Page 161 of 194 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 1936

Thread: ஐ - Shankar + Vikram + Amy Jackson + ARR

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alone And I In Hindi Fare Better In Single Screens
    Friday 16 January 2015 23.30 IST
    Box Office India Trade Network

Alone and the dubbed version of the Tamil film I have grossed better in single screens than the multiplexes. The collections of Alone are weak at multiplexes while I is a bit better at certain properties and has the better trend as far as multiplexes go.

The business of Alone should be around the 3 crore nett mark for day one which is slightly better than what Creature 3D grossed a few months back but that was a slightly different genre without the sex element. The collections of I in Hindi should be around 1.75 crore nett.

Both films should have done better considering the screen space they got especially Alone but now it is about growth over the weekend which both films may struggle to get the 20-30% jumps they need for respectable numbers.
    This is a very big world!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber k_vanan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mappi View Post
    I doubt any of our films are shot in IMAX, which really needs an IMAX screening. Bigger the hall, bigger is experience is wrong, unless the footage was a product of the amazing IMAX filming process. Else it looks just bigger hardly without any resoultion. For a variety of reasons, IMAX film production is much more complex than normal film production, add in the cost incurred, we cannot be aiming at it atleast for the next decade. Also, we don't have IMAX theatres, so making our regional movie with IMAX does not hold any benefit. Large budget (say Hollywood movies Mission Impossible or Matrix or Batman) films added footages shot in IMAX to the main play, and some are even processed to be projected using double projectors (like in GrandRex Paris - not IMAX though).

An IMAX image carries immense detailing and its projection is multiple times more than the 35mm or normal 70mm. Its basically incorporating 70mm film which are run through the projector horizontally, so that the width of the film is the height of the frame. This increases the resoution many folds higher. While the aspect ratio of traditional movies is a widescreen is usually 1.85:1 or 2.35:1, IMAX is closer to that of a rectangle at 1.43:1.

The camera are heavy and the projectors are noisy. Given the cost of production - filming, processing & projecting - the ticket price shoots up. But the experience you get is huge. Add in all the techniques of Sourround Sound System, you are taking the experience to your home. So it all depends how much you wish to spend, the necessity and finally the audience acceptance rate.

So, expecting our movies on IMAX, for the moment is still a dream. If one of our movies is projected in IMAX, I pity the audience.
    Thanks mappi but enaku therincha varaikum some Hollywood movie without imax material also screening there ? or maybe the quality not same as with imax projected

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    K_Vanan,

Unless we get to see the technical details, its very difficult to see whether the film is shot in IMAX (ofcoarse the few in the line can make out, but for a general audience its not quite obvious). Due to heavy cost incurred for filming and processing, most of the productions houses don't go for it, eventhouhg IMAX propose the best and enhanced technology. Some films, like Batman, if I am not wrong, about 40 minutes footage was shot in IMAX. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice short promo clip for ComicCon was shot in IMAX, I have not yet seen it, but heard that the detailing was superb.

Comming to Hollywood movie been screened in IMAX theatres, there is one possibility - DMR - Digitally Mastered Release. Its the new technology in processing the film which is adaptable with IMAX theatres. It comes in limited release/prints. You get more or less the 70mm or digital IMAX experience, if the film maker has thought about it while filming. Just like how they do for 3D films - preplanned work and detailing, rest it sits in the labs for a while before the final product sees the day light.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I movie review: Shankar delivers a winner yet again riding high on Vikram’s brilliant performance- http://www.bollywoodlife.com

The lack of novelty in plot is compensated by engaging story telling filled with twists and turns to keep you engaged

Post Rajinikanth’s Robot, director Shankar has been away from big budget films for four years. With Vikram’s I, the director revisits his love for grandeur and visual spectacle, without sacrificing the elements of commercial cinema. With huge anticipation among the fans all over, I is sure to rule the box office for next few days. Backed by a great team of actors and technicians including names like Vikram, AR Rahman and PC Sreeram, Shankar has tried to sell the old wine in new package. Does it work? Read on to find out.
    What’s it about:
    I recounts the age old saga of love and revenge, keeping in mind the taste of mass audiences. The story revolves around body builder Lingesan, whose goal in life is to become Mr Tamil Nadu. Apart from training restlessly in gym, Lingesan’s only other job is to fantasise about hs favourite super model Diya, night and day. Meanwhile Diya, played by Amy Jackson, appalled by the behaviour of fellow ad model John, played by Upen Patel, has a chance meeting her fan Lingesan. In order to resurrect her drowning carrer in ad world, Diya seeks Lingesan’s help, asking him to star in a high profile perfume commercial with her. Love blossoms between the two leads, which irks transgender stylist Osma, who loves Lingesan. Lingesan turns into Lee, an ad world sensation with in just few months time. Jealous of his rising career and blossoming love life, John, Osma join hands with Diya’s family doctor, who has a thing for Diya, to bring Lee down. The detractors evil plan works as Lee soon becomes hunchbacked cripple due to influenza virus injected in his body. How does severely deformed Lee aka Lingesan, takes revenge from his enemies forms the rest of the story. Will Diya accept him in the crippled form?
    What’s good:
    I is technically a very sound film, backed with sprawling sets, breathtaking make up, amazing camera work, nicely choreographed stunt sequences and some great background score from AR Rahman. Though the story has nothing new to tell, an interesting twist and turns keep you engaged. Vikram has given a stand out performance pulling of three different roles – body builder, model and hunchbacked cripple with great conviction. Be it comedy, romance or action, Vikram is game for it. The amount effort he has put to get into the shoes of body builder’s character is commendable. Amy Jackson looks hot and sexy at the intial stages of the film and has shown a lot of improvement from her previous performances. Upen Patel has good screen time in the film and the Bigg Boss star has utilised it well by giving a decent enough performance. Suresh Gopi is the surprise element of the film. The songs, composed by Rahman, are brilliant, especially Tum Todo Na( Ennodu Nee Irunthaal) song will leave you mesmerised. The portions shot in China are extremely beautiful.
    What’s bad:
    Contrary to it’s amazing trailer, I does not have an exhilarating story to tell, as Shankar rehashes the old clichs and packs them in a new way. The film’s three-hour run-time your tests you patience, as I found myself checking my watch more than once. While watching I, at times I thought, if so much of grandeur was required for the film to work. The scenes with transgender’s feelings and heart break, have not been dealt subtly as I found everyone in the audience laugh at her dismay, leaving me cringing in my seat. When the credits roll, we get to see Vikram slowly getting cured from his crippled ailment, which I felt was unnecessary as I felt the makers are trying to force a happy ending down my throat.
    What to do:
    I is not a great film and you are bound to be disappointed if you go in with huge expectations. But Vikram’s I is far from bad film. Watch it as a regular entertainer and the chances are there that you would end up liking it. I is a visual spectacle which should not be missed on big screen. Watch it for Vikram’s efforts, Shankar’s grandeur and some amazing make up work by WETA.
    Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Post Thanks / Like
    Rajeev MasandVerified account ‏@RajeevMasand

My review of @shankarshanmugh's #I http://tinyurl.com/l5s3cyx Eye for an eye!

'I' review: The pace is brisk, the set pieces thrilling making it entertaining

The highly anticipated romantic thriller I from visionary Tamil director Shankar is a work of staggering ambition, somewhat weighed down by the filmmaker's own indulgence. Clocking in at a butt-numbing three hours and six minutes, the film works off a busy story that's centered on Lingesan (Vikram), a local bodybuilder from Chennai's KK Nagar, who goes from winning the Mr Tamil Nadu title to winning the attention of his longtime crush, a supermodel named Diya (Amy Jackson).

Before reaching the long-winded yet predictable love story that inevitably ensues, the first hour of I is unabashed fun. At one point during a brawl between our hero and an army of oiled musclemen, Lingesan proudly lifts two vanquished rivals on both ends of an iron rod like a barbell. In an imaginatively filmed song sequence, nifty special effects are employed to convey our protagonist's all-consuming obsession with the heroine. What's not to like? The pace is brisk, the set pieces thrilling, and no apologies are made for the many double meaning jokes provided by our hero's best friend (Santhanam).

But all this is just window dressing for what resides at the core of this film- a revenge plot. His relationship with Diya and his new career as a successful model sees Lingesan make a string of enemies who subsequently gang up and ruthlessly disfigure him to teach him a lesson. Now hunchbacked and covered in plum-sized warts, Lingesan will pick them off one by one, dispensing his own brand of fitting justice to his offenders.

