Page 1 of 116 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: IlayaRaja's New Albums 2013-15 - Mahendran film/Thaarai thappattai/Mythri

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

IlayaRaja's New Albums 2013-15 - Mahendran film/Thaarai thappattai/Mythri

Given that the other thread has become too big and that Plum has appointed me to open this thread, here it is. Post all details about Raja's New Albums 2012 here.

(Here's the old 2011 albums thread)
    Last edited by RR; 3rd January 2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Edited first post

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dhoni is a February release, we can expect audio soon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Before we start putting in info regarding the forthcoming releases, let us do a quick appraisal of Raja's 2011 works.

2010 was not a great year for Raja fans. Only three albums were released: "Gayam-2", "Kadha Thudarunnu" and the non filmi devotional 'Baba Pugazh Maalai'. Fellow hubbers like Plum were concerned if 2009, when the output was prolific, was an Indian summer. The last good season before the master signs off. Luckily nothing like that happened and 2011 showed the master is terrific form.

The first film music release did not give that hope. The music of 'Ayyan' did not sound very enticing and had a dated feel to it. It was clear that the music was composed quite some time back and did not reflect the new 'sound' of Raja. 'manasoram' was a song which everyone agreed was good. Other songs didn't find favor with Raja fans though I did like a few more songs from this album.

'Azhagarswamiyin Kudhirai' came to assuage the feelings of the fans. It had three songs, one of which was a 'Thiruvizha' song. 'kudhikira kudhikira' was definitely the hit song of the film. The Karthik Shreya Ghoshal number was melodious as well. More importantly this film also showcased the fact that Raja was till the numero uno when in came to background score. The jazz tinged score was terrific and played a great part in the success of the movie.

If ASK was sedate, 'Ponnar Shankar' was bombastic. The synth was heavy but the melodic lines were terrific. 'kannai padithen' and 'malarvillile' were top class melodies. 'Annanmar Kadhai' again showed why there is none to beat Raja when it comes to folk songs and stories. It was Shreya Ghoshal show all the way and that made her fans happy. Unfortunately, as it happens to all Kalaignar movies, this sank without a trace.

Next came 'Sengaathu Bhoomiyile' which did not create any ripples even amongst Raja fans. Not many knew of this movie songs and the CD release was mess, with the availability almost being zero!! Yet, I found the album quite charming, Raja going back to his 'Ejaman' and 'Chinna Kounder' days. 'kaathuruppen kaathiruppen' was the pick of this album.

While people were waiting for movies like 'Sneha Veedu' and 'SreeRamarajyam', out of the blue came 'Thandavakone'. What an extraordinary album, especially for 'neeraal udal kazhuvi'. This was an absolutely new Raja. The dark and sombre ambiance he creates for this song is mind blowing. Raja has never been an 'atmospheric' guy. He has mainly concentrated on the complete tune for his emotions. Here though he deviates from his path and goes full hog to create the required atmosphere through orchestration. This movie also had another lovely song,'kaatu vazhi'. Unfortunately neither this movie nor 'Sengaathu Bhoomiyile' have been released till now!!

Somewhere in between came the Kannada movie 'Hare Rama Hare Krishna'. Neither the movie nor the music got noticed. 'angel angel' was a lovely song and I liked the title track as well. But the general public sort of completely ignored the album.

The last two albums in my next post.
    Last edited by Sureshs65; 2nd January 2012 at 02:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The most eagerly awaited album was "SreeRamaRajyam' and those who were fans of Raja - Sathyan combination were looking forward to 'Senhaveedu'. Both of them provided immense joy to his fans.

'SreeRamaRajyam' was a knockout album. It was high in quantity and quality. It had 14 songs and each one was a gem. The highlights being 'Jagadananda Kaaraka' (SB-Shreya), 'SreeRama Lera'(Sriram P and Shreya), 'Ramayanamu' (Chitra-Shreya), 'Seeta Seemanthamu' (Shreya), 'Kalaya Nijama'(a very effective Tippu), 'gaali ningi neeru' (SPB). More importantly the background score was something to die for. The way Raja was able to convey the emotions made it look like Balayya and Nayan were greater actors than they actually were. Even more importantly, the film was a big hit and the music was appreciated by all.

Then came 'Snehaveedu'. When Raja and Sathyan combine together, magic is bound to happen. Sathyan seems to have told Raja that he only wanted melodic numbers and Raja must have been more than happy to oblige. All the four songs were top class. Not a note out of place. The melody and arrangements stunning. 'chandrabimbathin' was the easy winner. 'avanaithumbi' and 'amurthamaayi' were heard a lot. To me the song of the album was 'chenkathir kaiyum vessi'. What an excellent way to finish the year. Ensuring everyone knows that there is lot more left in this man. Now looking eagerly to 2012.

Post Thanks / Like
    So here are some quick award categories. (Ofcourse the award is listening to the songs itself )

Best Album: SreeRamaRajyam (For the sheer numbers and their quality. 'Snehaveedu' comes a close second)
    Best Song: 'chengadhir' ('SnehaVeedu') I am sure many will not agree. So pliss to give your favorite
    Most stunning song: 'neeraal udal kazhuvi'
    Most underrated/unheard good song: 'kathirundhen kaathirundhen' ('Sengathu Bhoomiyile')
    Music Releases that weren't: 'Padithurai' and 'Happi'
    Best BGM: ASK and SreeRamaRajyam (haven't seen 'Snehaveedu')
    Film Released but No Music situation: "Hello Jai Hind" (Thanks raagas for reminding me of this)
    Last edited by Sureshs65; 2nd January 2012 at 02:51 PM.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh - - both for a classy wrap-up of 2011, and a deserved honour of starting the 2012 thread. I didn't appoint, btw. I merely proposed, which is about where I get off on this site . Anyway, I believe truly in qualification and discrimination based on merit. On that count, you were the unquestionable pillar of the previous thread, outposting the next poster(guess who?) 353-141. And unlike me, you really don't post unless you have something solid to say so that's atleast 300 worthy posts, even if you discount around 50 as short responses to other posts. With dedicated CD buying of new albums, and long detailed reviews of every new album, I think you have earned this honour. Left to myself, I'd even propose you as moderator for the forum since you have an even temparament to deal with snarly mischief makers as well. Anyway, continue your Raja service here. With app and v-s running the other two threads, this is the sort of atmosphere that keeps me addicted to this forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    I suppose I am overly biased towards Sri Rama Rajyam so take my choices with a bucket of salt:**BEST ALBUM: Sri Rama Rajyam *** BEST Singers: SPB/Chitra/Shreya for SRR/Snehaveedu ****Best upcoming Singers: Anita/Keertana for Sita Rama Charitam

Post Thanks / Like
    Best Song: it's between Sri Rama lera and Avani thumbi. Sriram Partha brings down the former a notch so will go with the Shreya delight in Snehaveedu. Best Shortie: kalaya nijamaa. Can't get enough - feel cheated out of a longer version.

Senior Member Senior Hubber raagas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was a good summary by Suresh! I think Suresh was excited to write the post. The typos say them all. It is Manasoram. And it was Kannai Padithen, from Ponnar shankar

I am with Suresh (and Plum). Best song, for me, is Sri rama lera!

and Music releases that werent should include Marathi film "Jai Hind" as well.
    Just 7 notes behold a beauty of life...

Post Thanks / Like
    Raagas, any guess who was the runner-up in the previous new albums thread with 141 posts to Suresh's 353?

Page 1 of 116 1231151101 ... LastLast