Quote Originally Posted by podalangai
மூவுலகும் ஈரடியான் முறைநிரம்பா வகைமுடியத்
தாவியசே வடிசேப்பத் தம்பியொடுங் கான்போந்து...

MS made these verses famous, but when you stop to think about it, the theology behind those two simple lines makes the mind boggle in terms of its subtlety an d its implications - a causal link between Vishnu's actions against Mahabali and his exile as Rama? As far as I am aware, the Sanskrit texts simply don't have anything like that.
The priest at the temple at the end of my street mentioned this a few weeks back. In fact he was more technical - that Trivikrama wore slippers while stomping on Mahabali's head was why Rama had to face the forest barefoot thanks to Bharathan's anbuthollai. I thought it was one of those cases of reading between the lines to emphasize one's PoV - which our epics naturally lend themselves to.

However, it is news to me that it found mention in Silappadhikaaram. !

Quote Originally Posted by podalangai
And we see the same trend in the Kamba Ramayana, for example in the very different colour it gives to episodes such as Sita's fire-ordeal, which was discussed in this forum several months ago.
:sigh: Hmph. Searching and navigating through archives in the Hub is something that could use a LOT of tweaking.