Page 88 of 400 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajkumarc View Post
    Lot of songs to catchup and there are some unheard ones. Thanks App for the picks.
    You're very welcome, I plan to continue without letup, at the minimum till the first century is hit

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    App anna

Continue pls ...
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Post Thanks / Like
    #62 ஹே, ஹே, ஓராயிரம்
    (மீண்டும் கோகிலா, 1981 )

Was this the movie where Mahendran was initially signed up and then opted out? Confirming that may be easier than getting info as to whether he was involved in the making of songs An educated guess would be that he was involved as those days the 'poojai' of starting any film was done with 'pAdal padhivu'. Can someone confirm about the newspaper ads / columns that had Mahendran initially?

Whatever, GNR too typically got above-average songs from IR (kalyANarAman's 'malarkaLil Adum iLamai pudhumaiyE' immediately comes to mind), even though many of them were supposedly delivered without charge. (Possible PA connection there).

meeNdum Gokila is an interesting album where SPB & KJY got 2 songs each and IMO KJY got the catchier melodies and accordingly had more airtime. Even if a 2nd level singer had got involved (i.e. SN Surendar / Krishnachandar kinds), 'chinnanjiRu vayadhil' and 'ponnAna mEni' would have been hits - though with much less emotional impact.

OTOH, SPB was given the not-so-catchy ones and accordingly a weightier respo of making them click. He did total justice, rising to the occasion. The solo gets featured today and the duet tomorrow. Each had considerable air time and good reception by both KH lovers (no pun intended) and others.

My fav part - apart from the wonderful singing by SPB - is the 2nd interlude in this number, with just one caveat - IR could have avoided the repeat of the "transition phrase" from 1st interlude. Still, that too adds a charm and puts this song among the rare numbers where IR had some repeat phrases in interludes. (AFAIK, the only song with total repeat of interludes is 'madhana mOha roopa sundari' of inRu pOi nALai vA - are there any others?)

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love the 'swing' in Poovanathula (quite a late discovery for me). The tune structuring and rhythm pattern gives the song a kind of 'hopping' feel, which is so much fun! The way the pallavi is tuned... so simple, yet so lively (and sweet) - like in so many other songs of his, it like as though he sees these patterns around him and just plucks them out of thin air (like Max from the movie Pi or Nash from 'A Beautiful mind'!)

Plum, I was wondering what IR would have to say to your question. Maybe something like...
    The farmer just does his work and sings unknowingly to soothe himself. It is you who enjoys his agricultural produce. For him, any crop/fruit is just another one. Adhe madhiri dhaan idhuvum.... or...
    You say that you enjoy listening to my songs. But once any music is trapped into notations and words, it takes a form, becomes a pattern. This is not what I enjoy. I enjoy the formless, something that is not bound by patterns or rules... which is nature, which is God.
    Last edited by KV; 22nd June 2011 at 07:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KV View Post
    I love the 'swing' in Poovanathula (quite a late discovery for me). The tune structuring and rhythm pattern gives the song a kind of 'hopping' feel, which is so much fun!
    Nice observation, KV!

I tend to think that this song shares the rhythm pattern with 'kAthodu poo urasa' (slightly tempo reduced version)...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    meeNdum Gokila is an interesting album where SPB & KJY got 2 songs each and IMO KJY got the catchier melodies and accordingly had more airtime. Even if a 2nd level singer had got involved (i.e. SN Surendar / Krishnachandar kinds), 'chinnanjiRu vayadhil' and 'ponnAna mEni' would have been hits - though with much less emotional impact.
    Correct!
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post

OTOH, SPB was given the not-so-catchy ones and accordingly a weightier respo of making them click. He did total justice, rising to the occasion. The solo gets featured today and the duet tomorrow. Each had considerable air time and good reception by both KH lovers (no pun intended) and others.

My fav part - apart from the wonderful singing by SPB - is the 2nd interlude in this number, with just one caveat - IR could have avoided the repeat of the "transition phrase" from 1st interlude. Still, that too adds a charm and puts this song among the rare numbers where IR had some repeat phrases in interludes. (AFAIK, the only song with total repeat of interludes is 'madhana mOha roopa sundari' of inRu pOi nALai vA - are there any others?)
    Yep, Though China chiru vayathil was the "Pick of the album" I love this song simply because of SPB's youthfull voice. esp the lines where he says "keezhavanilE " ! and I like Radha radha nee enge to
    Last edited by PARAMASHIVAN; 22nd June 2011 at 08:56 PM.
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    App,
    Beautiful song and beautiful write-up. All songs in this film are truly top class. Which one to pick and which one to leave? Definitely Hey Hey Oraayiram is a y=sin(x) song. So much variations. Yes as PS mentioned starting from Keezhvaanile, it gets sweeter and sweeter.

Indha oru idam pothum sir,
    எங்கும் பொங்கும் வண்ணம் கண்டேன் புதுமையே இயற்கையை ரசிக்காதோ ஹேய் ஹேய்
    Ellaarum clean bowled. What a mesmerizing line. SPB takes it way higher, no other singer can't even think of reaching it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    Ellaarum clean bowled. What a mesmerizing line. SPB takes it way higher, no other singer can't even think of reaching it.
    That is SPB !

Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    app_engine, with regard to "(AFAIK, the only song with total repeat of interludes is 'madhana mOha roopa sundari' of inRu pOi nALai vA - are there any others?)", two songs immediately come to mind where there was total repeat of interludes..."Pottathellam Kadhal thittam" from Singaravelan and "Thathom Thalanga" from Vetrivizha. I believe both of these have repeat interludes...I'm sure there are some more of them. I can't recall now, but even "Muthirai Eppodhu" from Uzhappali (lovely song, BTW, with superb vocal scale) might have repeat interludes.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    App,
    Beautifully put VS. Just reading those lines plays out the sing in my mind (Plum mode ) and brings the mesmerism automatically. SPB, IR
    Last edited by rajkumarc; 23rd June 2011 at 01:52 AM.