Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: IR - Telugu Songs and Lyrics

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    First, the raw data

Plum
    21st June 2009, 09:20 PM
    Suresh, usha, this is freaky. Have been looping on vayyari godaaramma last 2 days!
    I haven't heard of this movie but caught these songs a year ago. Even during the assembly line peak of his in telgu, out comes such a unique stunner of an album.
    Vayyari godaaramma is really a delicous song. You can feel the gentle mild waves of godaaramma lapping your feet, though the reference to godavar is purely metaphorical here. There is something intensely telugu and godavari about this song that I can't place my fingers on. The thick green groves and the smell of fresh mud is what I get here...
    Plum
    21st June 2009, 09:25 PM

This album is as much spb-janaki's as IR's.
    I always thought voice was a functional necessity for IR but once very often, you get songs like this which tells you he is very aware of the utility of voices as an instrument by itself. That SPB is a part of many of these probably tells us why he stuck to them instead of experimenting. Consider this:
    Nijamu naa swapnam - SPB, with janaki humming just that microsec inbetween. The economy of that humming in janaki's voice is a measured and deliberate tool in Raja's hands.

The melodies in various parts of the song escalate, as Suresh observed in other contexts, and keep surprising you with the turns.

What is important is that this is similar to Sumam prathi sumam in that sense but at the same time, it is not the suffocating, continuous escalation of melody stakes. Here, IR gives us enough seconds to absorb one melody before giving another - the net effect is one of sitting on a boat parked near the shore on Godavari on a moonlit night with your beloved, and partaking the simple pleasures of the waves lapping your feet, and the company of sweet nothings.
    The lyrics deserve a mention, too. Is it Veturi, Suresh? Sweet nothings never got more melodious words, and lighter or effortlessly weightless profundity.
    Stanza:
    SPB: Nijamu naa swapnam // My dream IS reality
    ho ho - minute humming by S Janaki
    Janaki: kalanO lEnO // I may be there, then again I might
    be an illusion
    SPB: Neevu naa sathyam // You are my reality
    ho ho - minute humming by S Janaki, modified from previous time
    Janaki: avunO kaanO // Oh, really! Maybe, not!
    SPB: Ooha neevai, usuruko raave // if you are an illusion, why dont you just become real?

And so on.... my limited grasp of telugu could only translate so much but while I might be exaggerating ordinary lyrics for all I know, I find the sweet nothings here, the teasing between the girl and the boy, pretty interesting.

Sureshs65
    21st June 2009, 09:26 PM

Very true Plum. There are some songs which have this complete 'Telugu' character. 'Kinnarasani Vacchindi' is one more such song. Don't know how he does it but it is definitely magical. There is infact a small bit song which starts 'Ladies Tailor' and it is absolutely Godavari / Rajamundry stuff.

'Vayyari Godaramma' has been in a loop in my car. I haven't seen this movie but trying to get hold of it. I think I have seen most of Vamsi / Rajendra Prasad combo. Don't know how I missed this one.

tvsankar
    22nd June 2009, 11:09 AM

Suresh and Plum,
    Enaku Telugu film per kuda theiryadhu.
    Just telugu songs nu search panninen.
    Idhai parthen.

Preminchi pelladu - ella paataiyum kaeten,
    Very nice.
    Nirandharam - Romba pidichadhu.

Plum
    22nd June 2009, 08:16 PM

P.S:Suresh, please ignore the errors in translation, if any. As the dreamy lover says in the song, "if you are an illusion, then become my reality" so similarly, "if my translation being correct is an illusion, let that be my reality" for the sweetness of that nothing-song is quite nice for me

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Song #3

Song: Vayyari Godaramma
    Film:Preminchi Pelladu
    Singer: S.P.Balasubramaniam, S.Janaki
    Composer: Ilaiyaraja.
    Lyricist: Veturi Sundara Rama Moorthy (?)
    Youtube Link: < Experts Raagas/Suresh to provide>

(To be edited) further

For the previous song, we coined the term Lyrical Flourish. Fortunately, we dont need to coin a term for this one, since we already have an established term in these parts for this song, namely, Escalating Melody.

This term refers to the attribute of songs wherein the Composer packs in a brilliant melody after melody in the tune with the tune getting sweetest as it reaches the end of the song/stanza. The tunes are obviously inter-connected and flowing but in some cases, keep raising the honey stakes until you reach a point where you are suffocated by the composite effect. An example for this is "Sumam Prathi sumam", which we hope to excavate an old discussion on and bring in for discussion here soon.

A variant is this song, where the melody escalates but in a measured, casual manner giving us sufficient time to absorb the first melody before we move on to the next, escalated one.

'Preminchu Pelladu' is as much SPB-Janaki's as IR's.
    I always thought voice was a functional necessity for IR but once in a while, you get songs like this which tells you he is very aware of the utility of voices as an instrument by itself. That SPB is a part of many of these probably tells us why he stuck to them instead of experimenting with new singers during the mid 80s. Consider the stanzas of this song:
    Nijamu naa swapnam - SPB, with janaki humming just that micro-sec inbetween. The economy of that humming in janaki's voice is a measured and deliberate tool in Raja's hands.

The melodies in various parts of the song escalate, and keep surprising you with the turns.

What is important is that this is similar to Sumam Prathi Sumam in that sense but at the same time, it is not the suffocating, continuous escalation of melody stakes. Here, IR gives us enough seconds to absorb one melody before giving another - the net effect is one of sitting on a boat parked near the shore on Godavari on a moonlit night with your beloved, and partaking the simple pleasures of the waves lapping your feet, and the company of sweet nothings.

The lyrics deserve a mention, too. I think it is Veturi who wrote the song.

Sweet nothings never got more melodious words, and lighter or effortlessly weightless profundity.

Stanza:
    SPB: Nijamu naa swapnam // My dream IS reality
    ho ho - minute humming by S Janaki
    Janaki: kalanO lEnO // I may be there, then again I might be an illusion
    SPB: Neevu naa sathyam // You are my reality
    ho ho - minute humming by S Janaki, modified from previous time
    Janaki: avunO kaanO // Oh, really! Maybe, not!
    SPB: Ooha neevai

killer pause
    SPB: usuruko raadhaa // if you are an illusion, why dont you just become real?

The fully lyrics go as follows- I am going to bravely attempt it but I need raagas/suresh to bail me out

vayyari gOdArammA
    vuLLanthA endukammA
    kalavaram?

kadali odilO
    kalisi pOthE

inni kaLalika endhukO?
    kanne kaLa ika kOrukO
    kalavarinthE kougilinthai..
    (vayyari..)

nijamu nA swapnam...ohO..
    kalanO...lEnO!
    neevu nA sathyam...ohO
    avunO kAnO!
    ooha neevE...
    usurukO rAdhA!

musurukO rAdhA

navvEti nakshatrAlu...............
    muvva gopAluni rAdhikA

Last edited by Plum; 25th August 2011 at 04:51 PM.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    'EnAdu vidipOni mudivEsEne' from 'Sri kanaka mahalakshmi recording dance troupe'... . This is among the most soothing duets I've ever heard. Everything gels so seamlessly and beautifully in the song.. the music, tune, singing, lyrics. As the cliche goes, it really feels like being carressed with a feather.
    Plum/Suresh65/Raagas... here's a request from the audience to you guys....Randi randi randi.. dhaya cheyyandi!
    This movie supposedly has some remix songs... which of the songs are remix and which original?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    KV,

'Telisindile' is from the movie 'Ramudu Bheemudu'. The original here: Original Music Dir: Pendyala Nageshwar Rao

'Siggesthondha Siggesthondha' is from the movie 'Manushulu Mamathalu'. The original here: 'http://www.muzigle.com/track/siggesthondha' Music Dir: T.Chalapathi Rao

