Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: New age IR's Raga Choices

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RR View Post
    KV, I see what you mean. Yes it's a bit better just because of SPB.

vel: It's interesting that IR went for neethimathi for such two grand orchestral works.
    yes RR, 2 of the 3 times he used this scale is for social upheavals /revolutions....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65 View Post
    KV / Vel,

To me, 'O Prema Devathe' has the feel of SumanesaRanjani (aka Varunapriya). Similar to 'jal jal jal salangai', the Jeyachandran / Swarnalatha(?) song. Ofcourse I too see the deviations but the pallavi and especially towards the end of pallavi the Varunapriya feel is very strong.

As usual, with Raja you can never tell. As Vel says, he has probably used a scale in a way he wants and which is logically consistent. It is just that we are unable to comprehend the logic.

Suresh, Samudhrapriya / Sumenesaranjani is | S R2 G2 M2 P N2 S | S N2 P M2 G2 R2 S - this is quite close to S R2 G2 M2 P D3 N3 S of Neethimathi. So the feel may be quite similar....(unless the D3/N3 is prominently used it may be tough to differentiate)

Post Thanks / Like

When we discuss about IR's raga choices, please we need to keep the above videos in mind. This video tells a lot about IR's approach to composing.....

He says he has used a raga and then does not say any raga name, but says it is | S R2 M2 P D2 N3 S | S N3 D2 P M2 R2 S ...now later we need to search for this scale and name it as Saranga Tharangini -- sort of reverse engineering is called for here.....also, he does acknowledge the fact that the grammar for film music is different. When sreekumar asks for whether raja has done any bhajans, he says -- the bhajans used in film music are a totally different ball game altogether ......5:25 to 5:35 .....

Post Thanks / Like
    a fanboy plug....see his knowledge of instruments, meter -- punjabi beat, marati beat......tamil temple beats.....

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vel View Post
    Suresh, Samudhrapriya / Sumenesaranjani is | S R2 G2 M2 P N2 S | S N2 P M2 G2 R2 S - this is quite close to S R2 G2 M2 P D3 N3 S of Neethimathi. So the feel may be quite similar....(unless the D3/N3 is prominently used it may be tough to differentiate)
    Vel, I don't think there's a R2 in sumanesa ranjani. Also D3/N3 is quite predominant in the song. Just watch the pallavi and the backing instrumentals.

I too can't find prominent use of R2 as KV observed. Which also explains Suresh's observation: the 'S G2 M2 P' parts lead to sumanesa ranjani feels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RR View Post
    Vel, I don't think there's a R2 in sumanesa ranjani. Also D3/N3 is quite predominant in the song. Just watch the pallavi and the backing instrumentals.

I too can't find prominent use of R2 as KV observed. Which also explains Suresh's observation: the 'S G2 M2 P' parts lead to sumanesa ranjani feels.

RR, are you suggesting this is neethimathi scale without the rishabham?

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    vel, could be. Needs a careful look if there's indeed rishabam.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks Vel for the videos. I think these videos have been around the web. Remember watching them somewhere or may be at tfmpage.

I am only curious.

Raja in non purist platform allowed to use swarams anyway he wants, he has the musical might and imagination too which is blessing for us. Raja = Music

He never claims I delivered 4 pahadies, 5 behags with some flute counterpoints etc..

We are only awe struck by his ideas.

en kanavinai kel nanba.... is fantastic composition with outstanding orchestration, wonderful job by Cheran too.

please continue.... on awesome tunes

vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 18th January 2012 at 10:44 PM.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    'Bagyadevatha' appeared in 2009? I think so. This is one outstanding beauty from that film. Everything about this song carries a stamp of class. The tune, the orchestration, the chorus, the singers. As I said, everything A very heart warming melody.

Now comes the question, which ragam is this based on. I thought it was probably 'Pahadi'. I remember vaguely thumburu also saying the same when this movie was released. ( I could be wrong here.) Some places I do hear Pahadi but some of my friends who are into Hindustani music say that this is not 'Pahadi' and as usual they can't tell me what raga it is. Not that we will enjoy this beauty any less but will be nice to see the analysis.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    swapnangal kannezhuthiya.... gives pahadi feel.

Indian cinema has given some mighty pahadies.

enakkum onnum illai pesarathukku indha paadalil....

you continue...
    As a family we liked the movie. Of course, Sathyan anthikkad's simple, homely movie with no out of control drama acting. Simple acting.
    Nice picturisation of this song.
    Sathyan with Jayaram, his mother role is a good one. kanika was good too.

IC- 2009 gave some good movies like 3 idiots, Vennila kabadi kuzhoo etc..

Vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 19th January 2012 at 12:43 AM.

Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast