Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Raja - Live in Concerts - Madurai Concert Telecast/Videos

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Endrendum Raaja -- Jaya TV -- Part 1

BY Vels MP (our own Vel)

The opening teaser (documentary) on Raaja was just awesome ! Now i will list the somgs one by one.....
    1) Janani Janani - Thaai Mookambikai - how many times i have heard this one, i have lost count....but when the master sat down to sing this, and as the charanams rolled by, there i was, all in tears. It touched me deep down in my soul....that first song was worth the Rs.750 i paid. Rest all was a bonus !!

2) Amma Endrazhaikaadha - Mannan -- Raaja had the audience in splits when he stressed that both he and KJY loved Amma -- and Raaja clarified jokingly on which Amma he meant , by pointing to the sky and stressed again on the word ""Ämma" -- ha ha haa. About the song, I just cannot believe KJY sang the charanams (wrongly) in his own tune. This is the first of the many other slips he would make in the show later.

3) Naanaga Naanillai - Thoongathe Thambi Thoongathe - SPB -- that ice cream voice that you can die for. Awesome shenai play and the orchestra was excellent. Shenai, flute, veenai/sitar wow wow .....

4) ( a) What is a symphony – a mini lecture and demo – Raaja summarized that a symphony is like multiple poems being recited parallely ! He conducted a mini symphony like he was a a man possessed and then went on to say this Schubert’s symphony was his inspiration to compose Idhayam pogudhaey

4) Idhayam Pogudhey - Pudhiya Vaarpugal (heart sliced into two) – the above symphony and this song merged into one and this number (sung briefly) was elevated in its effect when Maestro sung in his own voice

5) Paruvame - Nenjathai Killathe – Raaja recollected how they tried different things to get the foottap/jogging sound...the man who actually did the tapping on his thighs was then introduced....SPB was a killer in this song...he sang it to 200% perfection ! the interludes by the stunning orchestra was something out of the world !

6) Idhayam Oru Kovil - Idhaya Kovil – scintillating orchestra and in the masters commanding voice....when he pointed to the audience while singing,””enadhu jeevan needhan endrum pudhidhu” the audience exploded to a thunderous response! Man, he knows how to connect to the crowd !!

7) Nee Paartha Paarvai - Hey Ram – Raaja played the piano in some portions ...it was a great sight as the camera zoomed on his effortless movements over the piano keys....Hariharan missed the tempo and then corrected himself....surprising how he cannot get wrong such an acclaimed hit song of his own voice!!

8) En Iniya Pon Nilave – Moodupani – KJY sang this with lot of attitude & energy...powerful performances by the orchestra, and was a musical feast !!

9) Kanmaniye Kadhal - Aarilirundhu Aruvadhuvarai – I recollect a old Raaja interview where he says even before mannil indha kaadhal, he had composed breathless numbers (continuous singing is needed) – at this age, SPB sang this song with awesome breath control.

10) Aayiram Malargale - Niram Maaratha Pookal – i think karthik iyer sang this song with anitha and priya...this guy karthik had a great bass voice (of course Malaysia is still miles ahead), and could be an alternative better choice for new songs that Raaja generally gives to Tippu. Karthik sung it to near perfection ! Orchestra was bang on target, as was the case with all the songs!

11) Putham Pudhu Kaalai - Alaigal Oyvathillai – just the prelude had the audience go mad....the flute, the strings...the fine guitar lines....electric listening pleasure this song. How i wish Janaki to have been a part of this show....the second interlude strings work.....heavenly.

12) Chinna Kannan Azhaikiraan - Kavikkuyil (from the King himself BMK) – BMK hugged Raaja and SPB fondly....he appreciated Raaja for his pudhumai, thiramai etc, and then said because this china kannan called me, i have come here (china kannan he pointed was our raja)...at this age, BMK sang this song as good as the old one...the way he sang “rahasiya”in a hushed voice was nice...a reethigowlai raga treasure for us to cherish for ever !

13) Vizhiyile Malarndhadhu - Bhuvana Oru Kelvikuri – strings strings strings....a look at the way this song is taxing on the violin musicians will let us understand why they call Raaja the music raatshasan......the other instruments did their jobs very nicely...bad the screen didn’t show Sada sir playing the opening guitar lines (or did i miss it ??) Anyways, Sada didn’t get enough screen space i would say !

14) Poove Sempoove - Solla Thudikkidhu Manasu – if vizhiyilae malarndhadhu taxed the violin players, this one was many times tougher...and as if this were not enough, KJY missed the timing and he didn’t start the charanam at the right time he had to. This happened 3 times before he got it right. The audience made loud noise alerting that KJY was picking the charanams at the wrong place....But this incident was a blessing in disguise as we all got the orchestra to repeat that strings bit again and again !

15) Oru Jeevan Azhaithathu – Geethanjali – In the charanams, the original lines are
    “kamangal ondre en kaadhal alla kandene unnai thaayaaga”... Raaja beautifully generalized this as a common feeling to all woman – he sings ,”kamangal ondre en kaadhal all, kanaene pennai thaiyaaga” – that was proof he was not merely perfoming, but actually expressing himself to the audience. He did something similar while singing some raw lines in ándha nilava than kaiyila pudichen’during the one man show.

Let me take a breather...rest in part II

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber Devaraagam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Narayanan, kodi punniyam for you to explain the event like this..
    Music Unities Everyone

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Wow!Wow!

Songs list is a dynamite!

Jaya TV,

Superb job, please release in quality DVD with working songs selection option.

oh... 2 notes composition panninaaraa!

adhaan Rajanna Rajadhaan!

Yesterday I was talking about this 2 notes composition while we were watching TINTIN, a friend told me about the music piece in JAWS by John Williams.

Thank you all for the update, will enjoy one by one during this holidays.

Vinatha.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent writeup by Vel. By a sudden twist I ended up in Chennai instead of going to Kerala and was lucky to attend the program. I am waiting for Vel to put up his part 2 soon.

This is for venkiram. 'Ayiram Malargale' did have Malaysia's voice and Raja specifically dedicated that song to Malaysia Vasudevan.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    சுரேஷ், சுட்டிக் காட்டலுக்கு நன்றி. நாராயணனின் பதிவில் பத்தாவது பாடலாக ஆயிரம் மலர்களே பாடல் இடம்பெற்றதை படித்தபோதே உணர்ந்தேன்.

Raja specifically dedicated that song to Malaysia Vasudevan
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I posted it in the another. Posting here to keep all comments in one place.

Met SKR yesterday (To be honest he came a long way around to meet me. Thanks for that.) Could not meet KV as he was sitting on the opposite side to me. Also met Usha and Shankar. I went with Rajasaranam and Eagle. The concert was superb. It had it failings in terms of singers not up to mark or making mistakes but overall it was a terrific show. They have put in extraordinary effort for this show and it showed. (Pardon the unintended pun.)

The orchestra was terrific and the song selection was a surprise. My friends were of the opinion that many 90s popular songs would be sung. They didn't have much hope on early 80s. And 70s was unimaginable. But they were in for a terrific surprise. After the mandatory 'Janani Janani' and 'Amma Enrazhaikkaadha' came the first surprise. No one expected 'Naanaga Naanillai' and it saw SPB sing it with gusto. After a brief 'Idhyam Pogudhe' came 'Paruvame'. Again a song people didn't expect in this program. 'en iniya pon nilave' was the next surprise, though some were expecting it based on some leaked clip. Then came 'Kanmaniye Kadhal Enbadhu' followed by 'Ayiram Malargale Malarungal' which had hubber 'Eagle' exclaim ecstatically "Wow, what song selection". And when 'Putham Pudhu Kaalai', 'Chinna Kannan azhaikkiraan', 'Vizhiyile Malarndhadhu' followed, his cup was spilling over and he commented, "Someone seems to have accessed the songs I listen to at night and made this playlist!!!" For me the most unexpected song was 'Oru Raagam Paadalodu'. It is a favorite song of mine but I would never have dreamt that they would have included it in this program. But include they did.

I personally feel that they did a good job in the way they structured the playlist. The more unexpected songs happened in the first half and in the later half, when people would be more tired, they included most of the tried and tested songs, 'sundari kannaal', 'madai thirandhu', 'ilangkaathu veesudhe' etc. That ensured the audience attention was kept intact upto midnight.

Coming to the inclusion of 'en mana vaanil' song, I too was of the same opinion as Plum. A friend sitting next to me remarked, 'this is a S A Rajkumar tune'. Eagle wasn't impressed and said, "no way. this has lot of work". It was only during the interludes and when Hariharan started singing the charanams I noticed what a remarkable song it was. I have never given it any time of the day and have always thought it was mediocre song but I now changed my opinion. The way the tune moves in the charanams and the energy the tune carries are amazing. And as Eagle perinently pointed out, "This song is supposed to be sung by a blind poor man. Not by some sophisticated fellow". With this background the song makes perfect sense.

All the while I was thinking of our fellows hubbers, especially app_eng and V_S as the songs featured are their favorite ones. I am sure they would have thoroughly enjoyed the program.

From my side, I wish there were a couple of more songs from the 2000s. 'Virumandi', 'Mumbai Express', 'Naan Kadavul' could have been my choices but given that 5 hrs is just too short for inclusion of everyones favorite, I think Subhasree and Jaya TV folks did a terrific job. Kudos to them for having the confidence in Raja fans and going ahead and choosing some lovely songs and not peppering the program with speeches or trying to fit in 'peppy' numbers.

Overall an excellent experience. Will probably write more about the experience in my blog soon.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    இளையராஜா நிகழ்ச்சி - அந்த பக்கமே வராத நடிகர்கள்

இசைஞானி இளையராஜாவின் ஹிட்டுகளுக்கும் மெட்டுகளுக்கும் அடிமையாகிக் கிடப்பது கோடிக்கணக்கான மக்கள் மட்டுமல்ல, அநேக பத்திரிகையாளர்களும் கூடதான். கடந்த சில தினங்களுக்கு முன் ஜெயா டி.வி சார்பாக நடந்த அவரது பிரஸ்மீட்டில் ராஜாவின் 'என்றென்றும் ராஜா' நிகழ்ச்சி குறித்து நிறைய பேசப்பட்டது. ஆர்வமிக்க ஒரு நிருபர் எழுந்து, 'ராஜா சார். உங்க கூட போட்டோ எடுத்துக்கணும்னு பலருக்கும் ஆசை இருக்கு. அதுக்கு நீங்க அனுமதிக்கணும்' என்றார். அந்தளவுக்கு அவர் மீது அன்பும் மரியாதையும் வைத்திருக்கும் இவர்கள், குறிப்பிட்ட நிகழ்ச்சிக்கு அழைப்பு வரும் என்று காத்திருந்து காத்திருந்து காது சோர்ந்ததுதான் மிச்சம். கடைசி நிமிடம் வரைக்கும் 'அது' வந்து சேரவே இல்லை.

சரி... என்னதான் நடந்தது விழாவில்? நேற்று வந்த மும்பை, கேரள நடிகைகள் கூட எனக்கு ராஜா சார் பாட்டுன்னா உயிர் என்று பேட்டியளித்திருக்கிறார்கள். ஆனால் இந்த விழாவில் ஒரு நடிகையின் தலையை கூட காண முடியவில்லை. நடிகர்கள் இன்னும் மோசம். ராஜாவின் இசையால் வாழ்ந்த பழைய நடிகர்கள் கூட யாரும் இல்லை அங்கே. அவ்வளவு வெறுமையிலும் பசுமையாக கண்ணுக்கு தெரிந்தவர் விவேக் மட்டும்தான். முந்தைய நாளே தனக்கான டிக்கெட்டை கேட்டு வாங்கி வைத்திருந்தாராம்.

இந்த நிகழ்ச்சிக்கு எப்படியாவது எனக்கு டிக்கெட் வேணும் என்று போராடி வாங்கிய பிரபல இசையமைப்பாளர் விஜய் ஆன்ட்டனி, தேவி ஸ்ரீ பிரசாத் ஆகியோரை இந்த நேரத்தில் பாராட்டிதான் ஆக வேண்டும்.

இன்னொரு நல்ல தகவலும் நம் காதுக்கு வந்தது. இந்த நிகழ்ச்சியை அப்படியே வீட்டில் இருந்தபடியே ரசித்தாராம் தமிழக முதல்வர் ஜெ. இவருக்கு மட்டும் ஸ்பெஷலாக இந்த நிகழ்ச்சியை லைவ் செய்திருந்ததாம் ஜெயா.டி.வி நிர்வாகம்.
    விவேக், விஜய் ஆன்ட்டனி, தேவி ஸ்ரீ பிரசாத், தமிழக முதல்வர் ஜெ(?)
    Vishwaroopam is a 220+ Crores Record breaking Blockbuster!
    https://twitter.com/KamalHaasanFans

Uttama Villain Reviews Collection - http://goo.gl/MSBVxv

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like CM is an IR fan

Senior Member Diamond Hubber sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jaya TV pona murai 2005 la pannappavum ithe maathiri paathathaaga news vanthuchi. appo 'gumbal' aa sernthu paathirppaanga. ippo thaniya paathu iruppaanga. Friendship song Kaattukkuyilu kekkumbothu light aa mercelaagi iruppaanga
    Vishwaroopam is a 220+ Crores Record breaking Blockbuster!
    https://twitter.com/KamalHaasanFans

Uttama Villain Reviews Collection - http://goo.gl/MSBVxv

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sureshji,
    Thanks a lot for writing a detail review of the programme. So very kind of you for remembering us during the show, can't thank you enough for this. . My sincere appreciation and thanks. Yes every song is our favorite and nice selection of songs, including some rare and uncommon songs for the show. Definitely felt like sitting among you all and enjoyed this scintillating show. Waiting for the telecast.

Thanks Vel, Narayanan and everyone for writing in detail about the show and making us forget that we are not left alone.

Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast