Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Kumari Kandam

Senior Member Regular Hubber Eelavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sina vavanaa...
    in two letters (but 3 characters).

Is it not the shortest god's name ?

Edit: In fact not because , 'Jah' venerated by Rastafarians is written in one Tamil letter (janaa)...
    Admire God through your life.

The creator is the creation himself..

http://vedamu.org/Mathematics/vedicmathematics.asp

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

shorter

Quote Originally Posted by Eelavar
    Sina vavanaa...
    in two letters (but 3 characters).

Is it not the shortest god's name ?

"maal" (thirumaal) --- even shorter. ( in poetics, 2 1/2 maaththirai only -- in Tamil).
    B.I. Sivamaalaa (Ms)

Senior Member Regular Hubber srivatsan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: sivan and sans

Quote Originally Posted by bis_mala
    The word Sanskrit is from roots "samai" + "katham". = concocted or cooked up ( refined thereore) sounds.

samai > sam.

kath(thu) > katham > kritham.

Please refer to old posts in the forum. Others have explained it already.
    I appreciate your guts of talking (oops actally blabbing ) so loud about something, which U hav no idea about.
    Quote Originally Posted by bis_mala
    samai > sam.

kath(thu) > katham > kritham..
    First of all it is not "sam" or "samay". It is the first form of "Samyak" which means "Well" or "Good" or "Perfect"

Secondly it is not Katham or "Kritham". It is Krutham, which is the past participle form of do verb. This is one "Avyaya" or Porul for Samskrutham.

Ms. Sivamala, try to give something constructive instead of shoering hatred. This is what almost all your posts show.

Atleast FSG proposes his own theory or his own interpretation of available resources. Everybody has the right to do so, whether it is correct or not. He or persons like him, I think, will humbly accept, if their interpretation is worng. But I have not seen any original or meaningful post from you, but for "few YES SIR" type of posts. I think people like you are the curse to Thamizh. God save Thamizh from such persons.. Good luck with your hatred campaign!
    DHARMO RAKSHATHI RAKSHITHA:

A typical Indian Cultural forum! www.samskruthi.org

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    siva is definitely from tamil. sivam = red / color of fire. Ancient tamils thought of all natural forces as gods. fire and water are the chief forces that played with their destiny. fire or the color of fire was fearsome. So they associated siva with destruction. since rain from sky is the chief source of water, they called vinnavan/vinnu and associated him with protection, as water is the source of life. In fact every god in hinduism could be related to specific forces of nature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FloraiPuyal
    siva is definitely from tamil. sivam = red / color of fire. Ancient tamils thought of all natural forces as gods. fire and water are the chief forces that played with their destiny. fire or the color of fire was fearsome. So they associated siva with destruction. since rain from sky is the chief source of water, they called vinnavan/vinnu and associated him with protection, as water is the source of life. In fact every god in hinduism could be related to specific forces of nature.
    Good interpretation Floraipuyal...escpecially the one for "Vishnu"..but I dont understand how you interpretation explains Siva's association with distruction..plz explain.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Simple, it was the period when we still had some forests and fire was the chief source of destruction. Remember, we still have colonies of huts that are destroyed by fire. Destruction by water is very scarce.

To please these gods, they came up with some primitive methods of sacrifice - many of us still believe in sacrificing a lemon to save our lives - dont we? As we can expect, the growth of siva worship is much more than that of vinnu worship just because he (fire) is the fiery one and he has to be pleased.

Even the word lingam ( from tamil ilangu -> ilingam -> lingam ) means bright light or something similar to that.

The root word for siva is sol which in tamil means to shine ( european solar - originates from this.) siva - god who shines; sivappu - color of shining (object); sonnam - that which glitters - gold; solam - crop that is bright - maize; solai - place that glitters - garden; sothi - flame;

Since the flames appear as if to dance, siva got another name natarasan - lord of dances.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    In fact what Ms. Mala said is true, though samai is not the root word.
    sanskrit was initially called senkatham = sem + katham. sem is the root word and it means perfect (eg., semmozi, senthamiz, semmai paduthuthal, samai - to cook or to make perfect) . kal is the root for katham and one of its meanings is to talk (kallu - kathu, kathai - story, kaththu - to talk loudly, katham - language ). So senkatham means literally perfected language.
    senkatham - sankatham - sanskrutham.

A little bit of linguistics and you will know that the earliest roots should have been monosyllables - like am, kam, sam etc.. For tamil and sanskrit, both being perfectly agglutative in nature, we can find the roots. Only in tamil can you trace the roots upto monosyllables. In sanskrit, when we try to trace the roots, we end up halfway with multi-syllabic words, which indicate they cannot be the original roots.

As I showed you in the case of siva, a lot of words sounding similar can be broken to roots and they perfectly can be explained with help of tamil. But the same is not possible with sanskrit.

I had already posted a reply to kannann explaining a possible evolution of language from south to north

http://www.forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/v...er=asc&start=0

I am not against sanskrit but sorry, it doesnt just fit the curve.

Banned Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Krit" in Sanskrit means "to do / to have done" (Kritam also means "to have written / to have done" -- both derivatives from Kuru - meaning, to do). "Kri" as a verb needs a suffix / prefix. Eg: KRIda means 'play'.

Plz note the 'tra' maatra may not exist in Tamil. Therefore 'Kra' or "Kri" may not be a sound used in Tamil as well. So how cud u get the meaning for KRIT from Tamil?

"SAN" is a root word (mool maatra shabd) for anything respectful / refined / pure / noble . Like "SANmaanam" (felicitation / giving respect), etc. I fail to understand how it cud be associated with cooking. Perhaps the interpretation is cooked!!

Basically "Sanskrit" means "to do noble / refined / respectful speech".

None of you are giving the meaning for the sound SAN in sanskrit from Tamil but talking abt derivation from SEN / SEM. Plz note in Sanskrit you cannot change the syllabal sound like Tamilians do. It is common to see in Tamil, that sounds are substituted -- eg: Ta for Da, Pa for Ba, etc & vice -versa. Such a provision is v.rare in Sanskrit as the Uccharanam (way of pronunciation, decibel sound / pitch, etc) is fixed and expected to be proper. That is why priests spend so much time simply perfecting their pronunciation.

Well other languages can be interpreted in one way or the other from one language. But changing its derivative meaning and in some way changing its entire meaning is not a good idea.

As for the word Shiva, every Yoga book says Shiva was the original master of Yoga; and Shiva comes from the word Shava, meaning "a dead body". 'Shiva' suposedly is a neutral-gender term and perhaps that is why Shiva is Ardhanareshwara (Half-man, Half-Woman; the original symbol for yin-yang and the Gnosis concept of man / woman being incomplete without the other). Not suprisingly, the word iva is also the word for eve (eve is also known as eva). Dan Brown must know this (Da Vinci Code anyone?)

Yet, Shiva had his mind so much in control that even a snake wud not bite him (snakes don't bite the dead). So as proof of his perfect mind control (like that of a dead man) he wears a snake around him. That's some example of procreation without any sense of pleasure, must say . If the whole world followed that example the human race wud be extint by now

Similarly what you may interpret from Tamil for words such as Vishnu, Skanda, Vinayaka, etc may be right from your point of view (everyone is entitled to an opinion after all). But just remember it may also have another derivative and another meaning from the point of view of another language; which is why it is there in that language in the first place.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    happy indian (h.indian?) i agree with you. please go ahead with your explanations linguistically, explaining morphology, word formation, similarity between words, words originating from those roots, relation of words to their meanings, evolution from meaningless sounds. Everyone can have their opinion and should express them. Please go through the link I had given, explain your views. That is what a debate is for.

Post Thanks / Like
    In fact what Ms. Mala said is true, though samai is not the root word.
    sanskrit was initially called senkatham = sem + katham. sem is the root word and it means perfect (eg., semmozi, senthamiz, semmai paduthuthal, samai - to cook or to make perfect) . kal is the root for katham and one of its meanings is to talk (kallu - kathu, kathai - story, kaththu - to talk loudly, katham - language ). So senkatham means literally perfected language.
    senkatham - sankatham - sanskrutham.

A little bit of linguistics and you will know that the earliest roots should have been monosyllables - like am, kam, sam etc.. For tamil and sanskrit, both being perfectly agglutative in nature, we can find the roots. Only in tamil can you trace the roots upto monosyllables. In sanskrit, when we try to trace the roots, we end up halfway with multi-syllabic words, which indicate they cannot be the original roots.

As I showed you in the case of siva, a lot of words sounding similar can be broken to roots and they perfectly can be explained with help of tamil. But the same is not possible with sanskrit.

I had already posted a reply to kannann explaining a possible evolution of language from south to north

http://www.forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/v...er=asc&start=0

Perhaps for the very first time, I think, I am seeing a decent explanation about Samskrutham, by a Thamizh abhimani...
    Well..coming to your interpretation May be pandaya Thamizhargal might have called Samskrutham as "Senkatham"...but the word Samskrutham is from the perfect grammatical formation of Samskrutha roots, Sir...I am sure about this......

but I appriciate your approach...well done....

Well....As I have learned Samskrutha vyakarnam(Grammar), I know that all the roots of the words that I know, is either mono syllable or a sound associated with nature's sound. (example:- the samskrutha name for rain is varsha and the root is "ssh", which sounds more like the sound of rain, then with help of Soothrams mentioned in Vyakarnam, you can arrive at the word "Varsham") This you will and can understand only when you read Vyakarnam.....I would suggest, not to jump in to conclusion......If you're interested in learning, let me know.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast