Thread: Absence of /kha/, /ga/, /gha/, /cha/, /tha/, etc, signs in T

Threaded View

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Absence of /kha/, /ga/, /gha/, /cha/, /tha/, etc, signs in T

Topic started by p~n (@ bgp385601bgs.jersyc01.nj.comcast.net) on Thu May 1 21:20:37 .

Tamil doesn't have signs for /kha/, /ga/, /gha/, /cha/, /jha/, /da/, /dha/, /tha/, /pha/, /ba/, /bha/ (I haven't included everything, there's more) that is found in most other Indian languages - Telugu, Malayalam, Hindi, Bengali etc. The same letter takes diff sounds in various positions, which only a native speaker can be perfect. Don't you think this makes the language deficient and makes it difficult to learn? It also poses problems to Tamilians willing to learn other Indian languages, I have gone thru these phases and also come across many ppl with these complaints.

Thanks to borrowed 'Grantha' signs - we today are capable of writing most names e.g., Mahesh, Sriram, Rajan, Saraswathi, Christian names like Stanley, John, Muslim names like Hassan, Jaffar, etc...I dread to think otherwise..

Hindi also has some missing signs - short /e/, short /o/, but much less compared to Tamil. In the past, when Tamilians were strictly confined to TN, it was never a problem. That doesn't hold good anymore, in this internet age, where there is lot of cultural interchange.

Can't we add a few more new letters, derived from older ones, that wud make the language more effective, powerful and modern...Grantha letters have been added, few signs have been removed and new ones added to facilitate type-writing, Why can't we come up with some letters to enrich the language? (I'm neither a linguist nor a Scholar, just someone who has some thoughts to improve the lang to suit the present scenario)..Views please..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement