Page 94 of 400 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144194 ... LastLast

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    That means, the #65 is going to be an extra-extra-special song.

A song that made jaiganes open a new thread looking for thousand such (but it was one in ten-thousand kind)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Podhum Podhum UnVesham" was played in radio sometime. "Kaddani Ramiah" have heard few times..Used to wonder those days, when several other Kuppai songs had more air time than these.

Anyways, your rush to go to a "suoer-duper" song is very understandable.
    ==> Great song Indeed; as it is one of those perfect songs..SPB/SJ at their best

Balaji.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    poonthalir aada... varre vaa.
    now like mark taylor ...
    rubbing hands in anticipation of edge..
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jai,
    Hmm, clever. You cleverly turned out the ONE defining argument in the SVS vs Lal stakes as something like a முன் ஜாமீன். Case summarily dismissed forthwith, you and V_S fined for slander and libel. அபச்சாரம், ராஜாவுடன் ஸ்ரீகாந்த் தேவாவை ஒப்பிட்ட மாதிரி..

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just listened to Tegam Pattu (Nanthan Rajaa - SPB part) from Sattam. Gosh, I keep forgetting that it's by Ganggai Amaran. IR's jazz/disco sound is stamped all over it!!! The other slower numbers you can differentiate the sound (like Vazhvey MAyam), but I want to believe a conspiracy theory that says Raja was involved in this one. I believe. I believe.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    #65 பூந்தளிராட
    (பன்னீர் புஷ்பங்கள், 1981 , ஜானகியுடன்)

One doesn't need a high-tech music equipment to enjoy this song. I've heard it among heavily noised radio transmissions, from poorly recorded cassettes / CDs, with ear-blasting-volume-plus-wind on buses, using low-fidelity speakers (like the ones on laptops)...and the magic is still the same!

Phenomenal, phenomenal song with a great melody, sweet guitar (check the second interlude for ecstasy) and nice singing by the super pair! What a lucky fellow Suresh to get this great song in his career...and another great one in kozhi koovuthu (song that got appreciated by Paul Mauriat). He is among the few celebrities that I've seen in person (was dropping off his wife in Satabti Express...in the same coach in which me and my friend were travelling from Chennai to B'lore on a 1995 morning).

People today make fun of Santhana Bharathi as a comedian and who was "proxy" to Kamal (& KH is called "ghost"). P Vasu is made even more fun of (understandably so) for his Chandramukhees and Kuselans. However, the entry of these two as directors, in Panneer Pushpangal, was far from funny. One of the most sensible and nicely taken movies that dealt with teenage tantrums. With Pratap Pothen too around, B-V got one of the best scores ever from IR. Apart from this sweet duet, the movie featured 'Anandha rAgam' by Uma Ramanan & 'kOdai kAlakkARRE' by MV, two of the best songs ever in TFM!

IIRC, this and alaigal Oyvathillai (another teenage love movie but made in a crass way compared to PP) came during the same time period, my +2 to college transition summer. I saw the movie after a year or so in the college audi and was thoroughly impressed (never had a chance to revisit, however). The songs often play on my car and computer to this day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Like I mentioned before, jai started a thread 1000 songs to hear before you die. triggered by this song :

Quote Originally Posted by jaiganes
    poonthaLir aada...
    It struck me in the end of the second interlude. If there is one song to bear all the Ilaiyaraaja stamps of his 80s phase - it has to be this one.
    prelude with a catchy counterpoints and harmony - Check
    chorus doing a counterpoint and singing out a melody that is heavenly - Check
    majestic violins with sections playing different melody - Check.
    Ok - lets do the same with vocal counterpoints from lead singers - Check.
    Rakshasa singers SPB adn SJ - having their saamrajyam in the song - Check.
    Some electronica and different melody for the interludes - Check.
    Lets pause the entire thing for a while and create an effect - check.
    some awesome lyrics - check.

Only thing missing is a single carnatic violin and an aaalaap by raaja or TVG.
    I think everything else is almost covered.
    It seemed like some1 asked Raaja "whats new in your music" and Raaja did the song to simply tell them ' TAKE THAT'.
    The ultimate benefactor was P.Vasu and Santhana bharathy!!!
    This is one song I want to listen before I die or loose my sense of hearing...

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm behind by two days but don't want to share the day of 'poonthaLirAda' with another song. Rather, I'll delay by one more day and feature 4 songs on Wednesday as all of them are from the same movie (Songs for Sun-Mon-Tues & Wed will all be featured on a single day) Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    The phrase that knocks me out is in the first interlude just before lalalllalalallaa, an intricate piece (what's the instrument?) after the choral violins cease
    Pure Magic

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    App - Thanga Kudame from Oru Iravu Oru Paravai definitely needs a place in this thread, IMO. Haven't heard the other songs in this movie but this one is a superb song.
    http://thiraipaadal.com/album.php?AL...R00446&lang=en

Radha Radha from Meendum Kokila - it has a unique dreamy feel throughout, starting with the initial humming and those violins in the prelude which set the tone and that dreaminess is sustained throughout by the orchestration. Beautiful, honey-sweet rendition by SPB & SJ.

Now, I should get back to Poonthalir Aada and there is no coming back for a while