Shankar revisits his favorite theme of customized justice, and indulges his continuing fascination with the idea of 'one-hero-multiple-avatars'...at one point even giving us a Beauty and the Beast-style dream sequence to drive home the message about beauty being only skin deep. But the last hour of the film is tediously repetitive. The characterization of a transgender stylist is distinctly homophobic, and a key twist can be guessed from a mile away. The film keeps on going even when there's no surprise or revelation left, until you're truly and completely exhausted.

That's a shame because there's so much to admire in I, particularly Vikram's riveting central performance. He brings nuance through accent and body language, and succeeds in making you care for Lingesan even when he's buried under layers of prosthetics. Veteran cinematographer PC Sreeram puts up quite the show too, filming terrific action scenes like that gravity-defying bike chase on the rooftops of a housing colony in China, and those wondrous eye-popping musical numbers set to AR Rahman's winning tunes.
    There's a lesson in I for makers of masala movies everywhere: Big-budget commercial films don't have to be lazy, mindless enterprises; you can bring big ideas and apply craft. I may be far from perfect, but for the most part it's pretty entertaining stuff. I'm going with three out of five.

Rating: 3 / 5

Post Thanks / Like
    Komal Nahta

Aascar Film (P.) Ltd.’s I (UA; dubbed from the Tamil film of the same name) is a unique love story. Lingesan (‘Chiyaan’ Vikram) is a champion bodybuilder. He adores top model Diya (Amy Jackson) but feels, he can never make contact with her. Then one day, fate brings them together.

Diya has acted and continues to act in many ad films with John (Upen Patel) who is also a top model like her. John wants to get physical with Diya but she is not interested. John seeks revenge for the rebuff by ensuring that she doesn’t work in any ad film with him. There is one important ad film for which John and Diya have been signed. Before John can replace Diya, she has him replaced. She seeks the client’s permission to let Lingesan work in the ad film opposite her. The unit leaves for China to shoot the ad film. As Lingesan is too intimidated by Diya, he is just not able to perform in front of the camera. Exasperated, ad filmmaker Sushil (Mohan Kapur) asks Diya to feign romance with Lingesan to make him feel at ease. As the ad film is a matter of life and death for her, Diya obliges and tells Lingesan that she has fallen in love with him. This puts Lingesan so much at ease that he puts all his inhibitions behind him and acts superbly. The ad film becomes a rage and Lingesan and Diya consequently become the hottest pair in the ad world.
    Diya and her mother closely know Dr. Vasudevan (Suresh Gopi) who doubles up as their family friend. Lingesan also, in a way, owes his body*building championship to Dr. Vasudevan’s guidance.

Meanwhile, gay stylist Ojas Jasmine (Ojas M. Rajani) has developed a strong attraction for Lingesan but is put in his place by Lingesan. He, therefore, hates Lingesan. Soon, Lingesan gets to know that Diya doesn’t love him and had lied to him. Anyway, after confronting Diya, Lingesan moves on. But now, Diya slowly but surely realises that she is in love with him. Their romance blossoms. The two even decide to get married.

One day, Lingesan realises that large chunks of his hair are falling. Soon, a tooth of his comes out. Dr. Vasudevan investigates. Even as the investigation is on, Lingesan develops large blisters all over his face and body and also gets a hunchback. In short, the very handsome Lingesan soon turns into a supremely ugly man. On being told that he is suffering from an irreversible disorder, Lingesan is left with no option but to walk out of Diya’s life. Lingesan ensures that Diya gets the news that he (Lingesan) is dead. He wants her to get married to someone else and settle down in life.
    Diya’s marriage is now fixed with another man. But on the day of the wedding, Lingesan kidnaps Diya so that she cannot marry that man. Of course, Diya does not recognise Lingesan as he looks old, ugly and scary.

Why does Lingesan have a change of heart? Why does he not want Diya to settle down in life, which is what he had wanted after he had become disfigured? Does Diya get to know why she has been kidnapped? Does she get to know the truth about Lingesan? Whom does Diya marry? What is Lingesan’s agenda? What is the real story behind his disfigurement?

Shankar’s story is quite different from the umpteen love stories made. The intrigue value of the love story is novel and fresh. Although the romantic portions could’ve been more heartwarming, the novelty of the drama, which unfolds after the romance is over, makes up for the lack of warmth. Shankar’s screenplay is fantastic and keeps the audience interest alive from the start till the very end. The scenes, at times, do look a bit stretched but they don’t bore. The second half, in which the suspense keeps unfolding, is superb. The revelation of the last bit of suspense is shocking and truly gives the audience a jolt. The visual in the final scene of the film is so exhilarating that the viewer’s heart dances with joy. Dialogues, written by Swanand Kirkire, are very effective. If the dialogues in the light scenes evoke laughter, those in the dramatic ones enhance the impact.

‘Chiyaan’ Vikram does a marvellous job as Lingesan. His acting is par excellence. He has worked hard on his physique, looks and get-ups and deserves kudos for the results. His make*up and prosthetics are outstanding. Amy Jackson looks glamorous and pretty and also acts ably. She endears herself to the audience. Upen Patel looks smart and performs well. Santhanam is lovely as Lingesan’s comic friend. Suresh Gopi excels as Dr. Vasudevan. Ojas M. Rajani leaves a mark as stylist Ojas Jasmine. G. Ramkumar makes his presence felt as the businessman for whose companies Lingesan, John and Diya model. Mohan Kapur lends able support. Kamaraj is effective as a bodybuilder. Others lend good support.

Shankar’s direction is first-rate. His vision is unique and the translation of his vision on to the celluloid is brilliant. He has kept the narration so interesting that the viewer’s eyes remain glued to the screen. He has given the film a huge canvas and has made it an audio-visual treat. A.R. Rahman’s music is very nice but the Hindi songs have not become popular – and that is a drawback. ‘Tum todo na’ song is very melodious. ‘Aaila aaila’ and ‘Tu chale’ songs are also appealing. The other songs – ‘Issak taari’ and ‘Ladyo’ – are entertaining. Irshad Kamil’s lyrics are noteworthy. Song picturisations, by Bosco-Caesar and Shobi, are out of the world. The visual effects in the songs, in which inanimate objects are converted into human forms, are breathtaking. A.R. Rahman’s background music is superlative. P.C. Sreeram’s cinematography is of a very high class. Locations are simply too beautiful. ‘Anl’ Arasu and Peter Ming’s action scenes and stunts are unbelie*vably brilliant. In fact, action of this kind has rarely, if ever, been seen earlier in Indian films. T. Muthuraj’s sets are grand and ostentatious. Weta Workshop’s (New Zealand) prosthetics and makeup deserve special mention. Llewellyn Anthony Gonsalves’ editing is sharp. Dubbing is excellent.

On the whole, I has the merits to entertain. It may have started slow but it will pick up due to positive word of mouth and end up doing fair business in the final tally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Movie review: Watch I for Shankar's vision & Vikram's acting - Suhani Singh(indiatoday)

Shankar's much awaited dream project I has finally hit the theatres. The filmmaker had a vision and clearly he left no stone unturned while executing it. From casting Vikram and Amy Jackson in the lead to roping in AR Rahman for the music and PC Sreeram to add the magic touch with his cinematography he has lined up the best team possible. It's not everyday you will get to watch a visually rich movie like this.
    Lingesh (Vikram) is a bodybuilder who aims to win the Mr. India title. You see him in action right at the start. He lifts two men on a bench press bar, rotates them and throws them on ten other men who are waiting to attack him. Lingesh is a fan of Diya (Amy Jackson) a model who is having problems with her co-actor John (Upen Patel) because John only wants to sleep with her. Diya approaches Lingesh for an ad opposite him, he is hesitant but she prepares him to face the camera.
    Since he is madly in love with Diya he skips the Mr. India contest because the dates clash with their ad shoot in China. The two fall in love and that's where the problem begins. Her family doctor (Suresh Gopi) who has seen Diya since she was a child betrays the family and joins hands with the enemies of the couple and injects a deadly virus called I into him putting an end to his promising career. Now it's Lingesh's turn to take revenge and what he will do is worse than what they did to him.

Vikram essays three different characters in I- the bodybuilder, the model and then the hunchback. The actor has obviously given his best for this project and the transformation from one character to the other is quite evident since he had put on weight and then lost all of it.
    Even the hunchback scenes with tons of makeup must have been extremely tough but Vikram impresses and how! If anyone needs a crash course in acting they only have to observe Vikram from the first frame to the last one. Amy Jackson looks gorgeous, acts well and is another good reason to watch this film. Suresh Gopi too does justice to his role. Worst actor from the cast is Upen Patel who doesn't add anything in fact every time he is on screen your focus shifts from the film to his terrible expressions.

Music by AR Rahman is top class! He has obviously given his best to match up to Shankar's vision. The songs are shot extremely well and some are absolutely wild like Issak Tari in which you see a girl turn into a mobile phone to a television and even a motorbike. Tu Chale and Tum Todo Na are visually extraordinary.PC Sreeram has shot the film beautifully and captured the best of every location making it an amazing visual treat.

The humor in some parts is a bit crass. When Lingesh sees Diya in a swimsuit he faints and his friend says, "Madam aapki headlights dekh ke iska fuse ud gaya!" The other problem is that the film starts with a lot of promise but gradually drags towards the end of it. In this three hour long film the second half is stretched quite a bit. A lot of parts of the story seem juvenile which can't be ignored because the scale is so large and so are the expectations.

Full marks to Shankar's vision and Vikram's acting and that's reason enough to watch I.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vikram's I is definitely a Pongal treat- rediff.com

Director Shankar’s I is an extravagant revenge saga that revolves around a beautiful tale of love sullied by jealousy, greed and anger, says S Saraswathi Director Shankar’s phenomenal success record is legendary. He is one of those rare directors, who turns everything he touches into gold.

It has been three years since his last film, and expectations have hit the roof for his latest venture -- the mega-budget romantic thriller, titled I.

The film does live up to the monumental benchmark set by his previous films in terms of glitz and glamour, but at the heart of this spectacular extravaganza is a predictable revenge saga.

Lingesan (Vikram) is an enthusiastic body builder totally in awe of the hot and happening supermodel Dia (Amy Jackson).

Though he understands his status and holds no hope of ever winning her affections, fate brings them together.

Dia is harassed by her colleague and popular model John (Upen Patel). When she refuses to succumb to his demands, he gets her blacklisted.

She loses many of her contracts and is furious. In retaliation, she decides to create her very own model.

She brings in her stylist, a new haircut, trendy clothes and some stylish sunglasses transforms the lowly Lingesan into a suave and stunning personality.

But mesmerized by her beauty, Lingesan is still uptight and awkward around her. Their chemistry just does not work.

A frustrated Dia pretends to fall in love with him to loosen him up a bit. This works wonders and together they take the modeling world by storm.

But in the process they make many enemies. Besides John, there is Ramkumar Ganesan, a business tycoon, Dia's stylist, who is also in love with Lingesan and a bitter body builder from Lingesan's previous life.

There is also the well wisher and doctor of Dia's family, Suresh Gopi, who has an axe to grind.

The narrative lacks the pace; we usually associate with a Shankar's film. But he does tell a beautiful tale of love sullied by jealousies, greed and anger.

The intriguing screenplay as the director alternates between the light-hearted past and the thrilling present keeps you engrossed.

Vikram, as he painstakingly transforms himself from a body builder, to supermodel to ugly hunchback, is truly impressive and deserves much applause.

Amy Jackson too is perfectly cast.

Thankfully Shankar has not sidelined her in favour of Santhanam.

Celebrity makeup artist Ojas M Rajani is simply hilarious as the gay stylist in the film.

The cast may be perfect, and performances excellent, but Rahman and PC Sreeram are undoubtedly the real winners of the film.

Sreeram's visuals, especially those shot in China, simply stun you, giving new life and meaning to the already memorable songs.

Shankar efforts at making them spectacular are evident, but the same cannot be said about the plot, which seems rather tame in comparison.

Towards the end, the narrative takes on a humorous turn, which does not quite gel with the gravity of the situation.

Nonetheless, Shankar's I is not to be missed, it should be watched in all its glory on the silver screen. Definitely, a treat for Pongal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brilliant master stroke by Sangar and team
    My onions and Signature changes according to my desperate need to be in lime light as the BIG Brother :0 - just saying..

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Mahen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k_vanan View Post
    IMAX only at TGV right Mahen... So far no tamil movie play malaysian IMAX theater

Yeppo-than viduvukaalam varumo
    Yup..and for movies to be screened in Imax, it needs to be shot in Imax format AFAIK..its expensive..

Nov,you maybe right but it doesnt look like a 4 storey

GSC introduced the IMAX theatre on the 10th floor of Berjaya Times Square, KL, but then in 2010 re-branded it as GSC Maxx, a 555-seater hall with a 25-metre screen that plays 2D and 3D movies.
    Usurae Poguthey Usurae Poguthey..Othada Nee Konjam Suzhikayila