புகழ் பாடும்
    பம்மலார்.
    pammalar

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber RAGHAVENDRA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    டியர் பம்மலார்,
    பேசும் படம், குமுதம் ஜங்ஷன் என்று அமர்க்களப் படுத்தி விட்டீர்கள்.. தில்லானா மோகனாம்பாள் சவாலே சமாளியை மிஞ்சி விடும் என்று தோன்றுகிறது..

மலையாளத் தொலைக்காட்சி ஒன்றில் நடிகர் திலகத்தின் 10வது நினைவு நாளையொட்டி ஒரு சிறு தொகுப்பினை வழங்கியுள்ளனர். அதற்கான காணொளி இதோ -

தமிழ், தமிழர், என்று கூறிக் கொள்வோர் சிந்திக்கட்டும்...
    விமர்சனங்களுக்கு அப்பாற்பட்ட இறைவன் நடிகர் திலகம்.. கடலின் ஆழத்தை அளந்து விடலாம். நடிகர் திலகத்தின் செல்வாக்கை அளக்க முடியாது... அது பயனளிக்கும் போது தான் அதன் ஆழம் புரியும்....

Senior Member Devoted Hubber abkhlabhi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Written by Nithya Subramanian

Thillana Mohanambal.....

Here's some plain speaking...I stay at Bangalore and yet I've never been any good with movies or with catching up with the latest releases. I can never be dedicated to any task for more than a few minutes, and being glued to the silver screen for two-and-a-half or three hours is not, in many cases, an exception. I do have quite a few English favorites though (This is affectionately called the UK effect by some of my team-mates). Given a choice, I would prefer the Tamil oldies to the latest Hindi or the regional masalas. And speaking of Tamil oldies, the one film that pops up in my mind is this evergreen classic Thillana Mohanambal..

It is truly a classic..not only because it is set in the early to mid nineteenth century or because it is of Eastman colour..but also because generations after generations, people (children and adults alike) have found pleasure in every scene of the movie..I've watched the movie a zillion times before and I can play the entire movie in my mind's eye uninterruptedly (sans the irritating ads), and yet, I never miss an opportunity to watch it again discovering newer connotations in every scene and adding richer appreciation to every character. Well, its after all a classic....

For those of you who are not familiar with the story, here is a very brief synopsis of the movie...
    Sikkil Shanmughasundaram (a role adorned by Shivaji Ganesan to the extent of religious perfection) is a very talented but rather irritable 'Nadaswara vidwan'. Mohanambal (played by Padmini) is an equally talented and gorgeous Bharatanatyam danseuse. Each of them have their own set of troupes. Balaiya, the mridangam vidwan, Thangavelu, the dance master, T.R.Ramachandran (playing the role of Varada) are a few of them.

Well guys, its the proverbial love at first sight and first hear for them (you got to hear the nadaswaram and watch the Bharatanatyam dance). Its more of a magnetism between the Nadam and Bharatam, the arts, and consequently the corresponding artistes. And that's another reason why its a favourite of mine (its love at first encounter ). Back to the plot, Shanmugasundaram's bad-temper and Mohana's mother's lust for money bring in a few villains. Vaithy (played by Nagaesh) accentuates the rift between them, bringing in the Singapura Minor (Balaji) and the Madanpur Maharaja (Nambiar) who are allured by Mohanambal's splendor.

There is also a contest held between the lead artistes, (nadam or bharatham? Sikkil or Mohana? is the question) and the usual wise judgement of both being equally exceptional is delivered. Mohanambal is rightfully bestowed with the title 'Thillana Mohanambal' by none other than Shanmugasundaram himself in praise of her exceptional talent in that form of dance - Thillana...

To cut a long story short, (movies of yesteryears do have a intricate storyline guyz, unlike the modern counterparts which manage to run the reels for three hours with a three-minute plot), Mohana finally manages to appease Shanmugasundaram with her dedication. All's well that ends well...

Now for the critical analysis of the movie....All the songs are classics, with this one standing out... 'Marainthirunthu paarkum marmam enna..' Check out the video on youtube (link provided in this page)....Padmini's abhinayangal, her charm, lithe dance movements, notwithstanding Shivaji's expressions will leave you entranced. My favorite scene in the movie is the train scene, one in which both the troupes are cramped inside a typical Indian third class compartment and fight their guts out for more comfortable seats, berths, and light. Balaiya (the mridanga vidwan and Sivaji's senior accomplice excels in this scene...his is yet another monumental performance in movie.)The young couple, unperturbed by the surrounding scuffles are in their private world conversing with their eyes. How romantic!!! How intense is their affection!!! I seldom get that romantic feel in any of the modern day movies.....Such is the execution of the scene....

And I have quite a few favorite characters in the movie...Its difficult to pick a single superlative, because every single artiste connects to their roles and plays them to the required level of precision. I admire even the seemingly minor roles of Varadha (TRR), Vaithy (Nagaesh), dance master (Thangavelu) or even the vethilaipotti accomplice of Mohana's mother. And yet, one particular character which deserves awesome appreciation is Jiljil Ramamani (seemlessly rendered by Manorama). Her role is marked by ignorance, innocence, good-intentioned stupidity. In my opinion, her performance in the movie is second only to Shivaji Ganesan's...Do leave your favorite scenes and characters in the comments section.

So if there is something which can keep a true Mercurian like me glued to a spot for over three hours, it is a classic like Thillana Mohanambal. You can laugh, cry, emote, sit straight and connect all at once in three hours. That should explain most of it...I can't think of any modern-day sequels that can get even remotely close to this classic...Can you??

Senior Member Devoted Hubber abkhlabhi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    From the 50 best tamil films must watch before you DIE

Thillana Mohanambal

Thillana Mohanambal is a story of two egoistic geniuses falling in love head over heels but never had the mettle to express each other. Too simplistic? A simple one-liner can become a classic with a superb screenplay and wonderful acting. This movie is an epitome of what we are talking about. Thillana Mohanambal is a novel by Kothamangalam Subbu and adapted by AP Nagarajan. Sikkal Shanmugasundaram (Sivaji Ganesan) is a renowned Nagaswaram maestro and egoistic about his talent meets the Bharathanatyam genius Mohanambal (Padmini) and they fall in love instantly because of mutual admiration towards their talents. Her mother (CK Saraswathi) wants her to get married to a wealthy man in-order to get a luxurious life. She tries to patch Mohana with different people through the help of Vaithi (Nagesh – at his Villainy best) but fails at every instant due to the determination of Mohana. Shanmugasundaram misunderstands Mohana and gets in to a depressed state but through the help of friends their love travels to an happy ending.

Why it’s so special?
    1. The ensemble cast and brilliant acting. Sivaji and Padmini are fabulous. If you take the 10 best pairs in Tamil Cinema, they will rank right at the top, simply because of the chemistry and the way they try to overpower each other whenever they act together. Thillana Mohanambal provides the right premise for both the actors to shine.
    2. The supporting cast of AVM Rajan, Balayya, SV Sahasranamam, TR Ramachandran, Thangavelu, CK Saraswathi and apt cameos from Balaji, Nambiyar make the movie perfect. You would be amazed at the screenplay and how each actor is provided with scenes where they can shine in their own way. For instance, the train scene where Balayya steals the show completely from the lead characters.
    3. There are two actors without who Thillana Mohanambal would be half baked. Vaithi played by Nagesh and Jil Jill Ramamani by Manorama. Vaithi is the real villain of the story and Nagesh cakewalks the role. His saguni like villainy will make you laugh and hate him at the same time. Nobody other than Nagesh could have pulled it off. Jill Jill Ramamani on the other hand is the darling of the movie. Manorama’s portrayal is splendid with the unique gait and voice modulation. Even sometimes you feel that Sivaji let her to overshadow him. Don’t miss the folk dance performance from Manorama.
    4. The music and dance. This is one of the movies whose soundtrack should be preserved in any Tamil music buff’s collection. Maraindhirunthu Parkum, Nalamthana are instant classics. The musical pieces at various points of time performed by the Nagaswaram Troupe especially the western score done through traditional instruments are out of the world. the music was composed by KV Mahadevan. If music was perfect, the dance sequences are overwhelming. Padmini was at her best through the choreography of PS Gopalakrishnan. The Thillana contest between Nagaswaram and Bharathanatyam is a sequence not to be missed.
    5. It’s one of the perfect screenplays as it was adapted from a 3 volume novel and wonderfully directed too.
    6.One of the best novel adaptations and could not find a better musical than this.
    7.Perfectly casted, perfectly acted, perfectly composed (song and dance), perfectly written and perfectly directed.
    8.One of the few movies in Tamil which will not bore you even if you see it innumerable times and enjoy the movie from any point
    9.The nagaswaram played by Sivaji and AVM Rajan was played offline by MPN Sethuraman and MPN Ponnusami.
    10.The western notes that’s played by Sivaji’s troupe during the western band standoff scene was composed by Harikesnallur Muthaiah Bagavathar for Madurai Mani Iyer. It was used by KV Mahadevan for the movie
    11.The 3 volume novel written by Kothamangalam Subbu was published as a series in Ananda Vikatan 25 years before the movie was made. Interestingly, Vaithi’s caricature made by Gopu (artist) was very similar to Nagesh.
    12.The story is based out of the Kaveri delta area of Tanjore and adjacent places. Sikkal is a small village in Nagapattinam district and known for Singaravelan Temple. But the whole movie was shot in sets except for few scenes in Railway stations.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber J.Radhakrishnan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ராகவேந்தர் சார், பம்மலார் சார்,
    தில்லானா மோகனாம்பாள் விளம்பரங்கள் மிக அருமை, அதிலும் பேசும் படம் அட்டை படம் super!
    அன்றும் இன்றும் என்றும் நடிகர்திலகத்தின் நிரந்தர ரசிகன்

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    டியர் பம்மலார் & டியர் ராகவேந்தர்,

தமிழ்த்திரையுலகின் கலைப்பொக்கிஷமும், கலாச்சார பிரதிபலிப்புமான 'தில்லானா மோகனாம்பாள்' திரைக்காவியத்தின் வெளியீட்டு தின சிறப்புப் பதிவுகள் அனைத்துமே அருமையிலும் அருமை. சமீப காலமாக நமது திரியில், ஒவ்வொரு திரைப்பட வெளியீட்டையும் நினைவுகூறும் விதமாக நீங்கள் தேடித்தேடி அளித்து வரும் பொக்கிஷங்களான செய்தித்தாள் விளம்பரங்கள் மற்றும் அப்படம் சம்மந்தமான ஆவணங்களின் அணிவகுப்பு எல்லோராலும் மிக மிக விரும்பி வரவேற்கப்படுகிறது.

உண்மையைச்சொல்லப்போனால் அவற்றைப்பார்க்கும் பலர் இங்கு பாராட்டி எழுத விரும்புகின்றனர். அவர்களிடத்தில் உறுப்பினர் பதிவு இல்லாததால் அவர்களின் நன்றிகளை வெளிக்காட்ட முடியாமல் இருக்கின்றனர். ஆனால் பலர் சொல்வது... 'ஓ, இதைத்தான் இவ்வளவு நாட்கள் தேடிக்கொண்டிருந்தோம்' என்பதுதான். அப்போது காணக்கிடைக்காதவர்கள் இப்போது பார்த்து, பத்திரப்படுத்தி மகிழ்கின்றனர். இந்தப்பெருமைகளெல்லாம் உங்கள் அனைவருக்கும்தான். (சரி, சமீபகாலமாக முரளியண்ணாவின் பதிவுகளைக் காணவில்லையே ஏன்?. வேலைகளில் பிஸியாக இருக்கிறரா?).

ராகவேந்தர் அவர்கள் சொன்னதுபோல, 'தில்லானா' கொண்டாட்டங்கள் 'சவாலே சமாளி'யை மிஞ்சிவிட்டன. படம் வெளியானபோது காணக்கிடைக்காத 'பேசும் படம்' மற்றும் 'பொம்மை' பத்திரிகைகளின் செய்தித்துளிகளும் கல்கி விமர்சனமும் இப்போது படிப்பதற்கு உண்மையிலேயே மிகவும் ஆச்சரியமாக இருக்கின்றன. ஆக, பத்திரிகைகளே இப்படத்தின் பெரிய வெற்றியை எதிர்பார்த்திருக்கின்றன. இருந்தபோதிலும் இப்படத்தின் தரத்துக்கும் உழைப்புக்கும் ஆறு திரையரங்குகளில் 100 நாட்கள் என்பது போதாது. குறைந்தது 15 அரங்குகளில் 100 நாட்களும், குறைந்தது மூன்று நகரங்களில் வெள்ளிவிழாவும் கண்டிருக்க வேண்டும். அவ்வளவு தரமான படைப்பு.

இப்படம் பற்றி ஏற்கெனவே நமது திரியில் நாம் நிறையப் பேசிவிட்டதால், நாமே சிலாகித்துப்பேசிக்கொண்டிருப்பதற்கு பதில், அன்றைய சூழலில் பத்திரிகைகளில் வந்த செய்திகளை எடுத்துப்பிரசுரிப்பது உண்மையிலேயே மகிழ்வைத்தருகிறது.

இந்தப்பதிவுகளின் பின்னால் உங்கள் இருவரின் கடின உழைப்பு நன்றாகத்தெரிகிறது. இடையில் சிறிது காலம் இருட்டடிப்புச் செய்யப்பட்டிருந்த நடிகர்திலகத்தின் புகழும் சாதனைகளும், இதுபோன்ற உழைப்புகளால் இப்போது சுடர்விட்டுப்பிகாசித்து வருகிறது. நமது திரியில் விவாதிக்கப்படும் பல விஷயங்களும், புள்ளி விவரங்களும் தொலைக்காட்சி காம்பியர்களால் நிகழ்ச்சிகளில் எடுத்து கையாளப்பட்டு வருகின்றன. இது மிகவும் சந்தோஷப்பட வேண்டிய விஷயம்.

நண்பர் சந்திரசேகர் அவர்கள் சரியாகச் சொன்னதுபோல, இப்போதெல்லாம் அடுத்து வரும் திரைப்பட வெளியீட்டு தின நினைவன்று என்னென்ன விருந்து படைக்கப்போகிறீர்கள் என்று ஆவலுடன் அனைவரையும் எதிர்பார்க்க வைத்து விட்டீர்கள்.

தொடரட்டும் உங்கள் சீரிய தொண்டு.
    நன்றிகளுடன்..... சாரூ...

Senior Member Regular Hubber kumareshanprabhu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    HI Ragahavendra Sir. Pammal sir, Joe, Murali.shekar

lovely writing by harish thank you

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Dear Beloved N.T. Fans,

I'm back after long time, this long time I have been going thro' my ups & downs in my life, but I assure you all that never i missed out reading this thread about our great legend. All the discussions in this thread kept me movtivated in many ways.

Kindly execuse me, if by any chance I have deviated from the current topic. Our great man N.T have always inspired me and belive me only his inspiration made me to find a way out to all my problems.

By our N.T. blessings I assure our beloved fans that, I will continue to be active in this thread and keep posting my true experiences about our Legend.

JAIHIND
    M. Gnanaguruswamy

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    டியர் பாலா,

தில்லானா மோகனாம்பாள் திரைப்படம் பற்றிய நீங்கள் அளித்துள்ள இணைப்புகளும், ஆங்கிலத்தில் எடுத்துப்பிரசுரித்திருக்கும் கட்டுரையும் வெகு ஜோர். கட்டுரையாளர் சொல்லியிருப்பது மிகச்சரியான வார்த்தை. அப்படத்தில் வரும் சின்ன சின்ன ரோல்களில் வருபவர்கள் கூட தங்கள் பங்களிப்பை சரியாக நிறைவேற்றியிருப்பார்கள். கூட்டு முயற்சிக்கு சிறந்த எடுத்துக்காட்டான படம் இது. இதே ஆண்டின் துவக்கத்தில் வெளியான 'திருமால் பெருமை'யின் ஓட்டத்தைப் பார்த்துவிட்டு, 'சிவாஜி - ஏ.பி.என். காம்பினேஷன் அவ்வளவுதான். இனிமேல் எடுபடாது' என்று ஆரூடம் கூறியவர்களின் வாய்களுக்கு பூட்டுப்போட்டது இப்படம்.

இணைப்புகளுக்கும், கட்டுரைக்கும் நன்றி பாலா.

Dear Guruswamy,

Wecome back..
    வந்து நடிகர்திலகத்தின் ஜோதியில் ஐக்கியமாகுங்கள்.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    The directors, Krishnan-Panju, worked hard with the new face and after a few thousands of feet were canned, AV. Meiyappan and Iris friends viewed the rough-cut footage and were sorely disappointed. They felt The hero, that new actor Sivaji Ganesan. was no good!
    AVM suggested that the hero be replaced and K. R. Ramasami be brought on board. But Perumal was not convinced

Not satisfied with their terrible contribution to tamil cinema(esp after murattu kaalai), AVM might have committed this sin also?