'Nuvvu Naa Mundhunte' is from 'Goodachari 116' The original here: http://www.raaga.com/play/?id=240561 Music Drir: T.Chalapathi Rao

Post Thanks / Like
    'Enadu Vidiponi' is an Agmark Raja original. What a lovely Chakravagam. Which reminds me of this knockout Chakravagam he gave for the Malayalam film 'Aalapanam'. 'thanal virikkan'. No wonder we prostrate in front of him. Who wouldn't after listening to such a melody:

http://www.hummaa.com/music/song/tha...rikkan/129575#

Post Thanks / Like
    Plum,

I know you have been calling me to this thread for various songs. Stuck with work for past few months and all I am able to do is Guerrilla warfare. Post a line or two and vanish Will post more translations when I get some time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh, we are all going through tight work schedules I guess. Ningalum amerikka capitalist system mela dependent companyA?
    Thanks for the promise. I'll transfer the saagara sangamam discussions here meanwhile.
    I don't know about others but this one stop shop is of value to me. As I confessed, naane adikkadi thirumba thirumba padichu "epdira plum unnala mattum"-nu solli oru chinna egoistic pleasure adaiya mudiyudhu

Add to that superb contri from you and raagas - it's bliss that way.

Reg enadu vidi poni, I have always had a intuitive feel of linking this to swathi muthyam but never understood why. I realised why recently - it is there as background score when Radhika and Kamal leave the village after he ties the thali.
    Possibly it was composed for swathimuthyam and dropped? I guess this song instead of that admittedly folksy delight sung by shailaja would have enhanced that album

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vayyari godaramma vollantha endukamma kalavaram

Why are you so anxious oh young(???) Godavari

Kadali vodilo kalisipote kala varam

Your dream will turn into a boon when you meet the sea (kalavaram - anxiety, kala varam - dream turning to reality)

Inni kalalika yenduko kanne kalayika koruko

Why do you want to meet something, when you can wish meeting a young lass

Kalavarinthey kougilinthayi || Vayyari godaramma ||

... and the anxiety turns to an embracement

Nijamu naa swapnam ho ho

It's true, it's my dream

Kalano ho ho leno ho ho ho

Am I a dream, am i an illusion?

Neevu naa satyam ho ho

You are existing and that is true

Auno ho ho kaano ho ho ho

Am I or am I not?

Ooha neeve aahahahaa usuru kaaraadda aaahaaa

You are my imagination....... can't it become real?

Mohamalle aaahahahaa musuru koraadha aaaahaaa

Like a deep love... can't you occupy me?

Navveti nakshtaralu muvvalni muddhaadanga Muvvaa gopaluni radhika

When the laughing stars start kissing anklets....like what happens between Radhika and Krishna

Aakasa veena geethalalona
    Aalaapanai ne karigipona || Vayyari godaramma ||

I will melt like a aaalap in this lovable song that sounds like a veena

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh65, thanks for the information and the links; my hunch about the remixed songs was the same.
    Plum, quite possible, but then, Vamsi-IR combo also has the record of some great songs, no? (indha aalu yaarukku dhaan nalla pAttu kuduththadhilla? paari vallall'nga)

Senior Member Senior Hubber raagas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65 View Post
    'Enadu Vidiponi' is an Agmark Raja original. What a lovely Chakravagam. Which reminds me of this knockout Chakravagam he gave for the Malayalam film 'Aalapanam'. 'thanal virikkan'. No wonder we prostrate in front of him. Who wouldn't after listening to such a melody:

http://www.hummaa.com/music/song/tha...rikkan/129575#
    Enadu Vidiponi is a serene melody! This is one raagam where he always did the unexpected stuff. Even "Kottha Pittaro Kokko" (nonsensical lyrics) from Detective Narada is actually a beautiful chakravakam. Just that we need to scratch the surface (lyrics) away to enjoy its beauty!
    Just 7 notes behold a beauty of life...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast