Thread: Kugan's Kitchen Part 7

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Roshan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What are anchovies?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Roshan, over here we use that word to describe nettili karuvadu. Dried small fellers.

Also, I understand Sri Lanka has its own version of Sambal, no?
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kugan98's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kugan's Kitchen Part 7

Roshan, the anchovies I used will look very tiny and whitish in colour.
    Similar to this one.

Thanks, Kugan
    Chefs are just like children.
    They should be seen not heard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070 View Post
    Roshan, over here we use that word to describe nettili karuvadu. Dried small fellers.

Also, I understand Sri Lanka has its own version of Sambal, no?
    Oh Neththili Karuvaadaa? we call it sprats in Sri Lanka (Haal Messoa in Sinhalese and Neththili Karuvaadu in Tamil). A very common item in our meals. We do make a couple of dishes with this, including Sambal, but the recipe is a bit different. We get bottled instant Neththili Karuvaadu Sambal in super markets. They taste really good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks K, for the picture. Yes this is what we get in Sri Lanka too. I should try your recipe.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roshan View Post
    We do make a couple of dishes with this, including Sambal, but the recipe is a bit different.
    The recipe Kugan gave was pickled version. The sambal itself here does not include the spices. It's basic with only chilli, shallots, dried shrimp paste, bit of garlic, all grind, fried on oil then in goes the anchovies (half-fried in my case). There are variants, like some (like NOV, and Kugan too, I think) does not include dried shrimp paste. I am definitely interested to know the Sri Lankan version.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070 View Post
    The recipe Kugan gave was pickled version. The sambal itself here does not include the spices. It's basic with only chilli, shallots, dried shrimp paste, bit of garlic, all grind, fried on oil then in goes the anchovies (half-fried in my case). There are variants, like some (like NOV, and Kugan too, I think) does not include dried shrimp paste. I am definitely interested to know the Sri Lankan version.
    What we usually do at home is almost as same as your version without dried shrimp paste. But I think it should taste better with it. We use dried shrimp paste/powder in various other dishes like Murungai keerai/agathi keerai poriyal/sundal, peerkangai curry, coconut sambal, capsicum curry, onion sambol etc but not for sprats. There's another version with tomatoes, onions/shallots, garlic, curry leaves, chilli powder and tomatoes with 1/2 or 3/4 fried karuvaadu. We also make a hot curry with coconut milk. I must try your version with dried shrimps paste. It usually gives a very nice and tempting flavour.

Post Thanks / Like
    From what ever the recipies posted by K, I should say there are a lot of similarities between Malaysian style and Sri Lankan style of cooking. Even South Indian style is not very much similar to Sri Lankan. That's why I find KL a better place for food and like in SL you get plenty of varieties in Malaysia.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    KUNG PAU TOFU looks so fresh n yummy!!!... I hate tofu but seeing the pic, I just feel like giving it another try..
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    KUNG PAU TOFU looks so fresh n yummy!!!... I hate tofu but seeing the pic, I just feel like giving it another try..
    Consider your self banned from this thread
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye