Thread: Bajaj to quit making scooters

Threaded View

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Bajaj to quit making scooters

I remember seeing the ad 'world's largest selling scooter' during my college days (bajaj chetak). One of my classmates was so crazy about the chetak and used to tell me that one can get a chetak only if they pay in US$ (could be true as it was heavily exported those days).

Though it was totally to my dislike, it seemed that owning a chetak was one of the ambitions of many men prior to the arrival of the 100CC bikes of whom the pioneer was the silent running 'IND-SUZUKI'.

Today I read this news (though late by 25 days, nobody has discussed so far in the hub) :

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...1053330200.htm

In a way I'm happy because I never liked scooters - especially the bajaj ones (Kinetic Honda was much better with a push button start and auto gear). The chetaks (and others by bajaj) were ugly, wide, with horrible gear-shift mechanism on hand which will make pal-koochcham on most old machines.

However, I'm not so happy to see the news that bajaj is #2 in the world in motorcycles. I used their KB100 for 10 years and if I exclude the first few months of ownership, it was a highly irritating experience in every possible way (though not too worse than the experiences of my pals who had their yamahas, hondas and suzukees made in India).

Unless they've improved from what they were during 1990-2000, their emergence as world leaders is just a sad story in the history of motorcycles!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement