Page 93 of 116 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast

Thread: IlayaRaja's New Albums 2013-15 - Mahendran film/Thaarai thappattai/Mythri

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SVN View Post
    In the latest sleeper hit film, "Cuckoo", I heard that the visually challenged hero only sings Ilaiyaraja songs. Has anyone seen the movie? I am curious to know if the MD Santhosh Narayanan given it a fresh treatment or has he done work similar to that of J. Vasanthan in Subramaniapuram, which had complete songs of IR in many sequences?
    In the movie Cuckoo, Thamizh, played by Dinesh, is a visually impaired, who is a part of a band that sings & entertains people gathered for an occassion, be it marriage or social gathering. Thamizh is famous, as his voice resembles a lot with IR's and he goes by the name "Junior IR" in the band and amoung the crowd. The audiences go wild when he is on stage attempting a famous IR song. IR songs used are not tampered with and thanks to Santosh Narayanan to have re-recorded them without loosing the classic-cult sounds. The songs those which cross in the movie are :

Antha Nilava thaan Kaiyula Pudichen
    Peen Manasu Azhaminu
    Athadi Pavada Kathada
    Idhayam oru Koil

Even the Song Lyrics, from my favorite song of the album "Potta Pulla" mentions IR :

Ethanayo mettugalil Ilayaraja yennai thottathupol thottuvittal Azhagu Roja

Here is the review of the Film : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...=1#post1122580

Here is a take on the Songs & its compositor Santosh Narayanan : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...=1#post1114800
    Last edited by mappi; 31st March 2014 at 09:59 PM.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by krish244 View Post
    Mappi, is there any fresh news that this movie is releasing this year? What an idea to put "this winter" in trailer! It is applicable for any year . I am really curious about this movie and IR's BGM and songs. Bad that it is not yet released
    Happi (hindi title : Awasthi) by Bhavna Talwar (2007 National Award winner for her work 'Dharm' which was also screened at Cannes 2007), Happi went on floors around 2010, and the real shooting supposedly started happening somewhere then, targetting a 2011 release. But nothing was talked about of the film and it again surfaced with a teaser (that you saw) early 2012. Its very difficult to follow this movie as there is no updates from the production house and I hope they release it this summer.

Actually IR had scored the BGM with 20 Chennai based violinists and 4 Budapest artists who handled the wind instruments. There are 4 songs and if I follow correctly those are the only words in the movie, as basically its a Silent B/w film. The music style is Western Classical Film Music of 60s & 70s - Bhavna Talwar says "Raja sir has done a fantastic interpretation of that music (sounds) with/in a modern context."

Trailer Music Composition : Note the opening of the song, it starts exactly like "Putham Puthu Kalai".
    Last edited by mappi; 31st March 2014 at 09:58 PM.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    First impressions on Oggarane

Galiya Mathali & Manadi Belagaayite are standard new age IR stuff.

Bareyada is a slow and serene composition, with less synth usage. Rather subdued song with some pleasing guitar interludes. (I'm curious to see the picturisation.)

That brings us to the best song of the album: 'e janumave'. Starts like 'Oranjaaram' (as Krish said) with almost identical beats, and Kailash kher enters with his not-so-soothing vocals. Not a very positive start, but be patient and listen thru the whole song. Both IR & him win you over eventually. The tune is definitely lovable with vintage IR flow and all. Looks like Kailash kher got enough freedom to improvise and he has made best use of it. Just see how he suddenly changes tune and ends the song. There are many such variations throughout the song. Top of this off with orchestration that is totally dynamic and keeps throwing surprises at you all thru..! This song is a winner for me. I have been humming it since yesterday. But don't go to this song expecting another 'mandram vandha thendralukku'. It has to be enjoyed differently.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ulavacharu Biryani பாடல் வெளியீட்டின்போது ராஜா பேசியது. ரொம்ப அழகாக, ஒரு பாடலை உள்வாங்கி வேறொரு பாடலைப் படைப்பதற்கும், ஒரு பாடலை அப்படியே நகலெடுப்பதற்கும் உள்ள வித்தியாசத்தை சொல்லியிருக்கிறார். இதே செய்தியை முன்னரே சிங்கப்பூரில் நடந்த இசைக் கச்சேரியும் சொல்லியிருகிக்கிறார்.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    venkkiram'ji,
    I was able to make out what he meant by imitation etc, but the last part on 2 songs in the movie he was referring to Prakash raj - couldn't understand. What is it, please?

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Karthik.S for the links.
    Listened only to the telugu version. Preferred sundhara telungu to a hardu kannada.

Kailash kher’s unconventional voice lends a totally different hue , never heard before in IR’s music . Amazing how the choice of singers can influence even Raja’s wall. Loved the captivating second interludes . The duets are quite unimpressive and somehow give me an overpowering déjà vu feel of those contrived songs during 2006-2010 times with the weak synth pad rhythms. Raja can consider retiring Ramya. Even Sharath’s serene song could have got some expansive, vivid interludes as there is a good amount of scope. IR could have even axed those duets to give more space to Sharath number.

En janmame gives a retro feel and inadvertently I end up in “tere mere Milan ki ye raina” and “chinnan chiru kiLiyE parandhu vidaadhE”.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dochu View Post
    venkkiram'ji,
    I was able to make out what he meant by imitation etc, but the last part on 2 songs in the movie he was referring to Prakash raj - couldn't understand. What is it, please?
    Any telegu speaking friends here, please translate in English what Raja speaking. Thanks.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dochu & Venkkiram,

Raja says "2 songs in this film are quite unique. There hasn't been an attempt like that before or won't be one in future". Then he adds 'who knows, similar songs might come up in future'.

Out of the 2 songs, one is definitely that Kailash Kher song (Ee janmame). Not sure what other one is. All 3 seem unique to me. May be "Teeyaga teeyaga".

10. Thanks mappi thanked for this post
    Senior Member Veteran Hubber Hulkster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 2 unique songs could be Ee janmame and Raayaleni Lekhane. Raayaleni Lekhane minus the tune is something i have rarely heard from thalaivar, especially the way he uses the guitar in the interlude and the postlude.

One thing i notice about this album is the instrumentation and the rhythm pattern. An example is the Teeyaga Teeyaga song where the rhythm (RnB?) that accompanies the song throughout is so different from the interludes which are western classical yet they somehow fit together.

The ludes of thelisee theliyandila are magnificent with the saxophone and electric guitar usage and the song's rhythm keeps on changing that it just keeps me glued to it. Somehow despite the tunes having a slight dejavu effect, the rhythm is so innovative that i cant just help listening to it again and again.
    Last edited by Hulkster; 5th April 2014 at 08:31 AM.

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Kailash Kher track is superb. Not overwhelmed by the rest but all nice tracks.

Page 93 of 116 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast