All

The relative antiquity of Tamil and Sanskrit is not just irrelavant but a silly question to answer AND/OR a tough question that cannot be answered. But the analysis put forth (esp. by Aravindhan) and the complexity that this discussion has brewed is mind boggling. And, actually quite enriching.

What can be answered is really which language stood the test of times ?

Although it can be argued, that Sanskrit still lives in the form of its so many off-shoot languages like Hindi, Bengali, Arabic (?) -- Tamil has stood its ground from the Sangam time uptil now, almost in its quintessential original form as evolved from Proto-Dravidian. Now I believe a good reason for that long sustenance is its adaptability. When Sanskrit much like Greek & Latin is pretty much out-of-vogue, except among fan(tas)atic few, Tamil is thriving and if we want to count those languages that are OLDEST EXTANT ... I'm sure Tamil will be at the top.

While I do not brag about this -- I learn that when you don't flex a little you're bound to break. English, in its current form, owes it entirely to Germanic branch ... And, I believe English will surpass anyother language in name & fame... because its not borrow-shy !!

Ramanan