Page 84 of 400 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent post again App!. Yes, trendsetter song in TFM. Very innovative and unusual composition from Thalaivar, especially the mridangam. Added to the first interlude masterpice as you mentioned, I would bet on the extra-ordinary prelude and for the most unusual thinking in the history of film music. Mridangam for the love song.

You might have watched this video which is quite old, but hear what his mridangist (don't know his name) have to say about the prelude. 'Aniyaama Akaramama use panninaru' and see SPB's face when he says this. What a proud moment for anyone, when someone speaks high of his best friend. Kannu kalagirichu, a moment of pride for all Raja fans.
    Last edited by V_S; 17th June 2011 at 01:34 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    Now, doubttu (as my memory on the movie is so faded):
    1. Who does the joLLu and gets thrashed by the EU girl? Is it VAM or Suruli?
    2. Accordingly, 'pOittALA avaL enru' line is for who, VAM or Suruli - it sounds like MV singing to me
    3. Finally, if SPB is not singing for Suruli, is it MV for him?
    1. VAM of course, he's a film director, and Suruli is morally conscious assistant.
    2. Enakkum sariya ngabagam illa, but it looks like for VAM.
    3. I believe its MV, who has sung for Suruli too. As did SPB.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you groucho for the clarifications - I need to edit my original post properly - rework -weekend'la thAn

Nice post V_S! Very interesting youtube

Post Thanks / Like
    #57 ஒரு குங்குமச்செங்கமலம்
    (ஆராதனை, 1981 , ஜானகி ஹம்மிங் உடன் )

Sweet song from another obscure film that came and went without anyone paying attention. Still gets its name recalled after decades because of the couple of nice songs (this one and 'iLam pani thuLi vizhum nEram' sung by Plum's relative).

It was a radio hit during my +2 days and may be the recording center culture had already picked up in a big way. Or may not. I don't remember the time of arrival of Aradhanai but remember listening to it mostly on radio and occasionally on buses. (I know for sure that when alaigaL Oyvathillai disk arrived, it got feverishly recorded by any who had a cassette player. That was an LP record, the first one by Polydor company for a Thamizh film - and the f/o Prasanth, who worked for Polydor, his connection with IR - can't place Aradhanai relative to AO's timing ).

The short and sweet flute prelude, excellent tabla / Janaki second interlude and overall soft feeling makes this song evergreen. Many songs that had male vocals and female humming had some mild sOgam or eeriness but this one is simply a fun song with absolutely no trace of sOgam or eeriness ...
    Last edited by app_engine; 3rd July 2011 at 12:23 AM.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber genesis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    2 beautiful songs - Kunguma Chenkamalam and Ilam Pani Thuli Vizhum. You just made my day, Thanks App. I have "always" known these songs, but never knew other details like movie name, year etc... Is this Telugu dubbing movie?

Kunguma has simple yet beautiful lyrics. Soft singing by SPB makes me to think, this song belonged to KJY. Ilam Pani Thuli is such a musical treat. It has Mahendran feel to the song.

Post Thanks / Like
    From dhool.com :

I don't know too much about this movie. The video of this song can be found here. It features a thinner version of Nizhalgal Ravi with a slightly older version of Sumalatha . I wouldn't be surprised if this movie sank without a trace. A very soft song, and very easy to listen to.
    So, it's nizhalkaL Ravi and possibly straight Thamizh movie. BTW, the video seems to be available on youtube (I can't view now)...

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, from the above link, this song is based on 'keeravANi' rAgam.

My comment there : keeravAni + IR = "keer"

Definitely, kungumachchengamalam is bAdhAm keer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Found out that there's also Thamizh unicode version of thiraippadal...

kungumach chengamalam:
    http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...5'&lang=ta

ArAdhanai:
    http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.ph...R00012&lang=ta

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Head phone il kaetkanam..... indha night la.......... idhu dhan sorgam..

Isaiyil Sorgam kaatiya Raja.....................
    Usha Sankar