Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: || I| Shankar | Vikram ||

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    @sunil_M88 -deleted- there is nothing called hindi music. All from Tamil, Karnatic, western and Arabic.. Hindi doesnt have anything unique on its own.
    Last edited by littlemaster1982; 15th September 2014 at 10:41 PM. Reason: No need to get personal!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, there are 'many' things addressed in music wrt language and culture. As you have pointed out Hindi to Arabic languages, I will stick to it without bringing the variation of scales and instrumentals used.

A language is nothing but the tone."Different tonal preferences apparent in music are closely related to the differences in the tonal characteristics of voiced speech" - a music research has proved it taking samples from both Western & Eastern music. It goes further stating that Music is influenced by the culture and language and differs a lot.

Now what is this tone-language - A tone is the usage of pitch. Any language when spoken becomes a music by itself applying efficient pitch in the vocals. In music the pitch is an essential part of the meaning of some words, giving us the ability to distinguish between music using the language alone.

So, I don't know from where you had taken up "Hindi doesnt have anything unique on its own" - please elaborate, so that I can learn also.

And Sunil is a creator, if he express something, feel free to ask an explanation, he will certainly give more than you have asked for, he has done that in the past and I am sure he will carry on doing it. Thanks.
    Last edited by mappi; 16th September 2014 at 03:29 PM.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

4. Thanks Sunil_M88 thanked for this post
    Likes Sunil_M88 liked this post
    Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I, A. R. Rahman

By Baradwaj Rangan - The Hindu; September 17, 2014

http://www.thehindu.com/features/met...?homepage=true

6. Thanks mappi thanked for this post
    Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ That article made no sense... the writer was just rambling on without really having his own opinion....
    Last edited by Lanc; 18th September 2014 at 03:38 PM.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sunil_M88's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kaaviya Thalaivan and I

These two albums are like chalk and cheese but before you know it there’s something really special other than ARR that bridges these two together.

“Pookkalae Sattru Oyivedungal” (PSO) could have easily been from KT if it had authentic and traditional instrumentation and percussions. The melody is something I was waiting for in KT, don’t get me wrong as “Yaarumilla” is one of the very few songs which have been universally accepted by all ARR fans from different walks of life but I feel the melody PSO is richer especially with the inclusion of Shreya’s “Alaap” and IMO would have suited KTs soundtrack better.

Sometimes I wonder whether if an ARR album doesn't have his vocals then is it truly a complete album?

PSO is an ARR track through and through, his presence is written all over this track and it seems like he supervised Haricharan to fire on all cylinders immaculately.

Shreya Ghoshal has made her place in the hearts of all Indians as her pronunciations of languages secondary to her always still soar with authenticity. Though I don't understand Thamizh, it feels like I've never heard clearer and purer Thamizh from any other North Indian singer.

It seems like Shankar is a victim of globalisation somewhere along the line, I pray and wish that he eventually succeeds in putting Tamil cinema on the world map but from recent releases I think he feels like his culture might cause hindrance to his popularity and international reach. Whatever his views are don't matter but the world has still a lot to learn about Tamil civilization and so ordering ARR to come up with songs that are already done and tested internationally is a gamble as it has its benefits and chances of backfire.

Alas I’m glad ARR decided to PSO insert it in “I” otherwise the album might have be more prone to bashing than more than it already it is already facing.

Yes, ARR is the best, even if the Indian quotient is less prevalent in his music! I'm not taking the credit for IRs contribution away but ARR seems more excited to move ahead with time. Versatility is key and as A fellow member of arryg rightfully said ARR is cruising at present. Who would have thought ARR could come up with Ladio when he started his career. It is this drive and this passion along with being in the right team that ARR is still climbing the higher peaks of fame. Ladio, can easily be mistaken as if it were by an American or European DJ but ARR fans that move ahead with time will appreciate its real worth rather than foolish fans who accept this material but if the same material was made another music director then these foolish people would claim that it is sh*t. I'm glad I'm not associated with ARR fans who have double standards and I'm glad that fans who only like ARRs 90s songs actually like Ladio and respect that the other songs didn't strike much of a chord with them.

I've reached a stage where I would like to hear ARRs handling of more musical genres done and tested in the current mainstream scene. I will be waiting for the day when makes a "Trap beat", Yuvan has already done it but doing the done and tested is what results from ARR when he is in his cruising phase. He might be balancing between climbing and cruising but giving more importance to the latter but that doesn't restrict him he from putting his special touches on familiar international music. ARR will always be a student himself but a professor to others.

Let's not forget it was due to Rahman Ji's behest that Shankar went ahead with a Live Orchestra to provide Enthiran's BGM. It will always be give and take between this duo and they feed off each other to release their creative juices.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber A.ANAND's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raagadevan View Post
    I, A. R. Rahman

By Baradwaj Rangan - The Hindu; September 17, 2014

http://www.thehindu.com/features/met...?homepage=true
    can anyone translate this article in tamil..oru elavum puriyala!

Junior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A.ANAND View Post
    can anyone translate this article in tamil..oru elavum puriyala!
    அதே அதே. இவரு ரஹ்மான திட்டுறாரா இல்ல பாராட்டுறாரான்னே தெரியல.

லிபரேட்ங்கிறாரு, வால்லில் மாட்ட முடியாதுன்னு என்னென்னமோ சொல்றாரு. நமக்கு தான் புரியல.

ஐ படப்பாடல்களுக்கு என்ன குறைச்சல்னு தெரியலை. எனக்கு பிடிச்சிருக்கு. உண்மையை சொல்லனும்னா எனக்கு "காவியத்தலைவன்" பாடல்களை விட இது பிடிச்சிருக்கு.

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    The rough gist would seem to be he enjoyed it more from a cerebral point of view (of noting the things ARR tried) and hasn't yet really embraced the songs.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber A.ANAND's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thozhar View Post
    அதே அதே. இவரு ரஹ்மான திட்டுறாரா இல்ல பாராட்டுறாரான்னே தெரியல.

லிபரேட்ங்கிறாரு, வால்லில் மாட்ட முடியாதுன்னு என்னென்னமோ சொல்றாரு. நமக்கு தான் புரியல.

ஐ படப்பாடல்களுக்கு என்ன குறைச்சல்னு தெரியலை. எனக்கு பிடிச்சிருக்கு. உண்மையை சொல்லனும்னா எனக்கு "காவியத்தலைவன்" பாடல்களை விட இது பிடிச்சிருக்கு.
    ithila enna periya aacariyam sonna,not as ARR fan i say,'ghibran,aniruth,santhosh,gvp mathiri ilam MD's irunthum avarukku pottiya,avar levellukku music compose panna yaarum varala'..but irunthum indraya thalaimurai MD's still doing great stuff..!!AI athai meendum udaitherinju vittathu..unakku no pensyen thalaiva..evanum..
    Last edited by A.ANAND; 20th September 2014 at 01:01 PM.

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mahen01 View Post
    @sunil_M88 -deleted- there is nothing called hindi music. All from Tamil, Karnatic, western and Arabic.. Hindi doesnt have anything unique on its own.
    Can you please explain what is the connection between North Indian - as in UP and Bihari folk music - and Arabic? Or Punjabi music for that matter (the most important source material in the last decade or so and always an important 'strain' in Hindi film music since the days of O P Nayyar). Just because Punjabi music can be heard in Pakistan doesn't make it Arabic; that only reflects the fact that it used to be a common province and culture at one time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast