Page 59 of 400 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    #36 மாமன் ஒரு நாள் மல்லிகப்பூ கொடுத்தான்
    (ரோசாப்பூ ரவிக்கைக்காரி, 1979 )

We've arrived at the last movie of 1979 in the IR/SPB combo (i.e. alphabetically). This was a movie by Devaraj-Mohan, the same director pair that did IR's first one, with the same Sivakumar. Advertised as Sivakumar's 100th, this was a successful movie - though he didn't have a "heroic" role. It had fantastic songs, all four of them, with SPB in 50% of them. (non-SPB songs 'were veththala veththala veththalayO' by MV and 'ennuLLil engO Engum geetham' by VJ).

Today's song, along with the other mAmEin song of murattukkALai is easily among my top 10 SPS songs. (rAsAvE onna nAn, vAn pOlE vaNNam koNdu, EthO kanavukaL ninaivukaL, sAmakkOzhi, sOlaikkuyilE, Ayiram malargaLE should all automatically find their places with veeraiyA veeraiyA a prospect).

With the excellent nAttuppuRa humming start, SPS sounds so native to a TN village. She is amazing through out the song as a native and SPB provides nice support. Raja is in his "comfort zone" of country drums, morsing, kuRumbu sounds by solo instruments etc, the tune being most pleasant in the 'malligappoo vAsam, En mAmen mEla veesum' part

RR songs were a rage in all territories - radio, functions (both box speaker & kOlambi speaker kinds), buses and tea-shops. An album with a heady mix of emotions!
    Last edited by app_engine; 27th May 2011 at 08:05 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber genesis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was almost certain app is going to go past RR without featuring any song from it. Great Relief!!

RR was way ahead of it's time and it was a controversial adult movie from that era. Me and my brother are generally taken along to movies with my mom. But we are left to the care of some neighbors when my mom went to see this one. We both were elementary school kids and I am almost certain we would have not liked this movie. (We mostly cared whether there any flight sequences in the movie. If not, it is not worth watching the movie at all).

SPJ singing is great in this song!!

One question to app... What is the reason you feature "matter" songs on every Friday? We had "Ilamai Enum Poongaatru" last week.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ரோசாப்பூ ரவிக்கைக்காரி ... wow , wonderful job , app _eng ..folkish இளையராஜா's best

என்னுள்ளில் எங்கோ.....what a dizzy height இளையராஜா takes வாணி

உச்சி வகுடெடுத்து.....rustic pathos

(சென்னி குலநகர் வாசன் ......காவடி சிந்து... அண்ணாமலை ரெட்டியார்
    வள்ளிக் கணவன் பேரை வழிப்போக்கன் சொன்னாலும்
    உள்ளம் குழையுதடி கிளியே
    ஊனும் உருகுதடி கிளியே....who can forget this காவடி சிந்து! என் வீட்டு தோட்டத்தில் பூவெல்லாம் கேட்டுப்பார் என் வீட்டு ஜன்னல் கம்பி எல்லாமே கேட்டுப்பார்.....நாத விந்து கலா தீ நமோ நம....அருணகிரிநாதர்.)

வெத்தல வெத்தல....வாசு's ராகம் செஞ்சுருட்டி improvisation with conversations ..oh , I finally got it in a collection - MY FAVORITES BEST HITS OF இளையராஜா .

glorious 80s இளையராஜா , we லவ்,
    வினதா.
    Last edited by baroque; 28th May 2011 at 04:49 AM.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PARAMASHIVAN View Post
    oh thanks, this is my 'only' rajni film, which I have not watched !
    So you have watched all other Rajini movies? Come on, this is a must watch for any Rajini or K. Balachander fans, mate. In fact I rate this higher than Aval Appadithan, in the so-called "serious" kinda category.
    Last edited by groucho070; 28th May 2011 at 07:52 AM.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070 View Post
    So you have watched all other Rajini movies? Come on, this is a must watch for any Rajini or K. Balachander fans, mate. In fact I rate this higher than Aval Appadithan, in the so-called "serious" kinda category.
    Yes, I still remember my mother and aunt went for this movie and I wanted to go, they denied as it is not for us kids. But they really liked the film and they were discussing about the film long time after they came back from the film. I have not watched it, but heard it is a fantastic film by KB and excellent acting by Rajini and Saritha, but as usual didn't go well for the brutal reality shown by KB.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    V_S, sinna vayasula enakkum ban-than. But afterhigh school, suddenly KL was showing old films. My buddy, my brother and I managed to catch Adimai Penn which we saw on TV before, and this which we haven't seen at all. Athuvaraikkin, okay actor-a nenechittirunthe naama, he's a damned good actor-nu rank panna vachathe intha padamthaan. The scene of him beating the crap out of the union leader with cycle chain is haunting, for me at least. So brutal, though you don't see much injury or blood. Sorry for digression guys, but this is Raghu's thread and I hope he doesn't mind occasional veering offs like this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070 View Post
    V_S, sinna vayasula enakkum ban-than.
    Those were times when children were strictly forbidden for "A" rated movies. I think the satellite TV network killed all that discipline. (I remember Sun TV showing 'sigappu rOjAkkaL' during day time )

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you genesis & baroque!

As this exercise is to remember all the hit songs from SPB-IR combo, how can I miss RR?

It would have been a great disservice!

Post Thanks / Like
    #37 உச்சி வகுந்தெடுத்து பிச்சிப்பூ வச்ச கிளி
    (ரோசாப்பூ ரவிக்கைக்காரி, 1979 )

We're coming to the conclusion of IR-SPB 70's hits with this glorious number. Like I mentioned earlier, none of this combo songs of 1979 was a dud -they were at least radio-only-hits!

Technically speaking, this song also has SPS with her brother (the AreerArO humming of first interlude is credited to her). However, by the time the song progresses with SPB doing all great things, one forgets there's even a female voice in the song. The udukkai sound along with SPB's rArArArA humming in 3rd interlude is pullarippu stuff - then & now. Actually, the moment the prelude starts, one gets silirppu - what a grand combo or morsing, bass, flute and then lead guitar! Raja had already mastered the art of pizhinjifying hearts with his music, so early in his career!

By this time, I've started reading short stories as well as thodarkadhais of AV/Kumudam along with their movie reviews and the story of the movie was somewhat known when listening to the song (Obviously, I wasn't fully familiar with "details" of what marital infidelity involves...all that we teens knew then was hugging / kissing were allowed only for hero / heroine or husband / wife. Most used to think that a man simply tying a yellow thread to a woman will result in the miracle of a child ).

So, for most part, the meaning of this song wasn't well-understood but the sweetness of music and SPB's perfect emoting made this song such a sensational favourtite among all age groups!

Classic / evergreen song!
    Last edited by app_engine; 28th May 2011 at 06:07 PM.