Thread: Film / Documentary - Recently watched & worthy of some discussion

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Poriyaalan [Tamil : 2014 ; 2hrs : Thriller]
    Directed by Thanukumar
    Written by Manimaran (Udhayam NH4)
    A Vetrimaran Production

Banner : Vendhar Movies

Saravanan (think Murugar Names are highlight of 2014 releases), Saravanan (Harish Kalyan) is a civil engineer graduate with ideas and ambition in right mix. He ventures to start his own contruction buisness dreaming to move on to higher grounds by developing his city with fabulous "monuments". His "colony-friends" Prabhu & Karthik (another Murugar) come to his help, where the former deals with the finance and the later in chosing plots and managing other paper works. When everything seems to be just fine, the first alarm goes off over the registered land. This alarm seems to be a faint bell before the alarm triggered by Prabhu, when he confesses from where he got the money for the dealing. Within a window of 48 hours 'Saravanan & co' must race against time not only to clear all their settlement in this land dealing but also confront the horrors that await to clutch their loved ones.

Another very good time pass film. The tension mounts as the movie advances. Some "natural looking" performences do captivate our interest. The lead pair is quite charming and the supporting actors do hold the movie steady. The surprise is the role played by Mohan Raman, a very good character, he will irritate you and if you are, then thats the best award you can give him. The villan (Achuta Kumar) too was quite commanding who is just right to the point everytime and menancing just like Pandiyanadu Villan.

The story is what that helps the director, an amazing story with interviened characters who have something to do in the proceedings. Eventhough it may look like a episode from Sathuranga Vettai, I was quite impressed with Manimaran's work. Taking the principal theme line from our mythologies - "To slay an 'Arakan', God sends one" - 'the no connection what so ever' Hero-Villan jumbling up story is quite refreashing. The climax Quaters Fight was well made, simple & short. Other very few things & questions, lets leave them in 'choice' as this movie provides a solid entertainment.

Poriyaalan - Prachanai Ulla Pattadari
    Last edited by mappi; 11th September 2014 at 07:16 PM.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber mexicomeat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    just use any of the million youtube downloaders out there

இலக்கியத்தில் நான் வண்ண தமிழ் மழலைக்கு பாலூட்டும் தாய்
    சினிமாவில் விட்டெரியும் காசுக்கு வாலாட்டும் நாய்

-Vaali

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sigaram Thodu

A police story woven with a crime which we hear or read about on a daily basis. Except for the love portions, the film flies in jet speed. The love portions are not bad but takes the pace off from an otherwise racy movie. Looks like a winner from the UTV camp.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Burma - Very different and good. Somehow seeing mostly average reviews for it, except from Baradwaj Rangan. The movie length is only 99 mins. You can definitely give it a try. Waiting for a review from mappi for this one.

http://baradwajrangan.wordpress.com/...57-87-096-989/

Senior Member Diamond Hubber selvakumar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Navagraha Nayagi - despite all abatham In this movie, the sani graha portion in the movie is a well written one. The guy who acted as lord Sani was a perfect fit for the role

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ponnu Vellai tholah? illai Karuppu tholah?
    RE: Aennn.. Puli tholu..

Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs. Never use jargon words like reconceptualize, demassification, attitudinally, judgmentally. They are hallmarks of a pretentious ass. - David Ogilvy

Senior Member Diamond Hubber HonestRaj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jigarthanda..
    - good time pass
    - unexpected twists makes it interesting

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber hattori_hanzo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Salim - fairly good thriller. A mix of Falling Down(Evano Oruvan) and Unnaipol Oruvan. Illogical but watchable. I liked his first movie Naan too.
    ஒரு ஆதிக்க நாயகன் சாதிக்க வந்தால் அடங்குதல் முறை தானோ..

Senior Member Devoted Hubber dell_gt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hattori_hanzo View Post
    Salim - fairly good thriller. A mix of Falling Down(Evano Oruvan) and Unnaipol Oruvan. Illogical but watchable. I liked his first movie Naan too.
    yerp NAAN was much more better..
    #UttamaVillain#

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Movie Buff View Post
    Burma
    Burma, the movie, did not release here. Surely will watch it when the DVD releases. I did post the trailer in the "upcoming movies" thread, found it a bit different. If you have liked it, I am sure that I will find it interesting too. Have enjoyed almost all the films you recomended.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only one day, and already declared a hit!!!!
    I watched the film - its not even 50% the horror/comedy of Kanchana
    Not as funny as Kalakalappu either.
    Ok for one time watch...

Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!