Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: New age IR's Raga Choices

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Veenai Mettum is a song I chanced upon on dhool.com many years ago. Fantastic Madan Mohan-ish melody that hardly has any traces of Ilaiyaraaja, actually.

I really doubt if it is Malgunji. According to this page: http://www.indiapicks.com/SNT_Hindi/P-244.htm Malgunji is Rageshree aarohana and bhageshree avarohana.

By the way, this song: is similar to Veenai Meettum Kaigale

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    RR, V_S, Aakarsh -- the analysis was done at orkut ilaiyaraaja fans group --- the thread name is Raja's carnatic vista -- http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#CommMsgs...11093543825925

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi ,
    I checked with a friend who attended the concert.
    She confirms that it was mentioned as Niranjani only.

I am little confused here.
    Niranjani is a janyam of Yagapriya and has the structure S R3 M1 D1 N1 S | S N1 D1 M1 R3 S.
    It doesnt seem to have any reference to the song ABC Nee Vaasi.

I read in Orkut Groups that it could be Niroshtaa having the structure S R2 G3 D2 N3 S in the Aarohanam.
    However i feel it should be Ānandharoopa based on the structure S R2 G3 P D2 N3 S |S N3 D2 P G3 R2 S because the song has quite a lot of S R2 G3 P D2 N3 S N3 D2 phrases.
    Both Niroshtaa and Anandharoopa happen to be janyams of Shankarabaranam.

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    skr, I confirm the presense of Pa. So it's not in Niroshta.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, I had asked a colleague of mine about 1) veenai meetum kaigalae and 2) vaana mazhai pole.....

she checked her uncle, with a pro in hindustani and a disciple of Bhimsen Joshi (just came to know about this connection of her's), .

It seems her uncle listened to the songs, felt they were classics and gave the raga details as 1) rageshri, 2) gorakh kalyan ----taking shuddha nishad in madhya saptak like Bahar uttarang

I think Narayanan was right about Gorak kalyan !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, I had asked a colleague of mine about 1) veenai meetum kaigalae and 2) vaana mazhai pole.....

she checked her uncle, who is a pro in hindustani and also a disciple of Bhimsen Joshi (just came to know about this connection of her's), .

It seems her uncle listened to the songs, felt they were classics and gave the raga details as 1) rageshri, 2) gorakh kalyan ----taking shuddha nishad in madhya saptak like Bahar uttarang

I think Narayanan was right about Gorak kalyan !!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    The next ragam I want to take up is Desh. A ragam with supposedly 'limited' scope but Raja has given some excellent melodies. I will leave out the 80s melodies and talk about the 90s and later as usual.

This song was a recent discovery. As recent as today!! Swarnalatha in my opinion was the rightful heir of Janaki. She was able to sing any type of song and generally ate for lunch singers like Mano and Arunmozhi. And with SPB et al she stood her ground firmly. Pity that she first lost her voice and later we lost her. This song is a 'matter song' going the lyrics. The leisurely beats complement the raaga very well. 'oru pokkiri raathiri' from 'Idhu Namma Bhoomi'. Mano and Swarnalatha:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...6'&lang=en

Ragas may have their own grammar and limitations but they don't apply when Raja tunes them The one Desh I cannot miss in the 90s is the folkish one that he gave. When 'Kaakai Siraginile' was released lot of my SPB-Raja friends were thrilled. "SPB and Raja are terrific. This film music will break records. etc etc" Nothing like that ofcourse happened. This particular song did get a decent airing I would say but never rose to the top of the charts. SPB's singing, Raja's tuning and the funny lyrics mixed with English make this song unique:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...1'&lang=en

The two songs would have given a pleasant feeling and you can be excused if you think that Desh can be used only for such soothing melodies. As I said rules don't apply to Raja. Here is a 'kuthu' type song from 'Chinnavar' (about which album I have written earlier.). Mano and Chitra sing this wonderful duet. Raja gives it the required energy without taking away the soul of Desh. One more song to showcase Raja's grip on multiple aspects of music making:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...1'&lang=en

A more classical Desh, which is heart touching, comes quite naturally from his tribute to his spiritual guru. 'ennai kavrndhizhutha ramanan'. Outstanding composition.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...5'&lang=en

And finally, 'reminding us of olden days' melody:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...4'&lang=en

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh, I don't know carnatic, but I have read in the Forums that Oru Pokkiri is in Madhyamavathi(?) and Gopiyargal song is in Saranga. What do you think?

Also, you left out Vizhiyil Pudhu from Theertha Karayinile, which is my fav. Desh raga song.

Post Thanks / Like
    Venky,

Thanks for asking. I think I made the mistake about 'Oru Pokiri' For some reason it sounded like Desh to me but I guess it is closer to Brindavana Saranga. A friend told me in twitter. So we must remove it from the list.

I left out the 'Theertha Karayinile' song because it was from the 80s.

Post Thanks / Like
    And now I am confused, if the Desh flavor I am hearing in 'Chinnavar' is Desh or is it also 'Brindavana Saranga'?

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast