Page 85 of 400 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185 ... LastLast

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    V_S,

Thanks for the link. Have been searching for this for quite some time. Have promptly put up the link on twitter.

app: 'Ilam Pani' is an excellent song. Didn't know it was sung by Plum's relative!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not my relative. My aunt(by marriage)'s friend. She sang in her(the said aunt and my maternal uncle's)s wedding in nalungu - this very song
    Last edited by Plum; 18th June 2011 at 01:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    appadiyA, sorry for the inaccuracy Plum

eppadiyum iLampaniththuLi kEtkum pOthu unga gnAbakam varum (possibly ungaLukku aunt / uncle gnAbakam)...song-sambavam connections are quite strong

Post Thanks / Like
    #58 சொல்லச்சொல்ல என்ன பெருமை
    (எல்லாம் இன்பமயம், 1980 )

youtube hittu

Well, this song had some airtime when the movie arrived too but burla burla and mAman voodu, both MV numbers, were more widely known. Obviously IR had worked harder for this song in the composition (orchestration is quite interesting to a not-so-tasty-tune) but the other songs, relatively simpler numbers from this movie, reached the public better.

SPB sings excellent, as usual!

Post Thanks / Like
    As it happens most of the weeks, very busy Sat , so posting two songs on Sunday ...

Post Thanks / Like
    #59 வந்தது நல்லது நல்ல இடம்
    (கர்ஜனை, 1981 , ஜானகியுடன்)

Cracker of a song!

Terrific trumpets and guitar / synth sounds that pump so much of energy! Though the lyrics are horrible (possibly in line with the kuppai movie theme - my cousin used to make fun of this movie all the time - it seems something like koLLaikkoottam poisoning chocolates or something like that).

Both Janaki & SPB are in top form, singing with high spirits! I used to get such a high whenever this song was on radio / bus as the orchestration was phenomenally novel for that time period. IR was able to pull along these in a catchy manner without sounding experimental. And in absolutely "commercial" sounding format. No one can guess what motivated him to do such a terrific score for a hopeless movie (must be Rajinikanth factor...who was the heroine?)

Rest of the songs in this album are superb too!

Post Thanks / Like
    That was the backlog song, for Sunday...one more to follow...

Post Thanks / Like
    #60 கல்யாண் ராமன் - வாய்க்கா ஓரம்
    (கரையெல்லாம் செண்பகப்பூ, 1981 , ஜானகியுடன்)

A terrific guitar / synth album by IR that didn't get the deserved reach Perhaps the movie - that created high expectations among "educated fellows" (famous Sujatha story that appeared as series in a mag) - failed to impress and the songs went down with it. Perhaps people expected a thoroughly enjoyable nAttuppuRappAttoos from IR as it was his home turf and the story had a city-dweller visiting village, doing research on folk songs. Contrary to the expectations, it was a guitar / synth thookkal album (much to my taste but not to that of the general audience).

The whole album was a killer IMO and I always longed to hear those songs on radio. 'kAdellAm pichchippoovu' was electrifying and so was EriyilE elantha maram. kalyAN rAman is kind of funny as SJ is pushed into singing englees - very uncomfortable territory for her. However, SPB enlivens up the song by his casual, effortless singing.

Another guitar-Prathap Pothen connection album. Just radio level reach.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    Though the lyrics are horrible (possibly in line with the kuppai movie theme -
    No excuse, terrible lyrics - "Soup-ukku kozhiyum vanthatharka" What kinda &^%$%^ line is that?
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    App,
    That's a wonderful pick. Yes, terrific electric guitar!. I can keep on listening just to the guitar portions of this song. How Maestro switches easily from rock (guitar) to folk keeping that guitar as base. SPB and SJ enjoy their singing just like we enjoy listening. Beautiful!