Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Raja - Live in Concerts - Madurai Concert Telecast/Videos

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    இரண்டாம் தொகுப்பின் கடைசிப் பாடலாக வரும் "என் இனிய பொன் நிலாவே!".. யேசுதாசின் துள்ளல், குதூகலம், ஆற்றல்... பிரமிக்க வைக்கிறது. நான் இந்த அளவுக்கு அவர் பாட்டோடு கலந்துவிடுவார் என எதிர்பார்க்கவேயில்லை. "கனாவே.." என பல்லவியின் கடைசிவரியை அவர் முடிக்கும் விதம் அட்டகாசம். அசலை அப்படியே கொண்டு வரணும் என்ற எதிர்பார்ப்பு எல்லாம் இல்லை. இந்த அளவுக்கு பாடலின் உணர்வோடு கலந்தாலே போதும்! வேறு என்ன பெரிசா வேணும்? பெண்கள் கோரஸ் கூடுதல் பலம். சபாஷ் சதா! சிறப்பா செய்திருக்காங்க.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    he was referrring to see his hand while conducting........i think. "see the kai" with an anglicised accent...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    Super post V_Sji as usual

Not sure why, the crowd did not recognize the song until 10-15 secs.
    Nerd,

That was because everyone was sure 'oliyile therivadhu' would be played since Prakash Raj had spoken about the new generation and Karthik had come on stage. So it was decided by all of us that 'oliyile' will be the song which will be played and we were waiting for that song's prelude. The prelude which came up was different and we were confused. Hence that 10 or 15 secs delay before the applause rent the air. I still remember my friend sitting next to me, identifying it first and shouting,"dei, edho mogam da idhu".

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    V_Sji, there you go again!

One fact that stood out crystal clear in this concert is that though the legends (IR, SPB, KJY, BMK and SPC) might have passed their peak performance phase/age, stepping into the sunsetting zone, the amount of practice over all these years packs the gas in them to pin down the new-age singers, who were just a patch on the former. Gladly, and thankfully, a majoriy of the songs were sung by seniors. But this surely was bound to exhaust them, and that, I'm guessing, is the reason behind SPB sounding a little tired. Of the new singers, Surmukhi gets my vote too, very promising.

Another aspect is the respect given to a composition's emotions and grammar over demonstration of technicality. SPB, Chitra, and to a good extent, KJY, stand testimony to this. It's not like as though they aren't capable of doing vocal gymnastics. It's their choice to adhere to the composer's vision and thereby keeping the emotions and grammar of the songs intact. SPB incorporated one, just one extra aalap in Sundari (that had IR reacting with a puzzled, but bright smile) and after finishing the song, announced that he'd taken IR permission before-hand (And I think he hugged IR after that). Speak of bequeathing ego and respecting the composer, it doesn't get better than this! . Compare this with Hariharan and Sriram Parthasarathy and their attitude to live performances. Demonstration of one's technicality is perfectly agreeable in a live show, but doing it at the cost of the composition's beauty? HH, in my books, has totally forgotten his originals. He tries to cover this up with his slieght-of-the-hand like technical gimmickry, which most of the time appears like the singer equivalent of a contortionist. His pitching and thaalam were abysmal in Nee Partha paarvai and it took a while before he settled down into the actual song. IR, who, I thought, should've been seething with anger, was kind enough to say some nice things about HH, and even asked him to do a small aalaap for the KAsi song. Ditto with Sriram who tried to do some hey-look-at-my-singing-talent-ya in Elangaathu veesudhe and almost totally missed the laidback, blow-in-the-breeze feel of the original.
    Avanga avanga dhaan, neenga neenga dhaan.
    Last edited by KV; 17th January 2012 at 11:46 AM.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    KV, - I also noticed that, for some reason, Raja seems to have huge respect for Hariharan. His body language towards hari is *more respectful* than the one towards Jesu aNNA and Balu. Maybe because of Hari's prowess in another form of music that isn't IR's first suit - hindustani, ghazals. Familiarity breeds contempt, unfamiliarity holds respect-ngaRadhu idhu dhaan...

Post Thanks / Like
    And yes, Sriram Parthan - :contempt: :baed-weards:

Post Thanks / Like
    Same goes for Rita female. She sounds good in Idhu oru nilaa kaalam only because the original singer was no great shakes herself. Nee booze irukkudhOda niRuthiikammA...

Post Thanks / Like
    Missing Shreya kuzhandhai, yes but even granting that she is too busy, I missed Manjari from the 05 concert. She isn't Shreya, yes, but much competent than the young female singers in this concert. Edho mogam, Idhu oru nilaa kaalam all suitable for her...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could someone get me the link to KH-IR lovefest?
    ...an artist without an art.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber wizzy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    HH's guru Ghulam Mustafa Khan might be a factor..Swamigal had earlier acknowledged the rigorous training one has to go through to be his disciple
    Gaana Kalaadhara Gandharva Gaana Lola Kaliyuga Gaana Thilaga
    Nadha Brahma Kochchappa Brother Seshappa

Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast