Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: || Kochadaiyaan | Rajinikanth | ARR | Soundharya R || - Audio release & reviews

Senior Member Diamond Hubber A.ANAND's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just in: Kochadaiiyaan audio launch announced

The much-awaited Kochadaiiyaan audio release, which was supposed to be held on Rajinikanth's birthday, December 12, has now officially been revealed. The audio has been announced to be launched on Feb 15, a day after Valentine's Day. The fans are eagerly awaiting the audio launch of the film which has music scored by Oscar winning A R Rahman.

Sony Music, which has the acquired the audio rights of the film has revealed that the production house Eros International have informed them that the audio of 'Kochadaiiyaan' in A R Rahman's music will release on 15th Feb, 2014. Directed by Soundarya R Ashwin, Kochadaiiyaan casts Rajinikanth, Deepika Padukone, Shobana, Sarath Kumar, Nassar, Jackie Shroff and Aadhi amongst others.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Avadi to America's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.musicaloud.com/2014/03/08...ie-soundtrack/
    Blaring horns, the rich strings section, resounding percussion and a well-utilized chorus – Engae Pogudho Vaanam is probably the most majestic a Rajni-SPB song has ever sounded. All that majesty still doesn’t make the song best in the category however; the song is fraught with too much heard-before-ness for that. Nevertheless, it is heartening to hear SPB’s voice teeming with energy and flawless as ever, the man hadn’t been looking that great of late. Rahman later builds on the title hook of the song, accentuating the period feel around it to produce the pensive instrumental piece called Rana’s Dream, played by the London Sessions Orchestra. In keeping with the dream theme, the composer keeps it tranquil – strings and woodwinds washing over each other in an enchanting fashion. The title song is another elaborately orchestrated piece, sung by the Kochadaiiyan Ensemble. It is the orchestration that rules this one though, particularly the multifarious percussion (chenda, edaykka, pakhawaj,temple bells to name a few) that form a killer combination with the deftly incorporated synth elements. Maattram Ondrudhaan Maaraadhadhu is essentially Rajinikanth rendering some punch-lines to an orchestral background, with the occasional recess filled by Haricharan and chorus’ singing. In the end there is a minute-long konnakol session by Umashankar VInayakram which doesn’t seem to bear any particular connection to what preceded it, maybe the visuals turn out more explanatory.

The guitar strains that kick off Medhuvaagathaan sounds almost exactly like the opening of Maahi Ve! Fortunately that phase passes soon enough, revealing a beautiful kalyani/yaman-based melodic piece instead. With SPB and Sadhana Sargam doing a fab job on vocals as well, there are times when you are taken back to the ARR music of 90s. Seeing the name Latha Rajinikanth on the vocal credits, I wasn’t very sure about Manappennin Sathiyam. The lady however does manage an endearingly earnest rendition of the charming melody that is predominantly dwijawanthi raaga, with the occasional hint of hamir kalyani (I think) in places. The other highlight of the song is the lovely use of naadaswaram. The male version titled Manamaganini Sathiyam has Haricharan in the lead, and expectedly does a better job of the singing. Idhayam is a curious composition, the most classically-oriented and period-sounding of all – starting off on panthuvarali and goes through multiple raaga shifts before closing with shivaranjani (both raaga details supplied by @vijaynarain). The arrangement is clearly Hindustani-based, which adds to the intrigue. If there is one person who well and truly owns the song though, that is Chinmayee, making what is undeniably a complicated rendition sound like a walk in the park. The male vocal credits have been given only to Srinivas (haven’t seen that name on ARR’s vocal credits in a long time) though there seem to be others. Finally there is Karma Veeran, another grandiose anthemic piece sung by the composer and sister A R Raihanah. But this one too winds up as one of the weaker songs of the soundtrack, mainly owing to two reasons – the déjà vu factor, and Raihanah’s singing.

When I started listening to Kochadaiiyaan I wasn’t pinning a lot of hopes on it. But I am delighted to have been proven wrong. Easily one of the best soundtracks that A R Rahman has produced for the Superstar!

Music Aloud Rating: 9/10

Top Recos: Medhuvaagathaan, Manamaganini Sathiyam, Idhayam, Engal Kochadaiiyaan
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Avadi to America's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.musicaloud.com/2014/03/08...ie-soundtrack/
    Blaring horns, the rich strings section, resounding percussion and a well-utilized chorus – Engae Pogudho Vaanam is probably the most majestic a Rajni-SPB song has ever sounded. All that majesty still doesn’t make the song best in the category however; the song is fraught with too much heard-before-ness for that. Nevertheless, it is heartening to hear SPB’s voice teeming with energy and flawless as ever, the man hadn’t been looking that great of late. Rahman later builds on the title hook of the song, accentuating the period feel around it to produce the pensive instrumental piece called Rana’s Dream, played by the London Sessions Orchestra. In keeping with the dream theme, the composer keeps it tranquil – strings and woodwinds washing over each other in an enchanting fashion. The title song is another elaborately orchestrated piece, sung by the Kochadaiiyan Ensemble. It is the orchestration that rules this one though, particularly the multifarious percussion (chenda, edaykka, pakhawaj,temple bells to name a few) that form a killer combination with the deftly incorporated synth elements. Maattram Ondrudhaan Maaraadhadhu is essentially Rajinikanth rendering some punch-lines to an orchestral background, with the occasional recess filled by Haricharan and chorus’ singing. In the end there is a minute-long konnakol session by Umashankar VInayakram which doesn’t seem to bear any particular connection to what preceded it, maybe the visuals turn out more explanatory.

The guitar strains that kick off Medhuvaagathaan sounds almost exactly like the opening of Maahi Ve! Fortunately that phase passes soon enough, revealing a beautiful kalyani/yaman-based melodic piece instead. With SPB and Sadhana Sargam doing a fab job on vocals as well, there are times when you are taken back to the ARR music of 90s. Seeing the name Latha Rajinikanth on the vocal credits, I wasn’t very sure about Manappennin Sathiyam. The lady however does manage an endearingly earnest rendition of the charming melody that is predominantly dwijawanthi raaga, with the occasional hint of hamir kalyani (I think) in places. The other highlight of the song is the lovely use of naadaswaram. The male version titled Manamaganini Sathiyam has Haricharan in the lead, and expectedly does a better job of the singing. Idhayam is a curious composition, the most classically-oriented and period-sounding of all – starting off on panthuvarali and goes through multiple raaga shifts before closing with shivaranjani (both raaga details supplied by @vijaynarain). The arrangement is clearly Hindustani-based, which adds to the intrigue. If there is one person who well and truly owns the song though, that is Chinmayee, making what is undeniably a complicated rendition sound like a walk in the park. The male vocal credits have been given only to Srinivas (haven’t seen that name on ARR’s vocal credits in a long time) though there seem to be others. Finally there is Karma Veeran, another grandiose anthemic piece sung by the composer and sister A R Raihanah. But this one too winds up as one of the weaker songs of the soundtrack, mainly owing to two reasons – the déjà vu factor, and Raihanah’s singing.

When I started listening to Kochadaiiyaan I wasn’t pinning a lot of hopes on it. But I am delighted to have been proven wrong. Easily one of the best soundtracks that A R Rahman has produced for the Superstar!

Music Aloud Rating: 9/10

Top Recos: Medhuvaagathaan, Manamaganini Sathiyam, Idhayam, Engal Kochadaiiyaan
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is

Junior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/t...view/9380.html

audio release nadanthucha? yaaraavathu paatta kaettingala?

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Awesome
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.GreyShirt View Post
    Kochadaiyan Trailer.

expected far worse ! Much better still tacky in few places. For Indians / Indian standards its a good first step. The only way India can produce better output is when these technologies get cheaper in next couple of years (I guess).
    My onions and Signature changes according to my desperate need to be in lime light as the BIG Brother :0 - just saying..

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.GreyShirt View Post
    Kochadaiyan Trailer.

expected far worse ! Much better still tacky in few places. For Indians / Indian standards its a good first step. The only way India can produce better output is when these technologies get cheaper in next couple of years (I guess).
    My onions and Signature changes according to my desperate need to be in lime light as the BIG Brother :0 - just saying..

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Listened to the songs. Excluding Kuselan, this is the very first Rajini movie album where there are no catchy songs for Rajini's mass IMO. In that aspect, its a let down. How well the free flowing Rahman tunes fit into the screen play, let me wait and see. To me, Idhayam is the only winner so far. That too, it could have been much better if Chinmayi replaced with any highly talented singers like Chitra/Shreya. Rahman nowadays shown interest in composing songs without proper structure with strings background. But when comes to lyrical portions for such compositions, the chemistry between sandham and lyrics often lose their scope/merits. Somehow, I find a big listening resistance in me. And, last but not least, I am not impressed with Vairamuthu's words. Liked here and there but overall, its a letdown as the lyricist often tries to mix-up with template based phrases and jumping from past/present to present/past and his "hey! look at my writing!" skill only exposed.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Listened to the songs. Excluding Kuselan, this is the very first Rajini movie album where there are no catchy songs for Rajini's mass IMO. In that aspect, its a let down. How well the free flowing Rahman tunes fit into the screen play, let me wait and see. To me, Idhayam is the only winner so far. That too, it could have been much better if Chinmayi replaced with any highly talented singers like Chitra/Shreya. Rahman nowadays shown interest in composing songs without proper structure with strings background. But when comes to lyrical portions for such compositions, the chemistry between sandham and lyrics often lose their scope/merits. Somehow, I find a big listening resistance in me. And, last but not least, I am not impressed with Vairamuthu's words. Liked here and there but overall, its a letdown as the lyricist often tries to mix-up with template based phrases and jumping from past/present to present/past and his "hey! look at my writing!" skill only exposed.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My take:

For the masses currently enjoying GVP, Imaan, Harris' hits, this album will definitely sound impressive as it's musically rich and has some grandeur in it. For the rest of us, the songs are unfortunately stale. The dwijavathi's, pooriya dhanashree's, vasantha's... we have heard them before. They only give the deja vu feeling as someone wrote above. Where are you the daring, innovative ARR? Miss you terribly in this album..

The HCARR fans can only take solace in the fact that the album is much better than the previous Rajni-ARR combos. The songs will grow on them as I don't see any other musically attractive album of the this caliber being churned by anyone else these days. But my worry is: the cartoonish picturisation may spoil everything. So.. relish the songs till the movie released. At the sametime, hope that I am wrong about the movie turning to be comical for the wrong reasons, but actually is liked by everyone and the songs become chartbusters.. Still it won't change my personal disappointment thought. I guess I'll wait for some innovations/experimentations in the next ARR album, and sincerely hope that he hasn't plateaued.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast