Thread: Ustad Sultan Khan

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber R.Latha's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ustad Sultan Khan

Renowned sarangi maestro and singer Ustad Sultan Khan passed away due to kidney failure on Sunday afternoon.

A close family friend revealed that he was undergoing dialysis for the last four years and speech failed him in his last days. He expired on his way to the hospital.

His funeral will be held in his hometown Jodhpur, today afternoon. Khan's first performance was at the All India Conference when he was 11. Learning sarangi from his father Gulab Khan, he won the Sangeet Natya Academy Award twice. He was rewarded with Padma Bhushan, the third highest Indian civilian honour in 2010.

A Hindustani classical musician par excellence, Khan was renowned for his international collaborations and will always be remembered as the voice behind Piya Basanti Re and Albela Saajan in Bhansali's Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam.

The music world has bid goodbye to one of its most precious gems. May his soul rest in peace and his music reverberate in our hearts forever.

Bollywood grieves

He was my Guru. What I am as a composer is because of Ustadji. He sang a beautiful evocative song for me in Maqbool.I was in touch with him till the last.He was very ill and in pain.

-Vishal Bhardwaj

Ustad Sultan Khan was our neighbour. My brother Sajid and I grew up listening to his Sarangi. Our father Ustad Sharafat Ali Khan and him were musical partners. He wanted to sing for us!

Wajid(of Sajid-Wajid)

A wonderful human being, Ustaad saab was a close friend of my husband. It is a tremendous loss for us. He was young at heart and so creative. He taught me Albela Sajan in Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam.

Kavita Krishnamurti

He was supposed to play the sarangi in the Albela ... song. I requested him to sing instead. He used to tell me that because of me people wanted him to lend his voice more often. There's no sarangi player like him.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    ... He will be remembered for his vocals for “Albela Sajan Aayo Re” and “Piya Basanti Re”in the 1999 Indian film Hum Del De Chuke Sanam, as well as appeared and performed on the title track “Yaarodu Yaaro” for the Tamil film Yogi.

http://worldmusiccentral.org/2011/11...i-master-dies/