Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharing Thoughts on Uthiri Pookkal

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bala (Karthik) View Post
    Watched Udhirippookkal DVD a few years back. Plum/Jaiganes ku erpatta thaakkam enakku erpadala. Marupadiyum paakkanum...
    Not just UP, I'd extend it to Mahendran films in general. They are all likable. Maybe even 'poetic' (which is one thing I hope someone could translate into words) But not sure I like 'em as much as Balu Mahendra films.
    ...an artist without an art.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now, jaikanes. That's a guy to catch for writing about UP. Avara modhalla valai veesi thedungappA. Indha threadlaye avaru contribute paNNa vENdiyadhu. RajavOda dhukkam visArikavum varala - manushan engE pOnArnu theriyala. Nerd lives close to his place I think. Avara vuttu thEda sollaNum

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P_R View Post
    unga poorvaasrama peyar enna?.
    I used to post in the old hub with names cine_info and cine_fan. That hub was very funny and entertaining with no active moderators I believe. After hub imposed lot of rules, the fun part was gone. I have been watching hub on and off and became active early this year. I recall some of the names from the old hub but not whole lot though. Apparently lot of them left.

K_G is a liker. avar Plummanaarai ezhudha vaikkaradhukkaaga solraar.

I saw it on DD after a lot of hype one.
    From what I remember: some Charuhasan, Foovadhi scenes, which were - acting, dialogues, overall feel - very very very ordinary.
    I will watch. ivvaLavu pEr solreengannA yEdhAvadhu irukkalaam. irukkum.
    Uthiripookkal used to crtics darling in late seventies and eighties. For example there was great episode in DD(during 1992 or 1993 I believe) about great tamil movies and the episode started with Aboorva sagotharargal as it was recent one then. the second episode was about Uthiripookkal and they discussed the movie in detail and its greatness. That episode gave me an interest to watch that movie but I did not have chance to watch it until 2-3 years back when DVD was released. I don't remember all the scenes but from what I remember the all the hype about its greatness was justified.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove View Post
    Not just UP, I'd extend it to Mahendran films in general. They are all likable. Maybe even 'poetic' (which is one thing I hope someone could translate into words) But not sure I like 'em as much as Balu Mahendra films.
    Same here - kaattu thee madhiri pathikkum (arokyamaa) BM vs Mahendra Singh
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll try only one item: I am not sure I can do justice so if it doesn't sound great, blame me, not Mahendran.Azhagiya Kanne itself is visual poetry, that and all I think even sceptics(read feeyaar) will agree. Infact, Sriranga Ranganadhanin looks ordinary in comparison for a single parent(ashiwin isn't technically but for all practical purposes,is), two kids, playfulness between them, between them and parent, their ordinary daily routine, the parent's emotional bulwark being the children..ipdi epdi pArthaalum Mahanadhi song loses deposit.. (Ha, now accuse me of being a Kamal fanatic, Nayagan folks!). Ofcourse appa !=amma so a bit odious comparison. I'll continue in next post since my mobile is swallowing para breaks making my posts unreadable

Post Thanks / Like
    Ashwini and Haja Sheriff(the son, elder to the daughter, Anju) wash the clothes together at padiththuRai. The son is so matter of fact used to assisting the mother at such a young age. It doesn't stand out. apdiyE normalA irukkum. Little Anju watches from distance, and tries squeezing water out of her wet paavadai in the same manner. Heartu melt-O meltu. That is the prelude. Watch out for next post

Post Thanks / Like
    azhagiya kaNNE - andha pAttE avvaLavA pudikkAdhu.
    paadinadhu yaaru?
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Post Thanks / Like
    Ashwini bathes the boy in the song. And in general, that he is the elder and more responsible of the two chldren comes out. Later after Ashwini dies, the chiththi has just entered the household. Young woman, with her own dreams and life. Mahendran has her casually observe as the boy and little girl have their bath. Even if you simply capture it(no freudelent analysis, please!) it, it is possible to milk the sentiment in the scene. Two kids, when mother was there, so much attention and care was showered on them. Now, a chiththi simply watches them managing their own chores. By itself enough to invoke sendiment. Perhaps add a sad version of Azhagiya kanne here, with present and past cut in succession to underline the sentiment? Perhaps have the chithi give villainous expression or disturbed by the children and scold them? Now watch Mahendran at work. He simply matter of fact shows the children bathing and the erstwhile little kid Anju soaping her brother, a role performed by her mother when she was alive. Time has passed. And the little one, instinctively as would a female heart, takes over the mothering role to her responsible elder brother in her small way. Heart is a mish mash of melted wax. Eyes are a misty river. Udhiri PookkaL is why I would NEVER make a obese joke on Anju in my life.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    azhagiya kaNNE - Janaki. Title song kELunga, adhuvum nalla song.

I am not surprised that UthiripookkaL has not much takers. It's not a look-at-me kind of film that proclaims it's greatness, at times I think the film itself is not conscious about it's greatness. It's just that a film maker in his best frame of mind with the best available resources (including the short story) makes a film in the way he likes and it turns out to be one heck of a piece. I am one absoulte fan.
    நெலயா நில்லாது நினைவில் வரும் நெறங்களே

Post Thanks / Like
    azhagiya kaNNE - andha pAttE avvaLavA pudikkAdhu.paadinadhu yaaru?
    Thou art fit only for treasons and strategems!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast