Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: All Ragas of Rahman

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    KV,

Panthuvaraali and Amruthavarshini have different colours altogether! how come you have bracketed them in same question?

Panthuvaraali, Vasantha, Hamsanandi, Gujri Todi, Lalit, Sohini, Maarwa, Pooriya dhanasree.. these are the similar sounding raagas (for me).

As for your question on ARR's panthuvarali - Hai Rama in Rangeela is one.

Ruth Aagayi re is a fantastic song in that, but I remember reading that it is Pooriya Dhanasree.

I havent heard ARR using Amruthavarshini ever. But a small piece in the BGM of Robot does show a shade of that raaga for a moment, before changing its colour.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nay, didn't bracket 'em, buddy... just that these two are among my favo raagams.
    Oh yeah! How did I forget Hai Raama! And yes, Ruth aagayi sounds close... need to revisit.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sunil_M88's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My favourite raagas are reethi gowlai, abheri/bhimpalas and anandabharavi (resembles reethi gowlai)

anandabharavi songs

Anbendra mazhayile - gospel song in anandabharavi
    Mettu podu by spb and p. susheela, has one one of the best preludes done by Rahman Ji. Kadri gopalnath
    Thaniye Thananthaniye (later remade into nachley, hence bhangra in anandabharavi)
    Theenthanana - my fav song from rhythm, it wasn't in lakeer

Rahman Ji has this fascination over making Tamil songs in Hindustani raagas and Hindi songs in Carnatic raagas
    Last edited by Sunil_M88; 6th February 2012 at 06:03 PM.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the list, Sunil!
    Idhu sugam sugam is one heck of a composition in Dharmavathi! ARR, Vani, SPB

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RR View Post
    Roshan & Arvind

Both are excellent charukesi's - 'edho edho' is my favorite. This raga must have fancied him a lot. He used it often and most of them were hits. 'mazhai mega vanna' - desam ('pal pal hai' - swades) is another beautiful. He also used charukesi for his Raga of dance piece in vanessa mae collaboration:

Note the graha bedam in the middle..
    What a stunner! Listening to this for the first time. Just now realised that i have it on my hard disk, but never listened to it. This is a hidden gem.

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    KV: vaango.. vaango.. your guesses seem right to me. Both 'hai rama' & 'ruth aagare/machiniye' are classified by pundits as poorya dhanashri. But, feel-wise i don't see much difference from pantuvarali.

Sunil: your 3 favorite ragas are some of the more often used ones in films (the songs usually become hits) with reeti gowla being a recent, md's attention capturer. But ananda bairavi, ARR lightens it a bit too much to give a different flavour. The list.. i have seen it before. We'll go thru it and fix the mistakes in this thread as we progress..

I thought Raaga's dance was hugely popular and everyone must've heard it by now.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KV View Post
    v_sji, thanga thaamarai is shivaranjani eh? . Even the starting lines?
    KV,
    That's the problem with my crude way of listening. Only sometimes it clicks. Intha paattOda raagamellam, ketkumpOthu, eppavo oru pusthakathel'a ezhudivechathu. Just wrote here from there. I felt it was sivaranjani at few places. Please clarify. RR also told it has a mixture of raagas.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sunil_M88's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    sunil: good videos! 'azhagana raatshashiye' is a cool fast riti gowla. In darbari, we can add 'kaatre en vaasal vanthai' too.
    Sometime ago, was listening to Rehna Tu - haken continuum fingerboard portion (I don't know if it is raaga based) Being an electronica and raaga composition fan, I wrote a post saying I would love to hear reethi gowlai on the continuum. Rahman Ji may not have delivered reethi gowlai but it was a pleasant surprise to hear Acid Darbari (continuum) from the 127 Hours OST

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Roshan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Roshan,

Listen to the part from 2:29 min onwards. The piece stops at a note, and then starts off with a different scale. Later again it comes
    back to charukesi.
    Listened to it a couple of times again and trying to download it now.

I think this is not a very good example. There's one song in telugu movie 'sruti layalu'. The kid sings and demonstrates graha bedam. You can youtube it.
    Will look for it. Thanks again Loving this thread !

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sunil, tell us more continuum fingerboard. Which part of the song has it? any other songs?

Roshan: check out the IR forum threads too. There's lot lot more there on ragas, sruti bedam,etc.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast