Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: All Ragas of Rahman

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    //
    RR, thanks for suggesting Shruthi Layalu. What a brilliant soundtrack! Mama!
    That mandolin song... damn! I've gone nuts on this one! What stylish Mandolin playing! Is that U.Srinivas in the video (and/or behind the scene)?
    Aakarsh, have you/Suresh/Plum written about this movie/songs anywhere? If not, here's your assignment, mate!
    //

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    KV,

Sruthilayalu was a K.Vishwanath movie that had classical music as the premise. So, you know, it is bound to be good (in 80s). I havent written about the film because its been a long long time since I watched it. K.V.Mahadevan scored the music and I heard that mandolin Srinivas was employed for the mandolin pieces in the film. Coincidentally, the child-artist in the film was Srinivas (not U.Srinivas).

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info, Aakarsh.

Theeyil vizhundha thEna (godfather)... what scale is this one in? I see traces of Charukesi. I have mayanginEn solla thayanginEn and Anbe en anbe anbe (june R?) ringing somewhere in my head. Some sites say Chakravagam/AhirBhairav and some others, Vaasanthi. Confusion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Never heard that song. Must have heard only few times and if I dont remember it now, it means it didnt register much! somehow that album Godfather didnt impress me!

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    KV, it's charukesi scale but stresses a lot on vaasanthi part. Similar to 'kaathalin deepam ondru'.

Godfather also has a good hindolam - innisai alabedaye.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Roshan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Wizzy, Sunil and Akarsh for the video links. Finished watching.

Will check Charulatha Mani's videos tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    The song Pal Pal Hai bhari (Swades) has raag Jaunpuri (apparently) and Jaijaivanthi(this i have felt). I like this composition a lot and i feel Swades is a very good album by him. Yeh Tara Woh Tara was based on raag Kalavathi.

Post Thanks / Like
    aakarsh, I too like swades album. Most of the songs are good. Even the tamil dub is not bad. I think kalavati/valaji almost never failed MD's. Suits filmy tunes quite nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    RR,

True! But the extent of usage in films has been very limited (I have zero knowledge about Tamil film industry before IR). Back in 60s, composer Naushad gave "Koi Sagar" and Roshan had few songs (such as Kaahe Tarsaaye from chitralekha I think). Pt. Ravi shankar gave one, called "saanware saanware". Then in 70s, R.D.Burman's Hum kisise kum nahi title song had shades of this raaga. This song inspired Jatin Lalit for the title song of Sarfarosh. In 80s, ilaiyaraaja did a beautiful Kalavati in Swarna Kamalam (Telugu film). After that, Yeh Tara is the only song I heard in this raaga. ARR did it very well!

More recently, Leslie Lewis gave a very racy Kalavati "Jhanana Jhanana" in an obscure film called Apna Aasmaan.

Post Thanks / Like
    aakarsh, there are several pre-IR kalavati's but let's recount them in another thread, just to avoid too much digressions.

For today, a pilu based song. I don't hear too many good pilu songs in TFM (though many in hindi films- 'mainu ishq da' from DHKMN is a beauty) except occasionally like 'vannam konda' by SPB. Then came this stunner from Jodi. Arguably one of the best hariharan solos under ARR. Listen to this 7 min wonder where both have given almost everything they got..

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast