Page 142 of 400 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152192242 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since 1983 has simply too many IR-SPB albums and the timeline isn't as cleary remembered, I'm reverting back to the alphabetical order thingy (and Anandhakkummi came first). I think the significant numbers from AK are done and I should move on to the 200th movie of IR today The other SPB numbers from AK - aNNanmArE thambimArE and machchAn mAtteekkittAru don't need separate posts IMO even though those were heard here and there those days. (I remember reading somewhere in the hub that one of them featured GM getting adi)...
    Last edited by app_engine; 5th August 2011 at 10:18 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PARAMASHIVAN View Post
    App anna

Wasn't Salangai Oli released in 83 as well ?
    Yes, ofcourse! And I saw the movie on the same day Kapil hit 175 n.o in the Prudential cup!

Post Thanks / Like
    #106 அந்தரங்கம் யாவுமே சொல்வதென்றால் பாவமே
    (ஆயிரம் நிலவே வா, 1983 )

SPB singing in a pitch different from speaking, possibly to differentiate two Karthiks (is it a dual role or manasAtchi or his own "Avi" or multiple personality? What was it? Didn't see the movie neither have any clue about the story). Ofcourse, the speech part ('epdi, epdi') is thoroughly irritating while the singing part is sweet. A guitar rich song with a new rhythm pattern for the time period and decent interludes. Overall, IR had done a minimum-standard-but-not-extraordinary-kind-of-job for this movie, despite the advertisements telling "200th movie of IR".

Actually my picks those days from this album weren't SPB numbers at all - 'gangai ARRil' by PS with that sweet guitar prelude & 'oottikkuLiru ammAdi' by MV/SPS with the cracking thALam were my favs. However, the radio / bus / tea stall / recording center kind of groups preferred the SPB numbers There was also a mukkal-munakal SJ song, kanni iLam poovudal.

Most of our wingmates too kind of aligned with my taste and it was 'oottikkuLiru' blasting out of the Panasonic stereo all the time! Very catchy beats that should make anyone shake / tap a bit andharangam yAvumE had its own wingcasts but not the hot fav.

Movie was probably a flop and didn't do much to Karthik's career.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    isnt this the movie with the rehash song of "KeLadhe nimagaagi" from Kannada movie Geetha into "Dhevadhai ILameni" ? what a fantastic transformation from a pathos to spooky.
    I believe this movie was directed by RamaNarayanan and the plot involved a fake ghost story put on by the hero to fool the heroine (Sulakshana?).
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiganes View Post
    isnt this the movie with the rehash song of "KeLadhe nimagaagi" from Kannada movie Geetha into "Dhevadhai ILameni" ? what a fantastic transformation from a pathos to spooky.
    I believe this movie was directed by RamaNarayanan and the plot involved a fake ghost story put on by the hero to fool the heroine (Sulakshana?).
    Yes, dEvadhai iLam dEvi unnaichchuRRum Avi is the song and the director was A S Prakasam IIRC

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    App, Superb song and Superb writeup as well. This was one of my recent discovery ()

Jai, even I have listened telugu version (original?) of Andharangam Yaavume song

Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    app_engine, my take is that the "eppidi eppidi" was very novel then. I was young at that time (but already hooked to IR songs), and it was quite new, with the playfulness of the song coming through in those words. Also, I love the interludes of this song....wouldn't agree at all with your "minimum-not extraordinary" opinion, at least for this song.

Also, the two songs I listened to most from that album were Andharangam Yavume and Dhevadhai Ilam devi...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shank View Post
    I love the interludes of this song....wouldn't agree at all with your "minimum-not extraordinary" opinion, at least for this song.

Also, the two songs I listened to most from that album were Andharangam Yavume and Dhevadhai Ilam devi...
    I agree, a number of people loved these two songs from the album but me (and my hostel colleagues) were out of sync. I think those two dry years of "thuvAkcity" corrupted the mind

Post Thanks / Like
    Manchu Kurise Velalo(abhinandhana) offers you an option without epdi epdi app. I deleyed the tamil version from memory because of the epdi epdi. Thank God for telugu and vamsi...

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    App-Engine

Absoultely Fabulous job. Thanks you are doing us a service, keep it up

For the several years you have been writing in the forum (At least 10 I would think), this is the first time, we differ in our taste that too on a IR/SPB song.

Devadhai Illam Devi/Andharangam Yavume (in spite of the Eppadi/Eppadi) would be listed in any one's TOP SPB solos - especially Devadhai.. What a song!. Sheer brilliance of IR/SPB showing superb contrast between this one and the Kannada "Geetha" song, tune being the same.

Gangai Aaru was a good song as well.

"ooti Kuliru"?? Hmm, we differ sorry

Once again, excellent job, Thanks and kindly continue