Page 73 of 194 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast

Thread: ஐ - Shankar + Vikram + Amy Jackson + ARR

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hattori_hanzo View Post
    Agreed. ARR fans notice several new aspects in his songs - instruments, mix of different genres, deviation from conventional pattern etc. It would be good to see a healthy discussion on these improvizations & way they stand out from the other MD's works - like that of Anirudh, Imman or Yuvan. Someone like me who doesn't easily identify the technicalities can benefit from them. IR's strength is the usage of raagas to bring in the right mood (For instance, he used Charukesi, a raga which gives a feel of love & devotion in 'Kaadhalin Deepam Ondru', 'Chinnathayaval Thantha') although the instruments he used were traditional.

And I believe, the term 'Peter' refers to the singing style (desperately trying to be non-Tamil which does turns many TFM lovers off) and not his music.
    Obviously if someone grew up listening to songs like "Kamban emaandhaan" it would be hard to transition to "ennodu nee irundhaal" type songs. Kamban emaandhan is a masterpiece from the genius MSV. Ennodu nee irundhaal, IMO, is also a masterpiece from ARR

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Mahen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anban View Post
    kamal fans do critically analyse his movies .. ARR fans mostly behave like blind supporters .. ithuku mela enna pesurathukku irukku ..
    one of the best post ever..
    Usurae Poguthey Usurae Poguthey..Othada Nee Konjam Suzhikayila

Junior Member Veteran Hubber paranitharan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahen View Post
    one of the best post ever..
    this post is the worst in the history.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinemarasigan View Post
    I was saying about 90's songs of ARR are very nice and hear them even now.. Have you seen any of my earlier posts saying those songs are not good ? I have even old audio cassettes, cds of those ARR albums, not sure whether you have them.. It is not in good taste the way it is being generalized ...
    If you ask MSV-TKR fanatics, they would say MSV by himself was not that good. IR fanatics fed on IR staple diet don't like what came after him. ARR fanatics probably don't like Anirudh's type of dappaankuthu songs. As someone who has listened to music on radio from MSV peak days, I would say all the MDs have their own unique talent. To me I songs sound awesome.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Mahen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hattori_hanzo View Post
    But I am surprised when you guys tend to mock everyone who doesn't get impressed with ARR's songs.
    you are free to like or dislike the songs..in fact many have shared their views that I is not upto mark etc..thats fine..the additional comments such as nativity/peter/kattu kathal etc are the ones that irked me/us...
    Usurae Poguthey Usurae Poguthey..Othada Nee Konjam Suzhikayila

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CEDYBLUE View Post
    Finally listened to 'I' songs in peace and enjoyed the album. I have been reading the discussions in the last 4-6 pages on the technicalities, AR's decline in the last decade and stuff.

I don't listen to any of ARR's hindi albums, neither did I listen to his last Tamil release, Kochadaiyaan. Prior to Kochadaiyaan, I had listened extensively to Kadal, Maryan, Endiran, Ravvan and Vinnaithandi Vaurvaya, ARR's last 5 albums in Tamil. Barring, Raavan, I have enjoyed all the albums and most of the songs have been on my playlist till now. Talks of ARR's decline in the last decade amuses me personally, as I find his music a cut above the rest, even today, in Tamil. You name any from Harris, Yuvan to today's Anirudh, the music of these folks are good, but ARR's music is premium to me. You can call it his brand name or his brand of music, to me till date, Rahman's Tamil numbers have been magical, personally. A classic, cut above the rest.

I don't see any decline in quality either if we have to compare his scores of today to his early days' number. But I don't follow music outside the Tamil boundaries and have very little knowledge on the technicalities/nuances of music. I just enjoy music and if it's an enjoyable and a good listen, that's quality to me and most of ARR's work has been splendid in that regard.

The music of 'I' is no different experience. Instantly loved Ennodu and Pookala and being a fan of fast, peppy numbers, Mersalayitten is also a favoirte.

My Favorite order

1. Ennodu Nee Irundhal

2. Mersalayitten

3. Pookala

4. Ladio

5. Alia Alia
    I am unable to rate them in order. First I liked Pookale best. Wife, however, wants only Mersalayitten! Then I liked Ennodu nee irundhal very much. Then I listened to Aila Aila and found it wonderful. Even ladio is very good. Overall a fantastic album. I would have like one more melody of Pookale type and it would have become a murderous album. Still happy with the output after Kadal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A.ANAND View Post
    naan kamal hater illa sir, i like most his 80's movies..because 'arr fans kuda kamal fans-sa irukangga,athey mathiri kamal fans kuda arr fans-sa irukaangga'..i sayto silapala blind'aravekkadu'-ikku..
    A cynic could easily remark that Viswaroopam was kuppai with lot of violence. Especially Kamal's voice which arguably did not jell with the terrorist character.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar View Post
    Nice writeup as always,Cedy. Glad that you are enjoying I.

Meanwhile, ARR's previous tamil release was Kaaviyathalaivan. Do give a try. Its not for the masses. But its great in its own way.
    Kaviya thalaivan has some nice songs (just like Maryan), but the album does not have the I or Kadal effect!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber A.ANAND's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    now waiting for thalaivar bgm for the movie..

Junior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Music4Ever View Post
    Obviously if someone grew up listening to songs like "Kamban emaandhaan" it would be hard to transition to "ennodu nee irundhaal" type songs. Kamban emaandhan is a masterpiece from the genius MSV. Ennodu nee irundhaal, IMO, is also a masterpiece from ARR
    If unbiased, you could appreciate music regardless of who the music director is or the era. A lot of times, I've liked a musical piece and then seek out to find the people involved in making it. Cult following as those for IR or ARR happens when a MD continuously smashes the charts. Effectively both and others less popular as well have given awesome music.