Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Neerparavai [Tamil : 2012 : 2h15m]
    Written & Directed by Seenu Ramasamy
    Produced by Udhayanidhi Stalin
    Music : N. R. Raghunanthan
    Cinematography : Balasubramaniem
    Banner : Red Giant Movies

Starring : Vishnu, Sunaina, Nandita Das, Saranya Ponvannan, Ram - others in extended cameo : Samuthirakani, Thambi Ramaiah, Azhagam Perumal, Vadivukarasi, Aruldass

Financial "maddened" son menaces his mother to sell their "heritage" seashore house, to which his mother is always deaf to. That night the young couple after "window-watching" the mother, discover a mysterious tomb under which a skeleton is dug open. Enters the crime police suspecting the mother as the killer of her husband, thus taking her under their custody for questioning. What the mother revels is an astonishing tale of an aimless young man who underwent several character changes and crossed all hurdles to prove the abusing society of fishermen how efficient he could be. But the uncertainty of coming back from fishing in a fisherman's life slaps their faces with reality, and this time the nature does not have a role in it. What really happened and who are responsible to harm the calmness of fishermen lives is narrated in a much appealing manner.

Neerparavai is a beautiful story narrated in a poetical way taking much care not to be preachy or prickly but to deliver what exactly it intends to. Being always favourable to "doc-dramas", there is no surprise that Neerparavai held my attention for its entire runtime. But again not all audience would like this format. If this fact that its a doc-drama is accepted and anyone is prepared to watch the movie, I am sure by the end ‘that anyone’ would either fall in love with the film or at least be dumb folded with the last dialogue of the movie. In any case its a good sign that you have accepted to walk along with the film maker Seenu Ramasamy.

Seenu Ramasamy has done a neat job. Right from picking up the theme till the final product his grip could be felt. He cleverly repeats the initial life of the lead character many times for the first hour or so, and prepares us to witness the characters second innings in life. This is where he wins as we are taken around the same environment but this time under a different mood. So the viewer-ship is not balanced which immediately gains momentum. The picturisation is worth mentioning. The visuals does not fatigue you even though they are in and around the same place. The camera positioning takes care of it. Music/bgm does not cry for any attention. Its simple yet efficient. This is the point that came to my mind when I was watching the movie - simple but efficient. Editing has served well to fill in the gaps in the narration and play with visuals to retain the continuity. Again a simple technique. Dialogues need special attention, as at some place its the dialogues that keeps us engaged. The art work is good - the seashore houses, the workshop, teashop etc., brings in an authentic feel. The technical team is strong and they all understood the project and worked hand in hand, Neerparavai is a perfect exemple.

Vishnu as an alcoholic, then a lover boy, then a reformed man, then an able fisherman tries to bring in some differences and ends up giving a pretty decent performance. Sunaina is good when she stands like a statue and stares at the proceeding. Her face brings the calmness asked for. And she was fitting in the costume. But for the rest, I did not see her quite appealing, yet her performance is quite note worthy. Saranya does her role without any assistance as though she is "born-for-that-actress". But still the déjà vu kind of acting pulls down the anxiety in the role that she wishes to deliver. Among these characters that you see quite often, its Ram, as Vishnu's father, who emerges distinct. He has given a classy performance. The rest established actors have given their best - Samuthirakani as ‘Bhai the boatmaker’, Thambi Ramaiah as ‘the drunken master’, Azhagam Perumal as ‘the church daddy’, Vadivukarasi as ‘the associate of Vijay Mallya’, Aruldass as "i-am-not-the-villan" co-fisherman - all outshine each other in their performances. Nanditha Das as ‘the mother’ - whoever gave voice for her needs a pat - the last line is what breaks the movie from becoming normal to mastery.

