Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M. Ghibran - MD of Vaagai Sooda Vaa

Hybrid View

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sunil_M88's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

M. Ghibran - MD of Vaagai Sooda Vaa

Vaagai Sooda Vaa (VSV) M. Ghibran Ji

All I can say is that in the recent time, I’ve never been so much bowled over by an album which is by a debut composer as much as I have been by VSV by M. Ghibran Ji. I rarely go gaga over albums which have music by debutants and it takes two or three albums to be released by them before I become aware of their presence.

Obviously like others here I also followed the word of mouth for this album and also read reviews highly praising the music. I got the album and decided to listen to it on my JVC producing headphones and instantly fell in love with every song. There was certainly some divine intervention happening whilst I sat alone looking out of my window during sunset listening to Poraney. As I had the album in shuffle the next song on list was in fact the karaoke version of Poraney and the same magic was repeated. After completing the album I instantly tweeted to M. Ghibran Ji expressing how much I liked the album. I wasn’t expecting a reply but was really pleased when he said, “Thank you Sunil”. Some might say that this might be his marketing strategy to become popular. From reading his other tweets I felt he seemed like a very spiritual and humble guy, a quality which every great music director possesses and again some people may say he’s pulling of a drama show so he can draw equal amount of fans as legends that still continue to rise in the industry.

As I try and be attention seeking sometimes I felt I should send him a Youtube link to my first beat. I was really surprised when he replied straight away saying he liked it and appreciated that I use his tabla, mridghangam, thavil, ghatam etc. loops in my beat. I would have never guessed that the loops I incorporated in to my beat were by M. Ghibran Ji. He also requested me to check out his ethnic virtual instruments that he produced for the Apple Logic Pro software.

Some of you might be thinking I’m sounding biased towards him now since he replied to me and heard my music, however I would like to assure that even if he didn’t reply to me or hear my music I wouldn’t have cared less and this is simply because I happily would have continued listening to VSV anyway as the music speaks for itself. It’s just been over two months now since the album released and I really feel that with the right amount of publicity it has the potential of achieving a National Film Award. Some portions of the album really display calibre of unimaginable talent and it is really inspiring when I hear debutants getting the praise they actually deserve. He has been in the industry for thirteen odd years working on ad films and jingles and also he already has two private albums under his belt. He surely knows what he’s doing.

With his permission I started the official fan club on twitter for M. Ghibran Ji the weekend the album released but he felt that it’s too early for a thing like this. I didn’t want to cause trouble so since then didn’t really update the fan club profile with tweets. I don’t know if he took it the wrong way or not but on the contrary of him telling me not to update the page, he had the courtesy to make me one of the administrators for his Facebook fan page, for which I am truly blessed.

Vaagai Sooda Vaa is apparently set to release on 23rd September so on behalf of the M. Ghibran Ji fan club I would like to kindly request those reading this to think about watching this film and suggesting it to friends and friends of friends.

Thank you

Sunil Malhotra
    Last edited by RR; 3rd October 2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Title expanded

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    To avoid confusion, M. Ghibran Ji was formerly addressed as Vijaygee.

source: http://www.hindu.com/mp/2004/09/30/s...3000680300.htm Article by Savitha Gautham

Carnatic classics are given a world music twist by Vijaygee. Wonder how? Read on

FUSION WITH the nadaswaram? Why not, seems to be Vijaygee's answer. This young composer-arranger has given a world music twist to Carnatic classics in an album that's simply titled "Reverberations." And in the first week of October, "Reverberations II" will hit the racks. Both the albums have been released under the Kosmic Music label.

For the first album, Vijay, an eighth grader in piano (practical and theory) from the Trinity College, London, and now doing his eighth grade with the Royal College of Music, has lent a fresh sound to such classics as "Nagumomu," "Samajavaragama" and "Ennathavam." The notes of the nadaswaram, played by G. Ramesh, lend the tracks a traditional touch, while percussionist Vikram and guitarist Anand provide African rhythms and rock riffs. And the strings lend that Western classical feel. There are some original compositions which have names such as "Missing Notes," "Pulse of Chennai," "Dawn to Dusk" and "Marriage in Monsoon."

Wider appeal

Why fusion, you ask the 24-year-old. "It has a wider reach and appeals to the younger generation," is his reply. "Also it gives me a chance to experiment with new sounds."

For "Reverberations II," the Octet Cantabile will be lending choral support along with Durga Prasad playing chitra veena and friends like K.G. Ranjith Kutty and Devaraj pitching in with vocal inputs.

Vijay, who has jingles such as Aavin, Gold Winner, Pothys and Arogya Milk to his credit, has also arranged music for the films "Five Star" and "Yeh! Nee Romba Azagha Irukkey," besides a couple of Malayalam films.

Unforgettable moment

"Sharing the stage with the Colonial Cousins at a show in Singapore" is an unforgettable moment for this youngster, who owns a studio, Akshara Sound Forge, in T. Nagar. "In fact, both the albums were recorded at my studio," he states proudly.

His influences? "These days, I enjoy listening to Deep Forest, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Yanni and Nitin Sawhney. I draw inspiration from many artistes."

The future? "I want to study music composition, hopefully at Berkeley. And, make a world music album," says Vijay earnestly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are two of his interviews:

Post Thanks / Like
    Official fan club Twitter link - https://twitter.com/#!/MGhibran_Fans
    Official fan club Facebook link - https://www.facebook.com/pages/M-Ghi...37407306286991

Post Thanks / Like
    You can hear his former material at Raaga and Music India Online. Here are the respective links http://www.raaga.com/channels/fusion.../Vijaygee.html and http://www.musicindiaonline.com/#/se...bal!q=vijaygee

Post Thanks / Like
    Also please check his former myspace page. You can hear his number Out of control http://www.myspace.com/music/player, which is highly scintillating.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Sunil for the article and info on the artist.

Two new music albums for me to check out this evening

I checked out two compositions from Reverberations- vol-1 this morning while having breakfast.

Dawn to Dusk -
    WIND INSTRUMENT plays RAGAM DESH - THUNBAM NERGAIYIL YAAZH EDUTHU INBAM SERKKA MAATTAYAA..

Longing and enchantment Desh induces is heartwarming.

I am under Sanjeev Kumar fever forever.
    Late Sanjeev Kumar is amazingly romantic for me ...I can't resist.
    Don't you just love those boys who adorable, huggable, soft and sensitive!
    Sanjeev Kumar's Subtle emotions... such a superlative performer, I DIG

Hubby and wife lost the intimacy, then did something about it. Gained the loving, intimate life back.

Kanu Roy's composition for phir kahi.........ANUBHAV

Handsome MGR's androru naal.........Nadodi.

http://www.raaga.com/player4/?id=155...10797744081708

Sorry I can't find the video.

Marriage in Monsoon -
    Melody plays RAGAM PILU
    bajarey yedhu naadham.....sadasiva brahmendra is one of my very favorite keerthanai.

Nice job. wonderful to listen.

VAAGAI SOODA VAA indeed a beautiful work.

Arrangement is very good.

Good luck to him.

love,

Vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 13th September 2011 at 10:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Vinatha mam.

I highly recommend Pakkala Nilapadi - Spurt Of Values - http://www.raaga.com/player4/?id=761...76805497511422 What raag is this?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sunil,

All those keerthanais title tracks, I will check out this evening.
    I assume he has done orchestration for the keerthanais.

There is a pakala nilabadi.... Thyagaraja krithi in rag Karaharapriya.

Dig

Are you aware of Ganesh (Kumaresh)'s album ADHRISHTA ?
    Ganesh violin and Debashish Bhattacharya's slide guitar collaboration.
    He has done some enchanting rags like Charukesi, Mohan Kalyani etc.. in his album.
    It is not orchestral.

I listen to Slide Guitar works by Brij Bhushan Kabra, Fusion works of L.Subramaniam, L.shankar , Selva Ganesh works, Nadaka-Living Colours etc...

Check them out if you like.

End

Too much music too little time... Good for us, We have wide selections for our mood.

VAAGAI SOODA VAA is impressive. Wish him a long and exciting music career in Indian Films.
    Last edited by baroque; 14th September 2011 at 04:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast