Page 292 of 400 FirstFirst ... 192242282290291292293294302342392 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,920 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi raajarasigan, for the kind words!

The song had been playing in my mind all-thru the weekend and I'm still under the "nostalgia-weather"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    App one request. Do mention the song name in roman letters for tamillitarates(atleast in hub) like me. Enna paattunnu guess pandradhukke paadhi time pogudhu sila samayam. For instance, still not figured out yor nostalgic captain song from 1988

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    App,
    Very nice write-up on 'Ennuyire Vaa' with that apt mouth-watering rasagulla. Excellent song, yes it is Chitra's song. Somehow I only get sivakumar in my mind for this song. May be IlanchOlai hangover.

Also not to forget about 'VaasalilE Poosanippo'. I could not believe because of these songs, IR market went down and TFM music deteriorated (abachaaram to the core). Anway I least care about it, as we are still listening these soulful folk composition even today after 20 years with same amount of interest. That's the power of Maestro. Even if I agree to some extent that his market went down, he is still there for us with same enthusiasm even after 20 years enthralling us like as always, which is more important. If his market went down, he would not be still in the music scene.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    App one request. Do mention the song name in roman letters for tamillitarates(atleast in hub) like me. Enna paattunnu guess pandradhukke paadhi time pogudhu sila samayam. For instance, still not figured out yor nostalgic captain song from 1988
    Sorry about that, I'll take care from next post

The song is 'ennuyirE vA' from poonthOttakkAvalkAran

V_Sji,
    nanRi!
    I'm with you on the evergreen nature of rAsA songs and I no longer care about his market status, as long as he's doing music

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    App anna.

Excellent writeup

There was film called Puthu nellu puthu naathu right? wasn't the lovely song "poo poo poo pootha solai" from?

BTW what does nathu mean
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PARAMASHIVAN View Post
    There was film called Puthu nellu puthu naathu right? wasn't the lovely song "poo poo poo pootha solai" from?

BTW what does nathu mean
    Yes, that is a 1990 movie, by Bharathiraja.

'nAththu' means seedling / sapling (very young plants that come out of seeds that are sown closely together ; these need to be plucked out and replanted in the regular paddy field with gaps to become full-grown)...

Picture here :

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, 'nAththu' is kochchaiththamizh...written word is 'nARRu' (நாற்று)

Post Thanks / Like
    #274 பாடாத தெம்மாங்கு நான் பாட வந்தேனே
    (பூந்தோட்டக்காவல்காரன் , 1988 )

pAdAtha themmAngu nAn pAda vandhEnE, solo from poonthOttakkAvalkAran

A very simple song - no grandiose orchestration or earth-shattering melody. Simple catchy tune, SPB's emotional singing, nice support by flute and some country drums. The song was moderately popular and I've heard on the bus on many occasions. Never hunted it / recorded it etc. The song got only #4 rating within this album at the time of arrival. ennuyirE vA was first, adi gAnakkarunguyilE second, sindhiya veNmaNi third...pArAmal pArththa nenjam-jam jajam-jam-jam was tied for the 4th spot, because of KSC...the rating is pretty much unchanged even today...not a mega album by rAsA standards but siRu thuLi peru veLLam, since all such hits contributed to his mega status, these were happily taken by us

I'm not sure whether this movie came around that time or not - but I'm reminded of a major incident in life now...that happened sometime toward the end of 1988. I had my first taste of alcohol and it was a to my collegemate-colleague, with whom I shared the 'soup-ghOshti' status for almost 3 years. I'm not sure what prompted me - it was a bachelor's party in the lawn at the then #1 hotel / restaurant of the town - Indraprastha (where I've often come across Malayalam film stars in the lobby...not M & M but considerably popular ones like Innocent). When everyone expected me to order the usual tomato soup / orange juice / limca kind, I casually said "whisky" large! From the menu card, I browsed and picked some name - Peterscot, I liked the name - and added limca to it and downed without any sipping business And then had another in the same style, much to the shock / thrill of those around the long table.

Well, nothing big happened - except some loss of sense on the forehead; after the food, I walked to the room (less than a KM from the restaurant) where the roommate was on tour and blasted from the music system. Thus started my occasional indulgence of the item that gives one a man's status inside Kerala. ("ANAnengil veLLam adichchirukkaNam" it seems )

Post Thanks / Like
    Another song is due, for today and it will be from Sh.Sh (I've listened to it from thiraippAdal, and, yes, it's a lovely number)

Post Thanks / Like
    #275 மஞ்சப்பொடி தேய்க்கையிலே
    (செண்பகமே செண்பகமே , 1988)

manjappodi thEykkaiyilE, the solo that I missed, from the film "sheNbagamE sheNbagamE" - thank you A_S, San_K & Sureshji for catching this miss!

Yes, lovely song sung in a somewhat different style by SPB (thiraippAdal lists the singer name incorrectly) and beautiful tablA accompaniments. Song in the IR-TFM-Folk-V2 genre (let's give an abbreviation for this, what about IRTFv2 ?). Along with the primary companion instrument, flute, this song also has some kuRumbu solo violin in the interlude. Possibly there is some kuRumbu going on in the visuals and the song lines too are a little bit suggestive...Interestingly, it talks about 'manjappodi' which I'm not very sure whether used for 'thEykka' in villages. At least until the early 80's, it was manjaL kizhangu only that got 'urasified' on ammi or similar soRa-soRa stone, to make a paste which'll be used in bath by women. Possibly they switched to podi in the late-80's. Effect of technology!

We've already got the information from Sureshji that there's a Telugu equivalent of this melody / song. It would be interesting to listen to how rAsA would have ornamented this puccA south TN folk number to sound homely at north of poovirundha valli. Magician without question! After watching the youtube for poosaNippoo (likeable picturisation IMO), I'm also curious to know how is the picturization for this number. Will search for the youtube this evening (and post here if it's worthy).

I can't even recall when I first heard this number - but I'm very sure of hearing it many times on buses & some functions. Must have been reasonably popular in south TN - though I'm not sure about its reach north of Pazhani...