[Question : Who is the actress who plays the sister to the salt merchant ? What a gorgeous (round) face and expressive eyes she has ! ]

I did not look into the nominations or the awards this film will or had won. But yes, its an award winning material as it shows purely the candid life of a community. It takes into account all the petty things like carrying the fishes, netting, security call, market, etc., as it should be. Secondly the theme and the dialogues used to register it. Thirdly some performances are top notch. Fourthly the religious integrity - the boat baptizing scene was well made. The attention given to filming such sensible issues, be it territorial problems or communal ones makes the movie mature. Finally the technical aspects are great especially Cinematography & art-works. I am a "city-boy" so I do not know the village lifestyle or that of the fishermen community. I believe Neerparavai and I felt it was truthful. For ex: there is a church panchayat scene - an excellent scene - it takes place about 25 years before - was it really like that near coastal areas ? Anyway for the truthfulness, appreciation is important, so Neerparavai should be recognised.

That does not mean that the movie does not have any flaws. Many characters come and go. Who are they, why are they there is as mysterious as finding out where the movie is going during the first hour. There are songs that interrupt your concentration. Several scenes, including a fight scene, are stretched in a way to make a stretching race-game with a chewing gum. Somewhere in the romance proceeding I was lost and could not breathe in the emotions of Sunina or Nandita Das (and thats on a personnel note). Few others are listed on my notepad, but there is no point in bringing them all in here just for the sake of it.

Neerparavai : Soulful

PS : Thanks NOV for recommending this movie.
    Last edited by mappi; 4th August 2013 at 06:21 AM.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    whoa! what an amazing review
    I am glad you enjoyed the film as much as I did.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Turbo

David Soren , DreamWorks Animation

எப்படித்தான் இதுபோன்ற கனவுகளுக்கு வடிவம் கொடுக்கிறார்களோ! பல காட்சிகள் கவித்துவம் நிறைந்ததா இருக்கு. ஒவ்வொரு நொடிக்கான உழைப்பு கொஞ்ச நஞ்சமல்ல.. செதுக்கியிருக்கிறார்கள். கார் ச்சேஸ் சிறப்பான முறையில் படமாக்கப்பட்டிருக்கிறது. 3D-ல் பார்ப்பதே ஒரு தனி சுகம்.

சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Post Thanks / Like
    The Conjuring - much ado about nothing.
    Pizza and Kanchana are better thrillers
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber HonestRaj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Theeya Velai seyyanum Kumaaru

- sundar C kalakkittar
    - consecutive (kalakalappu & tvsk) good humour films when directors could not sustain full length comedy..
    - nice timepass film
    - sundar c credits a bunch of people as "screenplay team" .. Nalan Kumarasamy is one among them..
    - hansika summa moththu moththunu irukka..
    - sam.. you beauty..
    - end credit song.. nice to show Kushboo & hansika.. both look alike..
    - after Kalakalappu... good one from Santhanam.. unless he teams with good directors.. he is not performing well..

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NOV View Post
    The Conjuring - much ado about nothing.
    Pizza and Kanchana are better thrillers
    Yenna Nov ipadi sollitinga. Had hopes on this film. Add the Warrens to it, thrills and scares are guaranteed. I am a fan of The Amityville Horror and The Haunting in Connecticut, 2 true cases from Warren files. I had put this movie on the same scale ...

Releasing here on 21/08.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

Senior Member Devoted Hubber gane14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Conjuring, Good One...
    எல்லாம் நன்மைக்கே

Post Thanks / Like
    Mappi, it's not a bad film. Maybe it's just me.
    The same old tired story of old bungalow with new occupants (man wife & 5 daughters)
    Then strange things happen - the dog dies first

Yes it's based on a true story but doesn't appear in the ordinary annals because it's so horrifying.

But in reality it's more build up than actual terror. One hour of bleh and remaining minutes of action and even they don't raise your bp.

It's not a bad movie but nothing like how it's been hyped up for.

Junior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revisited Arya 2

it s one of fav. telugu films which can be watched in multiple times @ any time...
    asaalt acting by allu arjun nd gorgeous kajal nd superb screenplay nd dialogues which made the film multiple time watchable...