Page 288 of 400 FirstFirst ... 188238278286287288289290298338388 ... LastLast
Results 2,871 to 2,880 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    V_S,

I don't think UMT storyline has any direct relevance to the "life-history" of Dr MSU.

It's basically the tussle between a dad & son in a musical family, IMO. (And the son's interest with a girl of different social status / family of different social ideas etc).

I'm not sure whether all of MSU's major philosophies got featured in Telugu (in the above setup). OTOH, UMT had them placed inside - motivational 'unnAl mudiyum' & pasumai to be specific. (I'm not very sure whether MSU is known for being vocal about "social equality" stuff, which gets more weightage in the movie, than "motivation / pasumai" stuff).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi, groucho

Was feeling a little bit low today (nothing serious)...unga thattikkoduththal is a great tonic

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    App & Jai,
    So, KB remade only three films in his whole list of films as a director? I remember Ek Tujhe KE LiyE, but good info on Nizhal Nijamaagirathu, I didn't know about it. Thanks. Also, if it is not a scene-to-scene remake, then it make sense and it cannot be atleast for UMT.
    K. Balachander's PUNNAGAI (1971) was a remake of Hrishikesh Mukherjee's Hindi fim SATYAKAM (1969).

VARUMAIYIN NIRAM SIVAPPU was remade by KB as ZARA SI ZINADI

APROORVA RAAGANGAL was remade as EK NAYI PAHELI

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, almost every movie that KB did in late 70s / early 80s has a Telugu counterpart. You can't call it a remake really because I think they shot the movie simultaneously!!! You will generally have the hero / heroine the same but many character actors would differ. 'avargal' is such an example. There were many of his other films which got dubbed directly in Telugu.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthuleni Katha - Aval oru thodargadhai; Aaina - Arangetram: Ek nai paheli - Apoorva Raagangal; Zara Si Zindagi - Varumayin NiRam; and then punnagai, neerkumizhi(remake of Hrishida movie again); ippadi palappala. Besides, the kudigaarargaLai thiruthum episode in Rudra Veena is from now-famous Anna Hazare's life. Model village iLaignan also Hazare inspiration. Hazare was potti seidhi in 16th page then. Today he is 24/7 news channel staple.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you grouch for your compliments

App, Yes, UMT story was not based on Dr. UM's personal life, atleast, as you said it was based on his social ideas and they showcased few clean villages as his contribution. I was only asking how KB did this in telugu with who's name or ideas, or it was just a fictional character in telugu? Plum confirmed it now.

Thanks guys, it seems quite a lot of of his own films got remade in other languages. That clears my doubt on remakes.
    Last edited by V_S; 26th January 2012 at 09:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    #271 அக்கம் பக்கம் பாருடா சின்ன ராசா
    (உன்னால் முடியும் தம்பி, 1988 )

KB's early 80's movies had some strong political-commentary themes (compared to his family dramas that occasionally had some spicy social commentary stuff in the prior decades). It probably started with VNS that talked strongly about the problem of unemployment followed by thaNNeer thaNNeer based on Komal Swaminathan's play which had hard-hitting political commentary. achchamillai achchamillai , another "politics" movie, too happened during this time period. Ofcourse, he had his "women's lib" social commentary all along (regardless of whether the movie theme was politics or otherwise).

UMT was possibly the most balanced combo of politics, social commentary, love & music - though it wasn't as successful as his other movies, despite having Kamal on screen. This 'akkam pakkam' song is the politics part while stressing the overall theme of individual responsibility and encouraging like 'you got to do what you got to do'...

Short song, sounding somewhat similar to 'buththam saraNam kachchAmi' in the construction (variety thy name is IR) and had decent air time. Not possibly on the individual merit of the song, IMO, it must be due to "being part of an album that had some superb numbers".

In any case, qualifies for the compilation. I cannot recall where it occurs in the movie (if at all it got picturized).

With 'samayal pAdamE' covered before under maNippur mAmiyAr (SPS replaced with KSC), it is curtains for the SPB-IR combo songs of UMT!
    Last edited by app_engine; 27th January 2012 at 12:46 AM.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    App,
    Very nicely analysed KB's style of social films and greatly concluded about the balance in UMT, Excellent Yes, my favorite KB films of 80's are thanneer thanneer and achchamillai achchamillai. I love saritha's acting!.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Folks

There was a film in early 90's called "thirumathi Palanisamy" , *ring Sathyraj and Suganya, it had few nice songs, was the MD for this movie IR or Deva
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi, V_Sji for the kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by Param
    There was a film in early 90's called "thirumathi Palanisamy" , *ring Sathyraj and Suganya, it had few nice songs, was the MD for this movie IR or Deva
    rAsA music