Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Devon ki Dev Mahadev

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Devon ki Dev Mahadev

I don’t watch any Dramas as I find them a "waste" of time and energy, but quite inclined towards mythological ones! I am trying to follow "Devon ki Dev Mahadev" serial on Star Life is OK.

I am trying to match this with any Discrepancies between the ancient Mythological Story and the one shown in this serial, it would be of great honour, if any could contribute towards this thread.

Thanks
    Last edited by PARAMASHIVAN; 22nd August 2012 at 09:43 PM.
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Senior Member Senior Hubber anbu_kathir's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PARAMASHIVAN View Post
    I don’t watch any Dramas as I find them a "waste" of time and energy, but quite inclined towards mythological ones! I am trying to follow "Devon ki Dev Mahadev" serial on Star Live is OK.

I am trying to match this with any Discrepancies between the ancient Mythological Story and the one shown in this serial, it would be of great honour, if any could contribute towards this thread.

Thanks
    The series says "Inspired by the works of Devdutt Patnaik" but sadly completely leaves out the original Puranic sources. The production seems very nice. Frankly I do not find Mr. Patnaiks reinterpretations to be respectful and in line with the scripture. Beyond entertainment value, if at all it is based on some scripture, it should get some good message across.

Love and Light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by anbu_kathir View Post
    The series says "Inspired by the works of Devdutt Patnaik" but sadly completely leaves out the original Puranic sources. The production seems very nice. Frankly I do not find Mr. Patnaiks reinterpretations to be respectful and in line with the scripture. Beyond entertainment value, if at all it is based on some scripture, it should get some good message across.

Love and Light.
    I agree, so far in this series, it is more of an entertainer with Graphical importance than Spiritual importance. Sadly this has been the case with many of our mythological interpretation

So far I have seen scenes which are irrelevant to the story of Shiva/Sati and Shiva/Parvathi, from my knowledge Dakshan was slayed by Veerabadra, but in the Drama, they show Veerbadra giving life to Dakshan in the form of Goat, after slaying him? I don't remember reading this any where? Pls confirm!

Post Thanks / Like
    From the literatures I have read, Shiva does his Rudra tandav with the burnt body of Sati, but here it is shown as Vishnu by his sudarshan chakkara (Given to him Shiva) cutting the dead body of Sati into pieces, these body parts fell on Earth and AFAIK, these places are Pilgrimage sites?
    Last edited by PARAMASHIVAN; 22nd August 2012 at 09:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

So far I have seen scenes which are irrelevant to the story of Shiva/Sati and Shiva/Parvathi, from my knowledge Dakshan was slayed by Veerabadra, but in the Drama, they show Veerbadra giving life to Dakshan in the form of Goat, after slaying him? I don't remember reading this any where? Pls confirm!

From the literatures I have read, Shiva does his Rudra tandav with the burnt body of Sati, but here it is shown as Vishnu by his sudarshan chakkara (Given to him Shiva) cutting the dead body of Sati into pieces, these body parts fell on Earth and AFAIK, these places are Pilgrimage sites?
    The only PurANA that I have read a little in original is the Skanda Purana in which the Prajapati/Daksha episode is mentioned, but the scene really starts with Daksha refusing to invite Maheshwara to the sacrifice He is conducting. I don't know where the love story of Sati-Maheshwara occurs. I don't remember reading that Daksha was particularly a Vishnu Bhaktha either. Also, AFAIK, it was only the head of Daksha which is replaced by a goat's head. Don't remember the Vishnu cutting up Sati's body etc..

Anyway, many of the PurANAs have slightly different versions of the same story. Its pretty frustrating that they don't disclose the original sources, which are really the one's that deserve attention.

Love and Light.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know where the love story of Sati-Maheshwara occurs.
    Apparently Sati was told by some Rishis's that Shiva would be husband from Childhood, since she started love Shiva since childhood.

I don't remember reading that Daksha was particularly a Vishnu Bhaktha either.
    According the Drama, and in Wiki it states that Daksha was a Staunch Vaishnavite, and he hated Shiva because of his ascetic way of life and never wanted his daughter to marry him

Anyway, many of the PurANAs have slightly different versions of the same story. It’s pretty frustrating that they don't disclose the original sources, which are really the one's that deserve attention.
    Couldn't agree more!

Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently Sati was told by some Rishis's that Shiva would be husband from Childhood, since she started love Shiva since childhood.
    Yeah, I was mentioning about my lack of knowledge about the scriptural reference.

According the Drama, and in Wiki it states that Daksha was a Staunch Vaishnavite, and he hated Shiva because of his ascetic way of life and never wanted his daughter to marry him
    I couldn't find any reference to the notion that Daksha was a "Vaishnavite" par se. I think most scriptural references say he hated maheswara because of his uncouth and weird practices. The painting of Daksha as a Staunch Vaishnavite, especially one with naamam is a bit over the top and not scripturally supported I think.

Love and Light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some insight into Daksha

>>Soon Daksha became Prajapati (Ruler of all) which made him arrogant. Some of other daughters of Daksha were married to Chandra (The Moon). They are being called Tharakas (Starts) from then. Chandra was overly favored one daughter (Rohini) over the others, thus neglecting their needs and flouting his responsibilities. They told their father about this. While Daksha trying to explain Chandra about this, they both got situation out of control. Finally Daksha got angry and cursed his son-in-law to wither and die. Chandra started loosing his glory day by day. Sage Narada felt bad after looking at his situation and advised him to pray Lord Shiva. Chandra went to Shiva and pleaded to save him. Shiva gave him boon by asking him to stay in Kailasha (Place of Shiva) where no bad thing can happen. Daksha came to know that Shiva gave abhayam (promise to save) to Chandra which brings contradictory to his curse. Daksa got furious and started quarreling with Shiva about this. Lord Vishnu approached them to settle the quarrel and finally Vishnu duplicated Chandra into two forms and advised one Chandra to stay near Shiva as his boon to Chandra and another Chandra to periodically wither day by day as cursed by Daksha. From then Daksha was angry on Shiva and refused to give his daughter to him.

Daksha arranged a swayamwara to Sathi who was unwilling to marry anyone else other than Shiva. Knowing this, Shiva took her with him and married with out Daksha's permission which made Daksha's enmity grow even more. After some time the vain Daksha performed a great Yagna (With the sole aim of insulting Shiva), to which he invited all gods except Shiva. Sathi came to know about this and requested Shiva to take her to the Yagna which was declined by Shiva saying that its not good to attend uninvited function. Sathi couldn't control her emotions and against Shiva's wishes, she attended the Yagna. Daksha didn't care about Sathi's presence and finally insulted before every one presented. Sathi couldn't bare this and immolated herself. Shiva as enraged after knowing this and started his Pralaya Thandava (Dance which is capable of causing end of the world). He took some strands of his hair and threw them on ground from which furious Veerabhadra took form. Shiva commanded Veerabhadra to destroy Daksha Yagna.

Veerabhadra came to the place where Yagna is performing and started destroying every thing. He cut Daksha's head and threw in fire. All gods including Lord Brahma came to Shiva and pleaded to save Daksha. Finally Shiva was in peace and revived Daksha but with a goat head as Daksha's head was burnt in fire. From then Daksha's pride was gone and started praying Shiva. Later Sathi Devi took life as Parvathi and got married to Lord Shiva again. <<

http://haveultimatefun.blogspot.co.u...evotional.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast