Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any JK Rowling / Harry Potter fans there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Noooo...first Sirius now Lupin? What's with you bloodthirsty fiends???

Don't keep knocking off all everyone....

Nobody likes Minerva McGonagall? That's funny! I rather like her, and I think her character was played out admirably in the movie too.

Ron's a moron...see, even his name is part of the word..RON..moRON

Has anyone read Enid Blyton? I mean, seriously read Enid Blyton? I grew up reading Blyton - devoured her classics...from the Magic Faraway Tree to the Five Findouters and the Dog...

What JK Rowling has done is neatly lifted most of the plots/ideas from Blyton and given it a dark coloring. Blyton aimed at the little ones, so her books were always bright and cheery. JKR, in keeping with the times, has warped those innocent stories into sinister ones and is getting away with it...

haha...now to sit back and watch the outrage!!!
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber scorpio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Badri,
    Want a war?? Seriously??

The main characters in Blyton's books never grow up, do they? My daughter was reading Enid Blyton like hell and got bored very soon as the characters are so mumdane after you read a couple of books ( Famous five series).

HP is probably the only children's ( also adult's) series where the main characters actually age upwards in every story and it is a different Harry in every book.

I'm not a great Ron fan myself, so, will wait for Ron fans to kill you on that!
    Your attitude determines your altitude!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sanda podalama? At least it will be a harmless sandai, unlike the vitriolic ones raging in the hub like Aryan and Dravidan stuff...

Enid Blyton vs JK Rowling?

Orinality vs plagiarism?

Innocence childhood vs Corrupted childhood?

Bright and cheery vs Dark and sinister?

Universally approved vs banned in some religous orders?
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber scorpio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Badri,

Beware man, you'll probably end up fighting against, alone ( unless you PM JG to call Harry names) but there will be many to support HP!

Let me wait for some time to hear others views as well!
    Your attitude determines your altitude!

Senior Member Senior Hubber lordstanher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I luuuv HP ;-)

I've read many Enid Blyton's novels. Also tried reading JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings (1st book) 3 years ago but um- found my interest waning in the middle & so....gave it up!
    So I gotta admit, HP series r the most fascinating books I've read! (altho the part in GoF where JKR actually kills a character 4 the 1st time was a tad disturbing & did cause me shut the book then, I later got over it and still felt eager to continue reading HP books!).....well ppl. may say it doesn't exactly classify as an um- children's only book w/ the murderings described more or less explicitly in the last 2 issues but still, I can't but find it good fun to read.....
    My fav. HP book/movie is 'Chamber of Secrets' mainly bcos it has an old flying car (a 1960s Ford Anglia) in it and since I'm addicted to old cars, twas on seeing this car on the cover of CoS in a bookshop at Hyd'bad 5 yrs ago tat I got curious to pick it up for the 1st time!
    So it turns out tat unlike most other ppl., I started reading HP books from the 2nd book onwards! and then went 4 the 1st!
    And I've been stuck on HP since.....old car or no old car!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just kidding, Akka...I bought 4 of her 5 books...that ought to tell you how much I like her writing. It is original alright, not in content, but in presentation.

Dragons, magic, spells, witches on brooms are all old stuff. But JKR has done a remarkable job in wedding the old with the contemporary and above all, her writing style has managed to keep so many of us the world over hooked to her. That populism is itself proof of her skills.

Vox populi vox Dei

Senior Member Devoted Hubber tomato's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sbadri99
    Ron's a moron...see

Really!!!! I don't think so, I think Ron is adorable.

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Ron is purposely kept that way, as a kind of kow-towing side-kick to Harry. Remember the 1st time they met? Both were two lost kids who kind of were drawn to each other because of their mild-mannered curiosity!

They weren't always trying to prove their intelligence the way Hermione does or aren't vitriolic like that piece of turd, Draco Malfoy(?)!!

Anyway, let's see what other saving graces there are, as we watch Ron grow with Harry by his side! I have hopes yet for that carrot-top!!

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rowlings' characterization is better than many of other fantasy writers. Her characters are distinct individuals (not like in some books lsuch as the Tamuli Series by David Eddings, where all the characters seem to have similar traits of wittiness in dialogue and super intelligence).

Ron is one of my favourite characters. He is not the most talented in the magical sense or smart but he is the most normal kid among the three main characters. His insecurities, envys and desires make him a compelling character that balances Harry's character. He also happens to have a great sense of humour that Harry is sorely lacking at this point (though that is comprehensible). Unfortunately, in the movies he has been relegated to the role of a mere sidekick and comic relief though he is so much more than that.

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

go to my page

go to my page!!
    all about dan and about the 4th movie

http://www.freewebs.com/danielrocksanddps/chatroom.htm
    EDITH&DANIEL 4EVER

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast