Thread: Sir Sachin Tendulkar 4

Threaded View

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Kalyasi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_sachin-tendulkar-is-bigger-than-don-bradman-virender-sehwag_1352713

Sachin Tendulkar is bigger than Don Bradman: Virender Sehwag
    Vijay Tagore / DNA
    Friday, February 26, 2010 1:16 IST

Mumbai: Going by his style, many expected Virender Sehwag to be the first to breach the 200-run barrier in ODIs. The opener thinks otherwise and tells DNA that he wouldn’t have taken to the game had Tendulkar not played cricket.

You looked very excited after Sachin Tendulkar got to 200.
    The special quality of the knock is that it made every Indian proud. It was as if he or she had achieved the feat. Personally, it was no different. I thought as if I scored the double ton, it was a great feeling. He has been my role model and I took to cricket only because of him. If Sachin were not a cricketer, I would not have even touched a bat.

You were supposed to be the person who should have got it…
    Forget Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar deserved it the most. Anyways, I feel I have achieved it myself. I have often been asked this question about 200 and I said Sachin is the right man for the feat. He has the experience and the ability. He had come close to that against New Zealand and Australia. He finally did it against South Africa.

Can you explain the enormity of the feat? How difficult is it to score 200 in 50-over cricket?
    It is difficult because there are so many restrictions for a batsman in ODIs. There are only 300 balls to face. This effectively means you have to face at least 150-160 balls without letting the strike-rate drop. Only Sachin can do that.

He did not need a runner. How much beating does the body take during a knock of such epic proportions?
    Sachin is one of the fittest players in the Indian team. He works a lot on his fitness. He knows what he needs to do to keep himself in good shape and he knows how much he has to work on his upper body and lower body.

How do you rate this innings?
    It is the best knock I have ever seen. He maintained the momentum. He was playing all over the ground. He knew where to play the ball. His anticipation was also perfect and he knew what the next ball would be and prepared himself for that.

People say he has changed his batting style. Have you seen any changes since the time you started playing with him back in 2000?
    Changes? Yes. He changes his batting according to the pitch, weather conditions, ground, bowler, and the situation. Sometimes, he changes his stance and plays differently.

Where can he go from here?
    It depends on him. I’d love to see him till 2015. I’m sure he will play on till the 2015 World Cup. He has the passion and fitness to last the distance. I’m sure he can register 50 centuries in both Tests and ODIs. I have told him that he can achieve the feat soon. This should happen by next year.

Where do you rate him among all-time greats?
    He is the greatest. You can’t compare him to any other cricketer. He is bigger than any cricketer. He is the God of cricket. He is bigger than anyone who has ever held a bat.

Bigger than Don Bradman?
    Yes. He is.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement