie – Raaja as always comes up with something special) in the unforgettable “Enn Bommukkuti Ammavukku” album. This song has all the genres packed into it (lyrics summarize the story line of the movie) and is worthy of getting into this master list being put together by you. Except for this song and another IR solo (short and sweet song - Kanne Navamaniye that’s like a theme song for this movie), all other songs were sung by KJY and KSC and hence this song especially got overshadowed by them to some extent.
    Lyrics of this song: http://www.dhool.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4828
    Link for hearing the song: http://www.palanikumar.com/filmsongd...37&songid=1396

Post Thanks / Like
    Manathile ore pattu ~ such a breezy, calm singing , effortlessly by the man, bliss..... unmaiyaagave mazhaiye vara veikkere maatiri paaduvaar...

Post Thanks / Like
    App - I remember Dhaayam oNNu vaguely from Doordarshan days in the late 80s. It stars Arjun on some kind of treasure hunt or mercenary mission, I don't remember which. He recruits a motley crowd of starlet heroines - Nishanti, Seetha et al. As is customary, he squeezes in a duet(and much else ) with almost every one of them. Manadhile oru paattu, the sober-most of the songs in the movie, goes to Homely Seetha, unsurprisingly. Nishanti gets to do the rumbunctious Kotti kidakku gundu malli poovu, I think, with your favourite Chitra chechi doing a fabulous job. Can't remember much else - is raathiri poothadhu kaattu roja from this movie as well. Think that was by Jikki.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Folks

When was Varusham 16 released? 88 or 89? Wonderfull songs by IR. Only one song for SPB, while the best ones went for KJY.

Pick of the song from this movie "Pazha muthir solai" by KJY
    Last edited by PARAMASHIVAN; 7th February 2012 at 09:24 PM.
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye