Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharing Thoughts on Uthiri Pookkal

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Couple of good examples that worked for me too. Thank you. They did work in giving a matter of fact slice-of-life snapshot(s). And that's a good quality for sure. To create emotion out of moments, brought about by characters. A quality that I cherish about early Mahendran is the fact he didn't direct our (viewer's) attention to him or to his wit, but always the character's. Also, the unbridled quality of letting the character govern the plot & not the plot govern the characters. To sum his films into a plot line would be disservice. All that I get. But...
    ...an artist without an art.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove View Post
    Couple of good examples that worked for me too. Thank you. They did work in giving a matter of fact slice-of-life snapshot(s). And that's a good quality for sure. To create emotion out of moments, brought about by characters. A quality that I cherish about early Mahendran is the fact he didn't direct our (viewer's) attention to him or to his wit, but always the character's. Also, the unbridled quality of letting the character govern the plot & not the plot govern the characters. To sum his films into a plot line would be disservice. All that I get. But...
    Super
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AravindMano View Post
    azhagiya kaNNE - Janaki. Title song kELunga, adhuvum nalla song.I am not surprised that UthiripookkaL has not much takers. It's not a look-at-me kind of film that proclaims it's greatness, at times I think the film itself is not conscious about it's greatness. It's just that a film maker in his best frame of mind with the best available resources (including the short story) makes a film in the way he likes and it turns out to be one heck of a piece. I am one absoulte fan.
    Aye, aye. Lovely, AM, lovely. Tm, N paththi ellaam karuththu irukkaa?

Post Thanks / Like
    Why I mentioned the technique of a sad song with either a)cut between past and present to underline the character's misfortune and changed circumstances b) montage of the character's past to summarise/outline the current plight is think Sethu for a) - Vikram hale and healthy in the past, emaciated in the present, is underlined in Enge Sellum. For b), countless examples. Thenpaandi cheemaiyile? Mahendran doesn't need these props to invoke your tears. He simply shows the moment. And the rest your heart does it.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mani Rathnam once said "If I get anywhere near what Mahendran did in Udhiri Pookkal, I’ll be a happy man." But the matter is Kamal never said that because Kamal wanted to go above that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Indha subtlety, subtletyngaraingaLE. Andha subtlety-aiyE subtle-A sonnadhu Mahendran dhaan. NammallAm explicitA thuruthikittu nikkaRadhaiyE subtletynu koNdAdarOm...

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    Indha subtlety, subtletyngaraingaLE. Andha subtlety-aiyE subtle-A sonnadhu Mahendran dhaan. NammallAm explicitA thuruthikittu nikkaRadhaiyE subtletynu koNdAdarOm...
    Very general statement. Quote with examples.

Post Thanks / Like
    Title song: hey chinna poongatru thaalatta. Raja's voice plays with your heart like it was his violin string. And he hints the first interlude of Azhagiya Kanne in the first interlude here. That interlude captures the helplessness but small happiness of Ashwini's situation. Ofcourse, TM has its own musical motifs and BGM. But, Raja is a character here. He is there. You don't see hom but You knowhe is there. You don't pay attention to him but all the while he is occupying your mind as much as what you are watching on screen. Probably, it is Raja who tilts the scales for me. His craft is at a higher peak here. Yes, it is raw, it being only his third year in TF. But that suits Udhiri PookkaL in a way that the organised, tight-orchestrating latter day Raja cannot.

Junior Member Junior Hubber Bing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    please change the title to Nayagan v Devar Maghan v Udhiri Pookal .. (vera edhavadhu add pannanumnaa requestungo)
    Aalavanthan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cinema View Post
    Very general statement. Quote with examples.
    Nothing off my head I'll tell you why I made that statement. RecentA sila pala threads-la, idhu subtleA beautifulA solli irukkArnu padichappO, andha timela chippu vandhudhu idhellAm dhaan subtletyAnnu. But I don't remember now and can't be bothered to search now. If you want me to retract that statement since I cannot quote examples, I will.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast