Page 318 of 400 FirstFirst ... 218268308316317318319320328368 ... LastLast
Results 3,171 to 3,180 of 3992

Thread: Film / Documentary - Recently watched & worthy of some discussion

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahen View Post
    Vennira Iravugal - malaysian film..
    Will watch it tonight.
    Last edited by mappi; 28th November 2014 at 06:15 PM.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahen View Post
    Vennira Iravugal - malaysian film..watched for the heck of it..ended up liking it..nothing new story wise but screenplay was quite good..and it was refreshing to see Myanmar..heroine was quite pretty and slim
    Not a bad film. The "Malaysian Film Tag" permitted me to complete watching it, as I have not watched many Malaysian movies. Found the intial parts of the movie, esp. at the airport quite well made. But - as I don't know any of the actors, the female lead - her featuring voice and her narrative voice are so different. Was it the same person who dubbed them ? Her featuring voice and slang was something new to me, where as her narrative voice was very good. The long haired hero ... well its a nice attempt with whatever they had, and a story of relationship has been well delivered. Also, the romance angle was quite matured, that sticks to it till the end.

Vennira Iravugal - Nicely Painted
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

4. Likes NOV liked this post
    Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rsubras's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    so many positive reviews about Kaaviya Thalaivan........... no reviews in mayyam yet............ Rahman's fans innum paarkaliya Am planning to watch tommo
    R.SUBRAMANIAN

My Blog site - http://rsubras.blogspot.com

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Mahen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mappi View Post
    Not a bad film. The "Malaysian Film Tag" permitted me to complete watching it, as I have not watched many Malaysian movies. Found the intial parts of the movie, esp. at the airport quite well made. But - as I don't know any of the actors, the female lead - her featuring voice and her narrative voice are so different. Was it the same person who dubbed them ? Her featuring voice and slang was something new to me, where as her narrative voice was very good. The long haired hero ... well its a nice attempt with whatever they had, and a story of relationship has been well delivered. Also, the romance angle was quite matured, that sticks to it till the end.

Vennira Iravugal - Nicely Painted
    not sure if its her own voice or not..
    Usurae Poguthey Usurae Poguthey..Othada Nee Konjam Suzhikayila

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Mahen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kaaviya thalaivan - average stuff from Vasanthabalan..casting sidharth was mistake imo..songs were brilliant and bgm was good..but not in the same league as iruvar..
    Usurae Poguthey Usurae Poguthey..Othada Nee Konjam Suzhikayila

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kaaviya Thalaivan - not much of a Kaaviyam

What could have been a master-piece, is let down by poor casting and a weak storyline. It started out well on the premise of the love story between SG Kittappa and KB Sundarambal.

In real life, Kittappa was already a married man when he fell in love with KBS but that did not stop him from getting married to her when he was 21, and she 19. Kittappa was a wife-beater and an alcoholic and their only child didn't survive beyond a few weeks. Soon she left him and shortly, at the age of 27, Kittappa died. KBS travelled to his village, paid off all his debts and immersed his remains at Varanasi. Since his death, she clad herself in white cotton. She appeared in some movies after that and was active in politics. While alive, the couple were also active in freedom movements.

Such is the illustrious background to the story chosen by Vasantha Balan, who is known to take an incident and spin a whole story around it, very successfully.
    SG Kittappa became Kaaliyappa while KB Sundarambal became Vadivambal in his story. While in real life it was KBS who began her career by singing in trains, here VB made Kittappa the train beggar-singer. Pritiviraj is introduced as Gomathi Nayagam - the antagonist of the story.

None of them made justice to the characters they played. Siddharth's Kaaliyappa was more cartoonish than a drama artiste while Prithviraj was hardly the menacing, scheming, evil brother. Unfortunately Vedika as Vadivambal, had almost nothing much to do. Sad.
    In fact, the only brilliance in drama portraying was done by Ponvannan, who was miles ahead and completely outshone the leads.
    Thank God for Thambi Ramaiyah too, who made the film bearable to watch.
    The biggest joke - which had the audience laughing - was when Prithviraj's acting as Karnan was praised by Ramaiyah as having seen the real Karnan. Oh God, do this people even have a conscience?
    The paper thin story was draggy and after the stops and bumps, it was only interval time.

The title card and the accompanying music promised a lot, but none of them lived up to it.

Kaaviya Thalaivan - average fare.

Watch life story of KB Sundarambal here, and understand why I feel shortchanged.

Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

9. Thanks mappi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watched Kavyathalaivan
    I agree with every single line of what Mahen and Nov said

Subject taken by Vasanthabalan is Fantastic but should have concentrated just on drama culture and how it was acted as trigger points independence struggle down south
    Instead vasanth took tiff of prithvi on siddharth which is beaten to death that is why we feel 1st half is lot better
    Rajesh......

Vazhkai enbathae oru anubavam thaane...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber selvakumar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oru Oorla Rendu Raja - nalla thaanae irukku. Time pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ponnu Vellai tholah? illai Karuppu tholah?
    RE: Aennn.. Puli tholu..

Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs. Never use jargon words like reconceptualize, demassification, attitudinally, judgmentally. They are hallmarks of a pretentious ass. - David Ogilvy

Senior Member Diamond Hubber selvakumar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Liked all the songs. Inman is in good form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ponnu Vellai tholah? illai Karuppu tholah?
    RE: Aennn.. Puli tholu..

Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs. Never use jargon words like reconceptualize, demassification, attitudinally, judgmentally. They are hallmarks of a pretentious ass. - David Ogilvy

Junior Member Senior Hubber Mr.GreyShirt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Madras - Started off extremely well but the finishing was just meh...
    It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.
    - Robert H. Goddard