1 10.00%
  • Marathi

0 0%
  • Bengali

0 0%
  • others

0 0%
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Which industry is better moving forward in India?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove View Post
    A very conclusive case could be made that Mysskin who does it more sincerely organic with creativity, while VM's seems more of a pastiche.
    I agree with this, k-g, and this distinction must be emphasized. I guess there's a simpler explanation though (I mean, you might want to hold on the "agenda" allegation): It's precisely the conscious incorporation of an organic style (in Mysskin's films) that annoys people. Vetrimaran on the other hand espouses a style (in many ways Latin American cinema-influenced but also a pastiche of sorts) that is in line with what many serious filmmakers are doing in contemporary Tamil cinema. The point being Vetrimaran's films clearly 'derive' (not in a pejorative sense) from more places than Mysskin's. (They're both very original Tamil filmmakers at the end of the day, that's a different matter.)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kamal/Rajini/Bala movie - once in 2 years, Mishkin - 1 movie per year. Creators like Thangar, Jananathan, Cheran totally out of scope nowadays. To me the words "moving forward" - opt for Bollywood. Forget Khan's movies.. even at the lower-mid range movies.. Oru overall - variety irukku. Censor board also is very liberal compared to our TN cultural mafias. Most importantly, female roles are praise worthy.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber selvakumar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see no logical answer expect your RAP(B)ID take on me and telugu cinema. I am not a certified expert on commenting about films in general. I don't even have a qualified degree. So, it would stupid if the expectation is to dissect a film screenplay, writing etc. We can only give how better the films are from our point of view. Telugu films have transformed lot of mainstream heroes and it is one of those industries where you can see a Sunil doing a full fledged movie as a hero. No...No.. I am not talking about sidekick second hero roles. I am talking about Maryada Ramanna here. Comedy is a big plus in telugu films. Even if you leave Brahmi, there are others. Their heroes are good in comedy as well. A telugu film (if you can forgive their nuditiy and over the top violence) is still a good one in terms of holding the audience.
    Ponnu Vellai tholah? illai Karuppu tholah?
    RE: Aennn.. Puli tholu..

Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs. Never use jargon words like reconceptualize, demassification, attitudinally, judgmentally. They are hallmarks of a pretentious ass. - David Ogilvy

Senior Member Diamond Hubber selvakumar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vikramarkudu - Good movie. Sunil or vikram act panni irunthalum hit aayirukkum.
    Ponnu Vellai tholah? illai Karuppu tholah?
    RE: Aennn.. Puli tholu..

Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs. Never use jargon words like reconceptualize, demassification, attitudinally, judgmentally. They are hallmarks of a pretentious ass. - David Ogilvy

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's deconstruct what you've just said.

a) One has to be quaified to be able to share opinion.

b) As per a), since one doesn't have the qualification, one doesn't have to hold an informed opinion or dissect anything at all.

c) Therefore, one shall remain cocooned in safe, vantage point of (constricted) view.

In conclusion, Stupid of me to expect anything more than blanket assertions.

Assertions on line of 'transformation of mainstream heroes' without actually stating to what? What transformation we're talking about.

Sample your standing on Vikramakurdu, suddenly it's not the hero that matters, it's the filmmaker and the film. But couple of pages back, you bring up this very transformation of R.Teja. Why didn't you inform poor Mahen about the film & why it works, beyond R.Teja? OTOH, I have always maintained a consistent view that there's a screen registry being turned on its head by SS.Rajamouli that specifically works in Vikramaurdu. A concious choice. And I've also dwelled in Eega thread, why it's a better achievement than T&J-lite observation.

For every passing reference of Brahmi, there are many part chronicles of Goundamani with well-meaning evidence right here in hub.

Kammula has only gone down from Godavari to 'Happy days' and 'Leader'.

Yeleti hasn't topped AOR, and has gone down, is he even making films any more.

Sri Rama Rajjiyam is a good achievement from old-guard. It's the modern devotional/fantasy films that they've held over TFI. While we haven't gone beyond Ramanarayanan, Jagadeekka Veerudu Athiloka Sundari/Aditya 369 has set better precedents. But that's all early 90's.

I'm inclined to allow Magadheera in this regard, but even that's strictly for big screen experience. SSR going from strenghts to strenghts in sense of visuals & sound effects (particularly in Maga and Eega) making his films an experience, but his footing firmly rooted in existing framework.

Outside SSR, the industry hasn't progressed beyond the preening, regressive, sexist, consistently formulaic universe, for it to be considered a progress.The Siddarth Romance-comedy-drama genre is precisely the kind of regression that I deeply resist. I mean, how do you go from Pelli Pusthakam to this tripe, and call it 'forward' on any level. It's been periodic degradation.

Considering I've also said TFI is moving backwards, in comparison to Telugu, it's ages ahead.
    Last edited by kid-glove; 5th September 2012 at 01:19 PM.
    ...an artist without an art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Comedians not being converted to Mainstream heroes. ThappichOm. Imsai Arasan imsai-E thaanga mudila. But like you said, Sunil illaina Vikram illa R.Teja kooda SSR padangala nadikkalam, so this insistence on 'comedians turned in to serious mainstream hero' doesn't really matter now, does it. And pray tell us how this is 'forward'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by equanimus View Post
    I agree with this, k-g, and this distinction must be emphasized. I guess there's a simpler explanation though (I mean, you might want to hold on the "agenda" allegation): It's precisely the conscious incorporation of an organic style (in Mysskin's films) that annoys people. Vetrimaran on the other hand espouses a style (in many ways Latin American cinema-influenced but also a pastiche of sorts) that is in line with what many serious filmmakers are doing in contemporary Tamil cinema. The point being Vetrimaran's films clearly 'derive' (not in a pejorative sense) from more places than Mysskin's. (They're both very original Tamil filmmakers at the end of the day, that's a different matter.)
    That applies in general. As a social recluse, I haven't really a clue about the generic standpoint towards Mysskin.

But specifically in hub, you see underhanded praise/dismissal of IR-based and ARR-based films. I'd even suggest that being the root of all evil for hub to not progress beyond.

If he's going to throw 'don't know why JTYJN is hated by most here ' at me, I'm not going to restrain in showing up guarded agenda ridden vantage point.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Git - some excellent posts.

Excellent post on Telugu filmdom spanning from 90s - unlike self-appointed experts who dont have a coherent piece of analysis or wisdom despite watching "100s of telugu movies".

Ofcourse, not all have your qualification to write about films(that goes beyond "i have my limited opinion based on my limtied knowledge. its as valid as expert opinion").
    Talk of humility!
    Last edited by P_R; 8th September 2012 at 09:43 AM. Reason: dig

Post Thanks / Like
    Your insights on Telugu cinema would be very welcome, Flu.

You have registered them in little instalments before. Like this page below..

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...t-here/page128

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    to assert empty assertions and then derailing the discussion taking it into personal attack
    i have my limited opinion based on my limtied knowledge. its as valid as expert opinion
    Yeah, challenge them.. Ever so slightly. They'll go back to their parlour tricks. Desperately publishing tips from Ad men (how so 'in your face', inarguably more pretentious in this pretension to attack the pretentious.---to discussing box office records (an odd 'thala looks great in salt and pepper' ya!), is all some people are interested in.
    Last edited by P_R; 8th September 2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: dig

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast