Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: New age IR's Raga Choices

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plum,

Even I am confused sometimes. People think I will definitely know a 80s song and I would have never heard it. On the other hand, people think I would never have heard some song and I would heard it!!! The 'vazhkai odam sella' is a song which I have heard, courtesy Sun Music. I think they screened it a couple of times. It is not Desh ragam but a lovely song indeed.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    One ragam which Raja used in the 2000s and produced an all time classic is Rasikaranjani. The first of his Rasikaranjani must have come in 'Kovil Pura', the certified classic, 'amudhe tamizhe'. He also tune that superb 'neelakuyile' in this ragam. Songs which will be hard to match but Raja just does that in 2000s.

When Raja was called to tune the poems of the great Subramanya Bharathi's biopic, everyone expected that all tunes will be for the poems of Bharathi. While most of the songs were tunes set to Bharathi's poem, two songs had words of other lyricists to the tune set by Raja. One of the songs, 'mayil pola pennu onnu' would win its singer Bhavatharini the National Award for the best singer, much to the chagrin of those who hate her voice (and there are many of them.) The other song was probably the best song of the album. Madhu Balakrishnan debuted for Raja with this gem. Maybe because he was called to write the lyrics for a film dedicated to Bharathi, lyricist Pulamapithan surpasses himself. A excellent combination of top class lyrics, an excellent tune, superb orchestration and nice singing, make this an all time classic. A song the ragam Rasikaranjani will be proud of "edhilum engum iruppaan avan yaaro" from Bharathi

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...8'&lang=en

Observe the pace he sets up. Unlike 'amudhe tamizhe' and 'neela kuyile' which have a strong rhythmic component, here the pallavi is driven by melody, starting right from Madhu's humming. The interludes also keep this leisurely pace. In the charanam this leisureliness is accentuated but towards the end, he does his typical speeding up before joining the pallavi. A song which I can safely predict will be an all time classic.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh, my favourite from that album. One of the reasons for my soft corner for Madhu B, despite him being Sreesanth's brother-in-law

Post Thanks / Like
    As we all know Raja is fair to all rasikas. So if he created an outstanding song in Rasikaranjani ("Edhilum engum"), he has to create an equally charming song in Rasikapriya isn't it? So up comes an outstanding song which many of her fans felt should have fetched Shreya Ghoshal ("indha rasikargale ippadi dhaan boss"). An excellent pathos song, sung with lot of feeling by Shreya, leading to lot of pheelings from her fans when she didn't get the NA and lot more pheelings from Raja fans when Bala did not use the song in the film!!! For someone like me tuned to Raja's voice, it is very difficult for a song to sound better in another singer's voice once it is sung by Raja. In this case though Shreya's version is the one I love.

The song oozes pathos and would have been very apt in the movie. The violin in the first interlude and the beat which simulates the whipping of a blind girl, excellent. In the interlude Raja does something he seems to like doing with Rasikapriya. Do a grahabedham on this ragam and obtain Mayamalavagowla. So in the first interlude the violins seamlessly shift into Mayamalavagowla from Rasikapriya and equally seamlessly return back to Rasikapriya. (Been a while since I listened to it but I think Raja probably does this scale shift in 'sangeethame' (Kovil Pura) as well.) The lyrics (Vaali?) are very apt for the film situation. Again a song to which I will easy put the stamp of timeless classic.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...9'&lang=en

Raja had used Raskikapriya an year earlier. 'Naan Kadavul' was a 2009 film whereas 'Uliyin Osai' was a 2008 film. Here Raja uses it for what seems to be a song by the hero teaching the heroine/vamp (nowadays anyway no difference) how to dance. Has some nice prose spoken piece by Raja. In this song also Raja uses the scale shift to get to Mayamalavagowla from Rasikapriya. The only difference is that in the first charanam after he goes to Mayamalvagowla he continues the charanam in Mayalavagowla and return back to Rasikaranjani only when he gets back to Pallavi. The second charanam is fully in Mayamalavagowla. Superb song and well sung by Sriram Parthasarathy.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...4'&lang=en

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are bent on making me go on a trip or what? Don't remind me of Kannil Paarvai please....innum oru vArathukku mood out guaranteed...good job that my family is not with me right now. kozhandhai

Post Thanks / Like
    Plum,

When I mentioned Shreya fans being unhappy with her not getting a NA for this, I had only one fan in mind

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was enjoying VAIDHEGI KAATHIRUNDHAL.

AZHAGU MALAR AADA.....CHANDRAKOUNS.

Last time same rag came from Raja by early 2003

KONJI PESALAM......TIPPU's idhuvarai naan....

http://www.raaga.com/player4/?id=130...69394986745701

vinatha

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65 View Post
    Plum,

When I mentioned Shreya fans being unhappy with her not getting a NA for this, I had only one fan in mind
    count me as well - I was almost sure that she would!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carnatic Music in Tamil Film Songs http://www.scribd.com/doc/8693253/Ca...layaraja-Films #Ilayaraja via @aayilyan
    Vishwaroopam is a 220+ Crores Record breaking Blockbuster!
    https://twitter.com/KamalHaasanFans

Uttama Villain Reviews Collection - http://goo.gl/MSBVxv

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    what a blinder of a song -- great singing by HH --

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast